Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Who should be in the nuclear club ?

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12578
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Who should be in the nuclear club ?

Post by papa_umau on Tue 13 Apr 2010, 10:54 am

If any of you are like me you would have thought about the risk that is displayed when more and more "unsteady" if not totally unstable countries get the bomb.

When the cold war was at it's height it was only Russia, ( the soviets ,) and America and France and us that had any serious capability to deliver nuclear weapons but now that this "club" of nations is widening all of the time we find that even if many of these states do not have serious delivery systems they DO have useable nuclear weapons. Among these states ( the ones that we worry about the most ) are China, Pakistan, India, Israel, North Korea and a few of the ex soviet-bloc countries that STILL hold stockpiles of such weapons even after the Soviet Union collapsed.

Now we see the likes of Iran scrabbling to get enough uranium processed, ( concentrated ), to be able to build a nuclear weapon - and this progress now seems unstoppable.

Even more stable states like Pakistan, ( seen as Western allies ), have recently also been seen by a powerful Harvard think-tank as insecure enough to not be able to guarantee that some of it's nuclear arsenal will not get into the hands of international terrorists.

See This: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/apr/12/pakistan-nuclear-weapons-security-fears

I worry that as time goes by and more and more countries get this technology it is only a matter of time until some group of lunatic extremists get their hands on a transportable nuke.

Am I just being paranoid here or do you folks think that there might a possibility of this happening in the future ?

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2661
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: Who should be in the nuclear club ?

Post by zathrus on Fri 16 Apr 2010, 11:33 am

Another question might be is: Should we be able to deny any other sovereign country from becoming a member of this club ?

If we are it starts to look like we are saying "We have it but you are not getting it !"
    Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2545
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 17 Apr 2010, 10:52 am

"Instability" is in the eye of the beholder and I just think that the big half dozen that already have the bomb just don't want the rest to get it.

They hide this basic idea under the non-proliferation treaty and yet the biggies are very slow about geting rid of the ones that are already stockpiled all around the world.

I heard David Cameron supporting the new Trident with the argument that we must keep our own independent nuclear deterrent if we are to feel safe from the rogue states that might get it. I have to admit that while I cannot support the massive cost that the new Trident is going to generate I too think that in a dangerous world we have to argue from a position of strength.

In fact I am terribly torn about this one ! Crying or Very sad
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12578
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Mon 19 Apr 2010, 11:59 am

Yes all, this IS a very sticky subject !

I guess that those that DO have the bomb certainly DON'T want any more countries in the world getting it, especially the unstable middle eastern countries or the rogue Communist states.

It IS a worry that as this technology spreads more and more people are going to be able to get their hands on it for whatever reasons.

A small atomic bomb that might be carried in a vehicle would be the ultimate terror weapon for the suicide-bombers to deploy and if they were capable of doing it, if we look back at 9/11 or 7/7, we can see that they would not baulk at delivering that kind of terror in the West.

As the only answer to the use of a nuclear device is a similar nuclear response then any such terrorist deployment of such a weapon could destabilise the whole world and risk a third world war.

With this argument to mind I certainly agree that the fewer states that have this technology the better for all of our sakes.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 23 Nov 2017, 3:00 pm