Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Are we heading for another Falklands war ?

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1284
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Re: Are we heading for another Falklands war ?

Post by Hell's Granny on Sun 28 Feb 2010, 2:35 pm

Let's turn it around, how would we react if the Argentinians invaded the Scilly Isles?

If there was oil discovered under the Scillies and the Argentinians started drilling for it, wouldn't we be more than a little miffed? I can understand their point.

(I was going to use the Channel Isles, but the Scillies are a better example)

Cheers, HG
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12578
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: Are we heading for another Falklands war ?

Post by papa_umau on Mon 01 Mar 2010, 12:51 pm

Yes HG, that is an excellent analogy !

I suppose that we still suffer a bit from Empire-itis as it has been long agreed in "Great" Britain that once we plant a flag somewhere the land under that flag automatically belongs to us.

The thing is that any such "imperial" power that does that has to be prepared to fight for that bit of land if the locals decide that they do not want to hand that particular bit of real-estate over to the conquerors.

I think the major difference here is that it is British people that are living on and working the land on The Falklands and The Argentine has previously shown no desire to live on or work that land. They have always laid claim to their "Malvinas" simply because they are quite close to the mainland.....AND....coincidentally, it seems, that recently it has been found that there is now going to be oil and gas UNDER these islands.

HERE is the inside story to this quarrel !

Papa......

Current date/time is Fri 24 Nov 2017, 2:08 am