Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

The sneaky supermarket multibuys !

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12578
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

The sneaky supermarket multibuys !

Post by papa_umau on Tue 16 Feb 2010, 11:32 am

It would appear that now that the supermarkets have trained us to think that we can save money by buying multi-packs of particular items they have sneakily started to make the multi-buy items more expensive than buying single or smaller packs of such items.

A probe has shown that Tesco asks almost 2.00 more for a 12-pack of Pepsi than they ask for two six-packs - a hike of 42%.

Rivals Sainsbury's, Asda and Ocado were also caught out.

Website http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk accused these stores of "short-changing" customers - who might assume that bigger packs work out cheaper.

Asda sells a pack of eight Gillette razor-blades for 14.91 but a packet of four for just 5.00. So, buying two packs of four would save shavers a massive 4.91.

Sainsbury's sell a 800g jar of Hellmann's Mayonnaise for 2.99 but a 400g jar for 1.00 - a 33% hike on the bigger jar as opposed to two of the smaller ones.

Online store Ocado sells a 500g jar of Marmite for 4.79 but one half the size for 2.03, leaving unsuspecting shoppers 73p out-of-pocket if they buy the big one instead of the two small ones.

Of course supermarkets can find excuses for such occurrences as they say that there are often promotions on the smaller versions.

What this adds up to to me is that the marketeers - who spend a lot of time trying to bamboozle us - are cynically doing this because they have already conned us into thinking that buying big is buying cheap.

All this proves to me is that when we go shopping we have to keep our wits about us if we are to beat these "marketeers" at their own game !

Last edited by papa_umau on Thu 18 Feb 2010, 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1284
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Re: The sneaky supermarket multibuys !

Post by Hell's Granny on Wed 17 Feb 2010, 11:55 pm

I agree, I have caught Tesco out many times, I always look up the price per 100gms or the equivalent.

Cheers, HG
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Thu 18 Feb 2010, 11:23 am

Good for you HG....It is just a shame that more consumers do not do that !

It is only because these "marketeers" - as I like to call them - seem comfortable that they can trick us into doing what they want us to do that actions like these are allowed to be successful.

May of us are our own worst enemies here as we try to get the shopping done as fast and with as little effort as possible. This kind of laziness falls right into the hands of the marketeers.

Papa......

Frenzied Feline
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Number of posts : 277
    Registration date : 2008-08-31

Post by Frenzied Feline on Thu 18 Feb 2010, 8:59 pm

Tja.. we caught Tesco out on our favoured filter coffee. It was cheaper to buy three packs of the smaller pack than the "two for one" larger pack version confused

Note .. read the packaging and offers carefully and compare elsewhere and haggle whenever you can at market too Laughing
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 19 Feb 2010, 11:35 am

Love the Silvester avatar Maril ! Very Happy

Talking about "haggling" in Britain......

Have you seen the advert done by the Iranian comic, Omid Djaleely (sp?) ? where he berates the Brits for not having any haggling qualities. He calls it having an overactive "cringe-gland" ( I am sure you would have heard of that in your medical history ). Twisted Evil

Well, even although it is a joke he is dead right as far as that goes; most Brits are terrified of the embarrassement attached to haggling and because of the fear of being embarrassed they often don't even try to haggle on price or quality.

I call it the "British disease" !

If we WERE to be a bit more self confident in these kinds of situations the retailers would not be so willing to try to rip us off !

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2653
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Fri 19 Feb 2010, 12:33 pm

Yeah I have seen that Iranian comedian. I think he is great !

I cannot imagine were he came from as the Iranians, en-masse, do not seem to have any sense of humour at all.

I also agree about the "cringe gland" and even if it might not be a real medical problem, ( and our Maril should know ), there does seem to be evidence that we Brits are far too reserved to haggle.

Like Maril and her family I actually get a real buzz out of haggling as I love to watch the faces of the punters that gather when I go to town. ( interpretation for Maril...."Go to town" meaning, make a scene whenever I can ).

I also agree that it must be done in a jokey way and never in an aggressive way as nothing is achieved by being aggressive in such situations.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 20 Feb 2010, 11:42 am

I'm not going shopping with you if you like to create a "scene" everywhere you go ! affraid

Only kidding.... cyclops

That is something that we should all be prepared to do when we are chucking our money about.

Well done Zath !

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2545
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 20 Feb 2010, 12:13 pm

I love that Omid Djalili too ( if that is how you spell it ).

His humour is clever and easily funny and he has the face for humour too. I particularly like it when he has a go at his own people. Very brave !

He does have it dead right that we usually avoid haggling as much as we can.

The thing is that he is so entertaining that I have already forgotten what he was advertising. clown
    Frenzied Feline
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Number of posts : 277
    Registration date : 2008-08-31

Post by Frenzied Feline on Wed 24 Feb 2010, 9:02 pm

Zal .. we Swiss have a reputation for our "scenes". We haggle ..barter down for best deal.
    BOGOF seems a real rip off. I use the reduced counter and get the BOGOF in full and make a profit :lol:whenver I can. Computers are just wonderful if you know how to manipulate here Laughing

BUT . you get a real feeling of satisfaction if you have got something for less than the asking price... a FEEL GOOD factor!
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Thu 25 Feb 2010, 11:56 am

Maril, you are beginning to sound just like a careful Scot might sound !

I think that we should award you a complimentary membership of the Scottish "barter" club ! cheers

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 21 Nov 2017, 12:06 pm