Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

The nuclear waste problem....

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12578
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

The nuclear waste problem....

Post by papa_umau on Sat 16 Jan 2010, 1:07 pm

Yes, I have put this in the rip-off section because I believe that the people of Britain and especially the people of Scotland are getting ripped off here.

Many years ago and when we first started to build nuclear power-stations they had a two-fold use: 1). They could expensively heat water to make steam to generate electricity and 2). A couple of the fissionable by-products of these plants could be used to make nuclear weapons.

Now that we have a large stockpile of plutonium and enriched uranium for our nuclear weapons need this one of the requirements of nuclear power-stations is less important, ( especially when we are supposed to be part of the world non-proliferation treaty that makes us get rid of a lot of our stockpile of nuclear warheads ).

Because nuclear power-stations do not put out any CO2 pollution in their energy-making capabilities this and past governments have tried to tell us that they are non-polluting. Nothing could be further from the truth !

Since we started to generate electricity using nuclear power there has been a large and ever-growing stockpile of low, medium and high nuclear waste being gathered in many places around the country. Because of this the London government have been of the opinion that we should find "good" areas where we can bury this waste deeply in rock-strata where it would be out of sight and out of mind.

Most of the environmental scientists believe that this would be a short-sighted and dangerous way to go as there would be no guarantee that leakage from this waste would not turn up again in the environment. As a result they have advised that until we can find some better way to deal with this waste it should be stored above ground in protected places where we can watch it and monitor it for as long as is required.

NOW... to come to Scotland:

At the moment much of this surface-stored waste is located in Cumbria - ( not surprisingly, well away from London and the highest conurbations of people ) - but as Scotland is said to have the best and most stable deep rock strata there has been suggestion that this would be the best place to bury the problem.

Of course we Scots do not agree that Scotland should become the dumping ground for any or all of the nuclear waste which is at the moment stored at the surface and close to where it was created !

The SNP Scottish Parliament have ruled out the building of ANY of the new traunch off nuclear power-stations that are in the planning stage and they are not in favour of any nuclear waste being transported to storage facilities either by land , sea or air to places where it was not created.

I would hope that the "British" government to NOT get their way in this respect ! Don't you ?

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2545
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Re: The nuclear waste problem....

Post by Angie baby on Sat 16 Jan 2010, 1:16 pm

I like that one Papa !

As I live quite close to Cumbria I too would not like any more of this kind of waste stored up here.

I can also understand why the Scottish people don't want this waste buried up their either.

It is a definite worry and I hope that this problem is sorted out ASAP.
    riders_on_the_storm
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 463
    Registration date : 2008-08-25

Post by riders_on_the_storm on Sun 17 Jan 2010, 11:08 am

It would be interesting to know how much there actually is lying about, I can't seem to find any figures on it?

I don't see the problem with either secure storage in thick concrete or deep-burial? Why is this so controversial? And before you say it paps no I don't want it in my back yard! I don't want a wind-farm in my back yard either.

I'm not saying it's no problem at all but I think it has been sensationalised because environmentalists see it [nuclear] as an easy, and high-output, option for CO2 free fuel production, thereby threatening their precious wind-farms.

Andrew
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 17 Jan 2010, 12:27 pm

riders_on_the_storm wrote:It would be interesting to know how much there actually is lying about, I can't seem to find any figures on it?

I don't see the problem with either secure storage in thick concrete or deep-burial? Why is this so controversial? And before you say it paps no I don't want it in my back yard! I don't want a wind-farm in my back yard either.

I'm not saying it's no problem at all but I think it has been sensationalised because environmentalists see it [nuclear] as an easy, and high-output, option for CO2 free fuel production, thereby threatening their precious wind-farms.

Andrew

You will not be able to find any figures for precisely how much of this kind of waste is lying about all around the country because "they" - the government - don't want us to know this. In fact, every gram of this stuff ever made in Britain is STILL hanging around with no acceptable method of getting rid of it having been found yet.

The burying, "out-of-sight-and-out-of-mind" has been part of a wish-list for many governments of the past as they want this stuff off their consciences. It is not guaranteed to be safe if it is stuck down a deep hole as even in the most stable of areas seismic activity can disturb all types of rock strata. If the deep caverns where this waste is stored ARE disturbed by such natural acts there is no reason to believe that some of it might not get into the water-table and come back to haunt us. THAT is the reason why it has not been buried long before this !

The best - and most acceptable by all - idea so-far for storing this stuff is to encase it in glass, ( vitrification ), and to store it above ground where it can be monitored. Because many of the radioactive isotope wastes have very long half-lives it could be hundreds or even thousands of years before this material becomes safe enough to dispose of as ordinary waste.

Be certain-sure that SCOTLAND is the favourite place to bury this problem and it is only by keeping on our toes and watching carefully that they will not be allowed to sneak this one by us.

The wind farms are not the "precious" property of the environmentalists as we realise that they are only ONE of the ways that the renewables can be used. It is government that seem keen on building thousands of these things all over the place while only paying lip-service to the other renewables.

Scotland already - via renewables - generates all of the power that we need up here and as we start to generate more and more it goes into the national grid to keep the voracious power-needs of Southern Britain asuaged. We even export electricity to the continent and to our Northern cousins, hence the need for a much larger capability of transmitting massive amounts of power down the spine of Scotland. ( Read the bru-ha-ha that is going on at the moment concerned with the proposed Beauly-to-Denny power-transmission line that is to be built specifically for the purpose mentioned above ! ).

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2661
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Mon 18 Jan 2010, 11:17 am

I found a figure but I don't know how dependable it might be:

The BBC News said that including the waste that will be produced from present nuclear power-stations after de-commissioning there will be 470,000 cubic metres of this stuff to get rid of. That is enough "to fill the Albert Hall five times over".

That's a lot of radioactive rubbish to try to hide.

Here is the news website that I found that figure on: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4407421.stm
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 19 Jan 2010, 12:02 pm

Thanks for that Zath !

I believe that most of this waste is of very low radiation risk and made up of many different isotopes of fissionable material and while I am sure it would be easy to safely pop some of it down a hole in the ground a lot of the other stuff with half-lives of hundreds or thousands of years will remain dangerous for a very long time.

That is why I think that the environmental scientists do not want it dumped in a hole in the ground as if it IS put permanently into such a place it will not be able to be monitored as to what it is doing in a hundred or more years time.

This is one waste problem that the government would dearly love to be out-of-sight-and-out-of-mind.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 23 Nov 2017, 2:39 pm