Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Hundreds of thousands in debt this winter !

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12079
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Hundreds of thousands in debt this winter !

Post by papa_umau on Mon 30 Nov 2009, 12:17 pm

Hundreds of thousands of parents will fall into debt to make ends meet this winter.

They will be forced to cut back on Christmas too - a survey by Save The Children revealed.

Almost two-thirds of families with an income of less that 30,000 beleive they will struggle financially and more than half planned to turn to high-interest payment options such as store cards, catalogues and door-step lenders to cover costs. Around the same amount said in the survey that they would buy fewer gifts for their children this year.

Almost a fifth said that it would take more than a year to pay back the money.

Those living in poverty - earning less than 12,000 - painted an even bleaker picture with almost eighty percent saying they would struggle badly. Fifty-five percent said that they were planning to borrow from high-interest lenders.

The charity are calling for rules to force high-street banks to provide affordable loans to familes that cannot get mainstream credit.

Fergus Drake, Save The Children's UK director said: "It is shocking that so many families have to borrow money to pay for day-to-day essentials like heating and food."

Well folks, here we have it AGAIN.... This rich country indicted that we have a large underclass that are deep in poverty simply because this wealth is just not trickling down to where it is needed. It is even worse that this rich/poor gap keeps widening and nobody is willing to do anything practical about it.

Last edited by papa_umau on Tue 01 Dec 2009, 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1217
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Re: Hundreds of thousands in debt this winter !

Post by Hell's Granny on Tue 01 Dec 2009, 12:58 am

Time for the revolution! (If we can stir people up enough!)

Apathy Rulezzzzzzzzzzzz

Cheers, HG
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12079
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Tue 01 Dec 2009, 12:27 pm

Yes HG, it certainly is !

I used to be a great fan of a character on the TV called Wolfie Smith who was an erstwhile "Commy" and a general rabble rouser who generated great fun out of the act of being a rebel. His "party" was the Tooting Popular Front and I think he was it's only member.

If you are ages with me you may remember this character but if you don't HERE is the website of this "party" where your memory will get jogged.

I think that there are many Brits like that that talk a good fight but when it comes right down to it they will not get off their "tushies" ( as you call them Very Happy ) in order to do the right thing.

Although I like to talk a lot too I also get OUT THERE and do what I can in real life to light a fire under the apathetic ones. One of the ways that I do this is to work as a volunteer on my local community council where I can have contact with lots of politicians even if I know that they are also hard to get going at times.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 22 Jul 2017, 1:31 am