Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Where has Papa been ?

Admin
    Owner & Editor in Chief
    Owner & Editor in Chief

Number of posts : 94
    Registration date : 2008-08-19

Where has Papa been ?

Post by Admin on Thu 08 Oct 2009, 5:11 pm

Hi there folks.....

You will have noticed that I have been posted missing !

Well, a nasty virus got into my computer and damaged it a few weeks ago.

I put it in for repair and it came back sort-of sorted but totally fell apart last Saturday. I found a trojan and discovered that it had seriously impaired my registry.

It went back into the repair shop but this time the techies could not get it working as the damage done was too severe. They were forced to do a clean re-install of my OS and all of my programmes and files and my internet connection too.

I just got it back today and I have been working hard to replace all of the lost programmes and settings.

THE MORAL OF THE TALE.....

Even if you have a very good anti-virus programme and you keep it right up to date, as I did, you still have to be very careful where you go and what/who you give permission to download to/from.

I knew all of this but had just started to be a bit too cavalier on the internet.

They say that "familiarity breeds contempt" and believe me that this is a very good maxim to live by.

Anyway folks, I will be back in full "Papa" mode tomorrow.

Until then have fun and continue to be kind to each-other.

Paul R.

If you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem !
    ( Eldridge Cleaver - Black civil-rights activist ).

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2545
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Re: Where has Papa been ?

Post by Angie baby on Sat 10 Oct 2009, 2:10 pm

Hi Paps.

Must admit that I hadn't noticed you had been away ! Razz

Of course I have been out of it too as I got the swine flu. Nasty ! Crying or Very sad

Feeling much better now and back at school. The thing is that next week they are on holiday again.

As like most teachers, I am permanently skint and if a person doesn't have any money to spend they are stuck in the house.

I really could do with some new shoes and handbags as well. affraid
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12578
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Sun 11 Oct 2009, 11:41 am

That's cruel Angie !

Not really surprising when one considers that you only come online to ROB2 once a week, on a Saturday.

Anyway, I hope you are feeling better after the swine-flu and as I and all of my family have escaped the first round of this pestilence I also hope that it does not come back in the winter renewed and reinvigorated.

I guess that we are all just going to have to keep our fingers crossed as far as that is concerned !

"Shoes and handbags" you say....I also guess that that is another "pestilence" that us guys just have to get used to and keep paying for. clown

Papa......

wrinkles

Number of posts : 84
    Registration date : 2009-08-27

Post by wrinkles on Mon 12 Oct 2009, 11:46 am

Angie, Without wishing to be too nosey, why are "Most" teachers Skint? I was under the impression that Teachers were, despite rumours to the contary, on a relatively decent wage these days. I quote from www.tda.gov.uk "from September 2009 you can expect to start as a newly qualified teacher in England and Wales on 21,102 a year." That's a Starting Figure. Good grief I've never earnt that much. But managed to buy a large house, support a wife and 3 kids, put 2 of them through uni and I have no debts. So what do teachers do with their money?

Last edited by wrinkles on Thu 15 Oct 2009, 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 12 Oct 2009, 12:21 pm

Are you sure that that is the right link Wrinkles, as it took me to the United States Trade and Development Agency ?????

Are you maybe thinking of USDAW ?

That aside....I have found that all people live up to the standard of life that their income can provide and very soon they find that that income is not doing everything that the person wants out of life.

I guess it is all about getting used to (x)-amount coming in each week or month and setting your standard of living either to or past that income. Once you are used to "(x)" standard of living you are inclined to take that income and it's rewards for granted.

I do agree with you that teachers are actually quite well paid even if young primary teachers like our Angie are not necessarily in that group.

Papa......

wrinkles

Number of posts : 84
    Registration date : 2009-08-27

Post by wrinkles on Thu 15 Oct 2009, 1:38 pm

Ooops! mea culpa. A senior moment there, (at my age I can legitimately claim one of those Laughing )
    Somehow I had omitted the .uk on the end of that link, but fear not for I have atoned for my error and made restitution by editing the post and inserting the .uk
    As the popular saying goes "I am very sorry and can assure you lessons have been learnt" so as you also know, that makes everything all right again. Wink
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 16 Oct 2009, 1:16 pm

Thanks for that Wrinkles !

I can always admire a man when he is willing to admit that he has made a mistake. Of course I am not one of those, as I am perfect - and modest too ! Evil or Very Mad Embarassed

I am sure that our Angie will have something to say about that tomorrow !

Papa......

riders_on_the_storm
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 463
    Registration date : 2008-08-25

Post by riders_on_the_storm on Tue 20 Oct 2009, 8:17 pm

Oh I had one of those viruses and it was hiding itself as a core running program, which it wasn't so it was proving difficult to delete. After trying to delete it without success I had to go into the registry and rip the little blighter out.

Phew!

BTW Angie did you take your Government poison, I mean vaccine, for "swine" flu?

Andrew
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Wed 21 Oct 2009, 10:02 am

Hi again Andrew...I thought something was up as you hadn't written for a while !

As you will see, I had some trouble just like you except the trojan that did my computer in buggered up just about everything including my OS. I had to get a clean re-install of XP and my main internet programmes. I spend the rest of last week replacing all of my other programmes. Good job I had them backed up.

( I had even made a clone of my whole hard drive but lost the disk to run it. Of course I found it after all of the bother I had getting everything put back the hard way Mad ).

It seems that no matter how careful we are or how good our anti-virus and our anti-malware is these nasty bits of code can still get through.

I hope that the rest of the users of ROB2 learn from our experiences !

PS....

I notice that your avatar is missing Andrew.....I left a note on the scrolling message banner about that !

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 24 Nov 2017, 3:59 am