Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Police paid for by taxation are they worth it

wrinkles

Number of posts : 84
    Registration date : 2009-08-27

Police paid for by taxation are they worth it

Post by wrinkles on Thu 24 Sep 2009, 12:07 pm

I was reading the Daily Express this morning (Pause for heckling about it being a Tory rag etc) There were two interesting articles the first by Leo Mckinstry titled
    POLICE HAVE BECOME A POLITICALLY CORRECT INCOMPETENT MESS. which highlights the failings of police forces in this country a couple of excerpts:-

THE warped values of the modern police are a graphic indicator of Britain’s decline.

We once had the finest force in the world, a bulwark of civilisation that protected society and punished criminality but that sense of moral purpose has evaporated.

Today’s police do not regard the maintenance of order as their central duty. Obsessed with social engineering and cultural diversity, they no longer know whose side they are on.

His major criticism was in regard to the Pilkington case where Despite 33 increasingly desperate calls for help from Ms Pilkington and her family Leicestershire police did nothing to tackle the yobs.

another excerpt :- Two cases, one involving a genuine crime, the other an alleged “thought crime”, illustrate this point. A friend, who runs a successful motor business, had been the victim of a serious credit card fraud, perpetrated by a gang based in
    Manchester.

Having got away with the fraud once, the gang decided to try their luck again, attempting to buy goods from my friend with another false credit card. But this time he was ready. He told the gang that they would have to pick up the goods in person in the south­east rather than having them shipped to the North­ west.

The trap appeared to have been set. My friend rang the police, gave them all the details and explained that it would be simple to arrest the fraudsters on his premises while they were attempting to commit their crime.

To his astonishment the police were not interested. “Lack of resources,” was yet again the excuse. so the gang were not caught as they easily could have been if the police had not been so enfeebled.

Yet the police seem to have plenty of resources to seize Ben and Sharon Vogelenzang, a Christian couple who run a hotel in Liverpool. After an argument about their faith with a Muslim guest they were arrested a couple of months later and charged with “reli­giously aggravated behaviour” under the Public Order Act.

The main thrust of the article was in regard to the increased cost of the PC policing and the decreased solving of crime.

The second story concerned uninsured drivers and published the post codes of the top 20 areas with the most uninsured cars. 10 of the top 20 were in Birmingham where up to 50% of vehicles in those areas are uninsured affraid .
    I would ask WHY? we the tax payers have paid to supply police with very expensive equipment, ANPR systems which enables the police to drive down any street and automatically record number plates and then compare them instantly with the insurance database. The system can highlight any vehicle with no tax, no insurance or no MOT. The police then have the power to confiscate any illegal vehicle.
    But does this ever happen? are there ANPR checkpoints set up in any of these areas. Not to my knowledge. I wonder if the fact that in 9 out of 10 of these areas the majority of the population is made up of immigrants and ethnic minorities and therefore it would be very non-PC to make these people conform to BRITISH law and would probably mean some infringement of their human rights .
    Oh! dear that's done it the thought police will be breaking down my door at any moment.

I have no wish to stir up any racist feelings Only illustrate the point that we are being ripped off by the police, we pay a small fortune in taxes to fund these various forces and they are as the saying goes "Not fit for purpose"

I do have a suggestion for the powers that be. Replace all the speed cameras with ANPR cameras. The revenue generated from fines would far outstrip that of the speeding fines, The number of cars taken off the road would work wonders for congestion, My insurance would be reduced if I didn't have the £30 levy to cover me for uninsured driver loss and the roads would be lot safer.

There again to me and many others that is plain common sense which, sadly is almost unknown with the powers that be.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12344
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: Police paid for by taxation are they worth it

Post by papa_umau on Thu 24 Sep 2009, 12:28 pm

Thanks for that "wrinkles". An excellent subject to discuss !

While I have always been willing to lean over in support of our police, as they do a difficult job with ever-diminishing resources, I do agree that as far as the hierarchy of the police is concerned they do seem to have lost their way.

It seems as if they are now more concerned with image than with actually doing the job they have the remit to carry out.

The police bosses seem to spend all of their waking hours deciding who to "target" next in their fragmented action policies. All this does is to swamp one subject for a few weeks so that they can get the kudos before they go away and "target" something else.

The general population of this country have been asking the police to get more feet on the ground for years and yet they seem unable to do this simple thing. That is why such injustices as you highlighted above come about so regularly.

Oh yes, the modern British police force, ( not the ones at the pointed end of course ), need to completely re-arrange their prorities so that the people on the streets and in the towns of Britain can feel safe in their homes and on the streets once again.

On this task they are failing miserably !

Papa......

wrinkles

Post by wrinkles on Thu 24 Sep 2009, 1:17 pm

An ex-police sergeant acquaintance of mine is adamant that this failure is due in no small part to the top brass. They being the ones that came into the force on the strength of a degree in some such and lots of qualifications in theoretical policing but absolutely none in the practical side. Add in the lefty tendencies and political bent and you have a disaster.
    AS you say each week a different initiative, target this, target that. Once targeted, that should cure the ill so forget it from now on. There is no consistency for the boots on the ground they don't know which PC project they should be doing so do nothing.
    It was reported in the papers yesterday that some force down south had found, much to their amazement, that by putting bobbies on the beat again crime figures had taken a nose dive. Well fancy that! Who would have thought it? apart of course from the vast majority of the public who have been telling these Muppet's for decades that policing means being on the beat not swanning around in panda cars
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Thu 24 Sep 2009, 2:14 pm

I think that you and I could fix it if we could get our hands on the problem ! bounce Mad

Papa......

wrinkles

Post by wrinkles on Thu 24 Sep 2009, 4:01 pm

Unlikely, we would use simple common sense, which we all know is banned in public service establishments. Rolling Eyes
    Frenzied Feline
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Number of posts : 277
    Registration date : 2008-08-31

Post by Frenzied Feline on Sun 27 Sep 2009, 10:52 am

Errr they said speed cameras were supposed to "free resources". We've never noticed any more cops around. In fact it got to the stage where even the local MAYOR led a revolt encouraging us to deduct the plod levy given Brunstrop's appalling record on "real criminals caught" Rolling Eyes

In fact we have this officer (thank God he's "retiring") spouting that all drugs should be legalised as "people cannot help an addiction"

err . yes they can. They can say NO! in the first place.

No one orders them to take these drugs... some of which .. like GBL are not actually pushed by organised criminals but are offered like toffees in clubs and discos - taken by middle class students. We recently lost a promising medical student to one of these lethal cocktails. Crying or Very sad Better education and meaningful deterrents for those dealing and encouraging others to take these as it's almost the same lethal harm as stabbing them.

Then we have the quite odd "tolerance" for folk from a different culture and skin pigmentation. This should make zero difference if we are all "equal" - and to my mind shows them a greater respect as being treated the same as anyone else - across creed/colour/class. Rolling Eyes

Question why their women see fit to wear a burka/niqab or applaud France's attitude on all religious symbols .. whatever the religion/cult in that they cannot be worn on any official business but can in private matters..and you are branded "anti-social/racist" etc,

Question why a police officer defends his right to speed "because he has been trained" and dare suggest that these officers be brought to account, as any other member of the public, when their actions kill an innocent member of the public - and you are branded "anti-police". In fact criticise the police in any way - you are "anti-police" and I will now expect Leo McKinstry to be arrested for his "anti-police" article.

But then "political correctness" would seem to be a dogmatic cult in its own right and heaven help the person who disagrees with this other brand of "extremist" who are actually equal to the suicide bomber in terms of destruction of our society. Shocked Shocked

As for lack of resources? Brunstrop could find the manpower to prosecute Anne Robsinson for a flippant barb and some person asking he had been done for overtaking what I think was my stolen lawn mower at the time Rolling Eyes ... but not to track down the person who broke into our home and nicked our lawn mower/tractor along with some other personal belongings.

Grrr. Politically correct fools. Where's Wolfy Smith when I need him! Very Happy I'm in a cycnical mood today OOPS!
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 27 Sep 2009, 11:56 am

Thanks for your usual thought-provoking input Maril !

I agree that there has ben a number of actions that are supposed to "free up resources" so as to put more cops "on the beat" but this never seems to happen.

Many of the clerical jobs that used to tie up cops have now been handed over to civilian operatives and courts are now managing to stop having cops hanging around to give evidence nearly as much as they used to do and yet with all of these "resource-releasing" actions we STILL don't find more cops on the beat or ready to attend to antisocial crimes never mind the serious ones.

There is something REALLY wrong with this picture and they don't seem to have a clue about how to even start to sort out these problems.

Papa......

wrinkles

Post by wrinkles on Wed 07 Oct 2009, 3:39 pm

I am of an age when Policemen, (there were few policewomen) were universally respected. As kids we got a clipped ear off the local copper for any wrongdoing. If I complained to my parents about it I got another one for getting into trouble. There was, admittedly, less crime and certainly yobbish behaviour was almost unknown, mainly because we all had a healthy respect for authority, other people and ourselves. The shame for the family if the police came to the door....
    But crime, all crime was investigated and most of the time the case was solved.
    Today crime solving consists of handing out a crime number and very little else.
    Am I anti police? in fact my daughter is currently at uni reading criminology and forensics as a step toward becoming a police officer. I know her presence is not going to make a difference but I will be able to rest knowing she is in a, stable, well paid and SAFE job.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 09 Oct 2009, 11:10 am

Being from the same generation as you Wrinkles, I recognise that description very well.

Yes it certainly seems to be true that the copper on-the-beat, ( whenever you can find one ), is not respected nearly as much as he/she was in those halcion days.

The thing about this is that we know it and THEY know it that this has come about because of lack of visibility of the blue uniform.

Typically - where I now stay again and used to a number of years ago - each of the small towns along our foothils - which number as five - had their own 24-hour-manned police-station and at least three coppers covering each town. Now all of these active police stations are closed and we only see a copper when he or she pass by in a panda or a traffic car.

I would not be surprised if this situation exists in just about all communities now.

Last edited by papa_umau on Fri 16 Oct 2009, 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Papa......

wrinkles

Post by wrinkles on Mon 12 Oct 2009, 12:19 pm

I know what you mean. I live in a Birmingham suburb where we too had a large police station, manned 24/7. It is now 9-5, out of these hours we have to contact a Main station 10 miles away where inevitably the answer is No resources.
    I got into trouble some months ago when the incredibly rare sight of two, yes two policemen were actually walking down our road. I couldn't resist the temptation and called them over to ask if they were lost and offering directions to the police station. To say they were not amused is an understatement but it did amuse me, the look on they're faces was a classic.
    I was subsequently informed, via our residents committee that in fact these were our Local beat bobbies, the outgoing showing the new one the local area. Sufficient to say neither have been seen or been contactable since that sighting despite us being given telephone numbers and email address of the new LBO.
    We are fortunate that there are relatively few problems in our road, however there are still incidents such as last year 15 cars had tyres slashed some all 4, mine 2 and some just one. It took the police 8 days before they came for statements and even then they were reluctant to give out crime numbers and of course by that time there was no evidence to be collected so no investigation ergo no culprit Neutral
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 12 Oct 2009, 12:39 pm

The exact-same thing happened in a medium-sized town nearby where I stay last year.

The wife and I were strolling through the farmer's market in this town and lo-and-behold there was TWO coppers strolling through the market too !

Being a bit like you I asked what this very unusual presence was all about and they very nicely said that there had been reports of pickpockets trawling this market.

We went up the street and did a bit of shopping in the town and went back to the car-park, ( where the market was situated ), to get the car and I saw the two cops starting to leave the market area. I asked if that was them finished with this particular anti-crime drive and they said, rather sheepishly, that they had other places to be.

I have never seen a blue uniform at that market or on the streets of that town since !

Sometimes I wonder where they all hide ?

Papa......

wrinkles

Post by wrinkles on Thu 15 Oct 2009, 1:29 pm

A couple of other incidents, I had my shed, which is at the far end of the garden, broken into, on investigation I found that nothing had been taken but oddly there was a very new looking petrol driven strimmer lying inside. After due consideration I phoned the plod and a couple of days later plod duly arrived. At the time I was engaged in adding coiled barbed wire along the top of the side gate something that plod evidently did not approve of as I was on the receiving end of a lecture informing me it was an offence and should any intruder injure themselves on it I could expect to be charged with failing to assist an offender in the course of his robbery, or some such rubbish. I duly informed the ossifer that until such time as the police force were prepared to station a man in my garden to protect my property or respond within a few minutes to my call then the barbed wire both on the gate and the considerably larger coils along my rear fence would stay and I would see him in court. I heard no more about it.
    We then got to the strimmer donated by the local shed breaker. Plod was clearly puzzled but it was taken away in the hope it would be reclaimed, and if it wasn't then after the passage of 6 months It would be mine. 5 months and 3 weeks later I called at the police station bearing the crime number and enquired if it had been reclaimed. Guess what? The crime number didn't exist and there was no record of the strimmer or the break in to my shed. The desk sergeant was quite troubled when I told him in no uncertain terms that they should be on the lookout for a cunning thief who's modus operandi was to call at houses disguised as a police officer and driving a marked police car.
    That didn't go well. But they eventually let me out.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 16 Oct 2009, 1:22 pm

Yeah, surprisingly, "plod" has no sense of humour !

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 23 Sep 2017, 5:38 pm