Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Those damned autocheckouts !

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12578
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Those damned autocheckouts !

Post by papa_umau on Fri 18 Sep 2009, 12:37 pm

I see that both B&Q and the bigger supermarkets are introducing more and more of those electronic self-service checkouts.

I don't know about you folks but I find them a REAL pain !

It would not be so bad if they worked all of the time but they are annoyingly time-wasting when they don't. On top of that they often will not accept some notes in payment and they just keep chucking the notes back at you. GRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ! Evil or Very Mad

If these frustrating bits of kit were actually making one's life easier the policy would not be so bad, but rather than actually being a boon to the customer all they are is a bloody nuisance that save the company the wages of a checkout operator.

In B&Q I have found that these damned things take up more assistant time than if the assistants were actually working a checkout due to them always having to go to the aid of people who either don't understand how to work them or because the machine is playing up.

In my local B&Q there is now only one "manned" checkout, one checkout for dealing with returns and four of these automated checkouts. The queues that form for people that want to pay and get out are getting bigger and longer by the hour.

I would have thought that - using the jargon of the marketeers - shopping should be a "happy and fulfilling experience", but these bloody machines are making it a miserable and frustrating time.

Don't you agree ?

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2661
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: Those damned autocheckouts !

Post by zathrus on Fri 18 Sep 2009, 12:56 pm

Don't get me started on those things !

The worst quality of these machines is that you cannot make them work better by shouting at them. You cannot even reason with them when they choose to muck you about.

No, give me a happy and willing sales assistant every time.

I wonder if the sales experts in the supermarkets know how we feel about these things ? I bet that either they don't or they don't care as the autocheckouts are cheaper to run than the manned checkouts are.

Current date/time is Fri 24 Nov 2017, 4:00 am