Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Drunken idiots on planes.

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2580
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Drunken idiots on planes.

Post by zathrus on Thu 17 Sep 2009, 11:19 am

I read yet another story today about a drunk on board a holiday jet causing mayhem and fear as he cracked up and started to threaten the passengers and cabin staff because they would not sell him any more alcohol. ( seemingly he and his girlfriend had come on-board the aircraft already heavily under the influence ).

As this is happening more and more often these days I don't know why the authorities and the airlines don't crack down on drinking before and during flights.

Surely it would be easy for the security staff in the departure lounge to give breathalysers to people who were suspected of being drunk so that they are never allowed to get on the plane in the first place. Then if all drinking of alcohol was banned while the plane was in the air we would not see people getting out of their heads with booze while flying.

Of course, the airlines will say that they need to sell drink onboard so that they can keep their profits healthy and the BAA will say the same about their airports, but I say that this is hypocritical as using this argument they seem to want to keep their cake and they want to eat it too.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12332
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: Drunken idiots on planes.

Post by papa_umau on Fri 18 Sep 2009, 12:04 pm

I suggested this some time ago on the old ROB but I did so knowing that their desire to make money will never allow them to go down that route. Neither would the government make them do it either as if they did they would not want the indictment chucked at them that they were interfering with the rights of a company to trade freely.

It's a paradox that would be difficult to get around !

Maybe they will do something after one of these drunken nutters brings a plane down.

Papa......

Current date/time is Tue 19 Sep 2017, 11:34 pm