Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Town Planning.

Markfox01

Number of posts : 120
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Town Planning.

Post by Markfox01 on Thu 03 Sep 2009, 3:53 pm

The latest issue I feel that something needs to be done is town planning. Of late I have seen a number of towns and cities being modernised and where "NEW" city/town centres are being built, leaving the old ones like a scene froma wild west ghost town.
    Due to foot traffic going down in the old centres small business are being hit badly by this.

Also the increase in building upon building just out side towns is starting to become a problem. Tamworth, is a issue as I speak where there is a mass of building work being done on an area where there is a main supermarket. thus creating a problem. but when one shop is done the competition then takes over with there improvements, in the end we are left with superstores and no parking or roads created around these places making it a nightmare to get too.

I really am concerned with town planners and there very short sighted vision. and don't understand why they don't "rebuild" and not "build more". also the amount of empty offices in the UK is unreal why cant they be converted to flats to help the housing problem??
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12578
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: Town Planning.

Post by papa_umau on Fri 04 Sep 2009, 12:05 pm

This precise issue has been a bone of contention with me and my favourite niece as she came over from Ireland and lived with us while she went through her university degrees in Dundee and in Stirling. She qualified as a "town planner" and during her studies and afterwards she and I used to go at it about how useless town planners really are.

After she went back to Ireland and got married she started to work for a local authority but very soon she found that she was not going to be allowed to use her training in the planning. Everything that was done was done because of company profits and kickbacks and the needs of the people were very seldom considered when plans were allocated for building control.

She very soon found that she could not do that job and after admitting that I was right - again pirat - she and her husband started up a housing association building and renting affordable housing for the people of Sligo and district.

Papa......

Markfox01

Number of posts : 120

Post by Markfox01 on Fri 04 Sep 2009, 12:11 pm

paps I dont know what to say, I had a sneaky suspicion that councils where taking back handers from industry to build where and when they want. I cant see why these people can not look at the problems its causing.. they will in time bring entire cities to stand still. there will be a bottle effect and its happening now on traffic, and there will be more building work into green belt areas.

So in essence the "planning" is a thing of the past, its more a control of who can back hand the most...
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 04 Sep 2009, 12:29 pm

Yes Mark, sadly it appears that graft and corruption plays a bigger part than actual long term "planning" does and I agree that if something is not changed in the way that they do their job we are going to find that we are all living in cheap and nasty housing with nothing but a supermarket as a way to bring these poorly-planned communities together into any kind of a cohesive society.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2661

Post by zathrus on Fri 04 Sep 2009, 1:46 pm

The trouble that I find is that all of the brownfield sites that are left by defunct industry or demolished tenements are replaced by high-amenity and high cost yuppy flats.

All of the docklands in just about any city are now the living-places and playgrounds of the young and rich while the ordinary folks are stuck in brand new slums in the new-towns.
    Frenzied Feline
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Number of posts : 277
    Registration date : 2008-08-31

Post by Frenzied Feline on Fri 04 Sep 2009, 7:04 pm

zathrus wrote:The trouble that I find is that all of the brownfield sites that are left by defunct industry or demolished tenements are replaced by high-amenity and high cost yuppy flats.

All of the docklands in just about any city are now the living-places and playgrounds of the young and rich while the ordinary folks are stuck in brand new slums in the new-towns.

I hear Salford and other cities have fritted away council tax cash on daft projects Rolling Eyes
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 05 Sep 2009, 12:32 pm

Yes Maril, we have lot of them up here as well !

I can name three so-called "new-towns" that were built to decant people out of the cities, which have degenerated into soulless slums.

Livingston new-town, Cumbernauld new-town and Glenrothes new-town.

( Cumbernauld in particular has been named as the Carbuncle of Scotland a number of times ! )

All of these artificial conurbations were built to house city overflow and every one of them is lacking in true town-spirit.

It seems that the "planners" have no other remit than to build places to stay, places to buy stuff and places to get sick and die in. They NEVER have true community spirit or any social cohesion built into them.

Now they are planning to build the biggest one yet in Lothian. They are going to call it Blindwells, ( with initially 1200 houses ) and it will be an overflow for Edinburgh city. I hope that they have learned lessons from the mistakes they made in the other new-town debachles.

We shall see !

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 24 Nov 2017, 2:06 am