Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Bus fares too high !

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12344
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Bus fares too high !

Post by papa_umau on Fri 21 Aug 2009, 12:07 pm

It was reported today that bus firms are to be investigated by watchdogs over claims that fares are too high.

The Office of Fair Trading say passengers are getting a raw deal in areas where few companies compete.

They said that there had been complaints alleging "predatory behaviour" by established bus firms to new rival companies and they have asked the Competition Commission to investigate this 3.6 billion industry.

OFT chief executive, John Fingleton, said: "This is a market where 1.2 billion comes from public subsidy so restricted competition can have a significant impact on taxpayers.

Watch this space is the order of the day I think !

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2585
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: Bus fares too high !

Post by zathrus on Fri 21 Aug 2009, 1:10 pm

Bus fares and train fares have always been too high and that is why public transport in Britain is a joke.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 22 Aug 2009, 11:46 am

At least in Scotland we see pensioners getting free bus travel anywhere in the country via the bus-pass.

Now what I want to see is this extended to cover the railways too !

Papa......

Frenzied Feline
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Number of posts : 277
    Registration date : 2008-08-31

Post by Frenzied Feline on Sun 23 Aug 2009, 8:39 pm

papa_umau wrote:At least in Scotland we see pensioners getting free bus travel anywhere in the country via the bus-pass.

Now what I want to see is this extended to cover the railways too !

Well... in Merseyside where my sister teaches ... they have the highest council tax in the country... but all pensioners have enjoyed free public transport on all their public transport - including the local trains - long before Westminster made provision in Budget (forget which one .. it was a Brown one anyway.. Neutral

Back home - our pensioners also enjoy similar gratuities - but Swiss pay very high taxes during their working lives which provide for this amongst many services. I think again it depend how governments spend our hard earned cash. But as we all know - some have to have the most expensive crystal dish to scoop their morning grapefruits from! Cash which should be used to subsidise these essentials - especially if they want us to stop driving. Asking folk to pay a congestion charge on top of sky high petrol costs in a bust time of the bankers and policy makers collective incompetenece to fund public transport is a No to a beleaguered taxpayer stuggling to make ends meet. And let's face it .. most are on minimum or not that much more in wages.

Fares are ridiculous. I can pay a return fare of 7.50 to the nearest large shopping town. It's only 5 miles. Even with high petrol costs and free parking at the supermarket so long as I shop there (and I do .. I hog the "cut price counter" Laughing - Would you believe I got some steaks which should have cost me a tenner for just two quid? Laughing Whheee=eeee! cheers. It's another rant.. how can they charge so much and reduce to coppers and still record mega profits?) Anyway .. if I used the bus at such high cost .. I wipe out my gain on the reduced counters and pound shops. I also have to carry the darned stuff too. Shoving it into the boot and even allowing for high petrol costs/insurance /service charges broken down to a daily rate here .. I'd still gain. Rolling Eyes

But .. Papa .. we have to pay for all this somehow and we have to balance direct taxation against services to be fair to those sharks we ALL appear to have elected. I do not begrudge my tax. But I want that collective tax we ALL pay .. including some of our pensioners ... to provide essential services in return.

I disapprove of squandering on politically correct nonsense. phoney wars.. bizarre expense claims.. when that cash is required to help those in our society who need basic essentials.. and we also need to put in measures to re-knit the loopholes which some phoneys manipulate under false pretences too.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 24 Aug 2009, 11:37 am

Yes Maril....The most important point is WHERE our taxes are spent and HOW they are wasted on pet projects and government black holes.

When I speak about pensions for instance I always say that the people in government that continually whine about how much a decent state pension costs as opposed to all of the tax that is taken should be looking at it in a completely different way; they should be deciding what percentage of the pot is required to pay similar pensions to the rest of Europe and then they should take that off first and before they think of spending any other money elsewhere.

Here is a pie-chart printout of where the money was spent this year:

I will be prepared to bet that just about anybody here can spend that total much better than they do.

What do you - or anybody - think ?

Papa......

Markfox01

Number of posts : 120

Post by Markfox01 on Mon 24 Aug 2009, 5:27 pm

Whats social Protection?? is that the police and NHS??
    Markfox01

Post by Markfox01 on Mon 24 Aug 2009, 5:28 pm

No hang on.. NHS is health care.. so whats Social protection?? it makes me wander why the figure is over a quarter of expenditure??
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 25 Aug 2009, 12:14 pm

Well spotted Mark !

That one used to be included in the "other" expenditure but they now call it "Social Protection"

I too have often wondered what is included in this 189 billion spending hole.

As I said before,I am sure that many of us could save billions from the expenditure of the treasury if we were allowed to prioritise the most important ways that our taxes should be spent.

It seems that because this money is easily come by the government departments that all have a slice of that pie are not inclined to be frugal when they spend OUR money.

Here is the government definition of these words:

Straight from the Social Security Department's website:

Social Protection:

Social protection refers to a set of benefits available (or not available) from the state, market, civil society and households, or through a combination of these agencies, to the individual/households to reduce multi-dimensional deprivation. This multi-dimensional deprivation could be affecting less active poor persons (e.g. the elderly, disabled) and active poor persons (e.g. unemployed). This broad framework makes this concept more acceptable in developing countries than the concept of social security. Social security is more applicable in the conditions, where large numbers of citizens depend on the formal economy for their livelihood. Through a defined contribution, this social security may be managed. But, in the context of wide spread informal economy, formal social security arrangements are almost absent for the vast majority of the working population. Besides, in developing countries, the state's capacity to reach the vast majority of the poor people may be limited because of its limited resources. In such a context, multiple agencies that could provide for social protection is important for policy consideration. The framework of social protection is thus capable of holding the state responsible to provide for the poorest sections by regulating non-state agencies.

As far as I can see this term is a catch-all for any monies spent that cannot easily be accounted for and I am sure that if even a small amount of this money was put towards the state pension, ( as it should be if it is truly "Social Protection" against poverty ), we in Britain would NOT now be at the bottom of the league as far as such pensions stand in Europe.

Papa......

Markfox01

Post by Markfox01 on Tue 25 Aug 2009, 4:08 pm

From what I can tell everything already outlined in that piece of what social protection is trying to be, is already outlined in other areas agendas. the DWP already or supposedly has a Pension pot for the pension claimants.

I am very skeptical on the actually true reason why there is a fluffy answer on what it is really... In fact, i bet its a area that is for the support of things the genral public will be not happy about.. like support in nations with oil.. or even paying countries like America for Intelligents.. or some bull crap. i am really interested in looking into this further.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Wed 26 Aug 2009, 10:55 am

I am inclined to agree with you on that one Mark as I am sure that a lot of expenditure just cannot be explained if it is dodgy expenditure in our names. I suspect that that is why that definition of "Social Protection" is so wooly in it's description.

This just goes to confirm that if the government REALLY wanted to they could easily find the money to give the pensioners of Britain a decent old-age retirement without the fear of poverty and death from hypothermia.

I am sure that if WE were asked to look for that money that BOTH OF US could find it from the hidden black holes that the government don't want to admit even exist.

I can easily suggest just one here: If they scrapped the committment to the Americans to renew Trident2, THAT would easily pay for a decent pension for our old folks all on it's own.

Papa......

Markfox01

Post by Markfox01 on Wed 26 Aug 2009, 12:45 pm

papa_umau wrote:I am inclined to agree with you on that one Mark as I am sure that a lot of expenditure just cannot be explained if it is dodgy expenditure in our names. I suspect that that is why that definition of "Social Protection" is so wooly in it's description.

This just goes to confirm that if the government REALLY wanted to they could easily find the money to give the pensioners of Britain a decent old-age retirement without the fear of poverty and death from hypothermia.

I am sure that if WE were asked to look for that money that BOTH OF US could find it from the hidden black holes that the government don't want to admit even exist.

I can easily suggest just one here: If they scrapped the committment to the Americans to renew Trident2, THAT would easily pay for a decent pension for our old folks all on it's own.

totally agree with you on that.. we are one of the most modern warfare countries in the world.. trident is more advanced than most countries out there already.. trident 2 is like up grading you computer from windows Vista to windows 7, your not gaining or losing really anything and both serve the same purpose...
    Pensions always seems to be a pot of money that gets hit hard and fast first. My generation will be working till death, infact I bet I will never retire...

The biggest gripe that gets me aswell is what has pouring billions in the banks actually done?? when if they poured the money into manufacturing that would have pulled us out of recession quicker... as more jobs would have been saved and the wheels of industry would have kept turning.. the dodgy lending would have collapsed and the stronger companies would have replaced them.

But I always wonder, if the current government is a "intellectual banana republic"? Like a banana republic but the angle of attack is far more intelligent... but is that the future of democracy??
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Thu 27 Aug 2009, 11:50 am

I am solidly of the opinion that they threw that much money at the banks because eventually they would have to recover and pay it all back with interest.

I don't think they had the same hope for struggling industry as when they are down they are OUT and all of their debts are lost.

Well at least I HOPE they are right in this idea as if they are not, not only the banks will go down but - like Iceland - the country will go down too.

There is already talk of the nationalised banks starting to pay back the cash that was chucked at them.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 23 Sep 2017, 5:37 pm