Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Three out of four people now support assisted suicide !

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12115
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Three out of four people now support assisted suicide !

Post by papa_umau on Sun 26 Jul 2009, 12:35 pm

In a "Populous" poll it was found that now three out of four people in Britain would support voluntary euthanasia and assisted suicide.

Also, while at one time the Royal college of Nursing would stand against this practice they have now voted by almost fifty percent to take a neutral stance and to be willing to talk with anyone who stands for OR against this practice.

See THIS

Meanwhile, a poll for The Times newspaper found that seventy-five percent of those that voted would like to see doctors being allowed to assist in the suicide of terminally ill patients.

With a steady increase in the numbers of people who are now going abroad to commit suicide - usually via the Swiss company Dignitas - this subject is becoming more and more important and unavoidable.

A vote triggered by independent MSP Margo McDonald, will soon decide if Scotland are to once again lead the rest of the country in this policy.

The developing of this subject previously has been hampered by two major forces:

1). All doctors are bound by their Hippocratic oath not to do any harm and that oath put's them in a very difficult situation when making such decisions. ( Of course assisted suicide in Britain is STILL against the law ).

And....

2). The churches are seriously biased in this subject by immovable dogma and they DO have a very strong influence on secular lawmaking in Britain.

Comments please.

Last edited by papa_umau on Sun 26 Jul 2009, 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2406
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Re: Three out of four people now support assisted suicide !

Post by Angie baby on Sun 26 Jul 2009, 12:57 pm

This is a very difficult subject Paps and as such few people are willing to talk about it.

Those that are against the idea should put themselves into the shoes of any person that is in that situation before making a decision on behalf of a loved one.

They say that pain management and palliative care is excellent in Britain and while this might be the case in some places it is certainly not in all of them.

I had an elderly relative who died not so long ago in one of these hospices and I can tell you all that she died in terrible pain, covered in bed-sores and although the death certificate said she died of pneumonia I can tell you that she dies from malnutrition.

When I see this subject being raised over and over again and nothing actually done to change the situation I immediately think of how we treat animals that are in pain: we quickly put them out of their misery, don't we ? !

If we can be so civilised about caring for our pets why do we find it so difficult to do the same favour for our friends and relatives ?
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12115
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Mon 27 Jul 2009, 12:57 pm

Yeah Angie...that's the word; "Civilised" !

I too have been a supporter of voluntary euthanasia for some time - with plenty of built-in safeguards of course - and I have been a member of the Scottish group "EXIT" for some years.

Also, being an athiest, I do not have any religious hangups over this subject either.

Yes my dear, there is a serious move afoot now in many areas to change these laws in Britain and especially in Scotland.

We are just going to have to wait and see what happens I suppose.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 28 Jul 2017, 5:55 pm