Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Michael Jackson

Michael Jackson

Post by Guest on Fri 26 Jun 2009, 7:30 am

I've made a promise to myself. From today, I will not read any newspapers, watch 24 hour rolling news or enter into a conversation with anyone who starts with 'did you see Michael Jackson is dead' for at least this weekend!

Was anyone else surprised that Question Time was interrupted last night to bring us the news about Michael Jackson? I certainly was, and I'm disappointed with the BBC if I'm honest. I don't think it was justified. After all, I certainly knew before Question Time started that he'd most likely died and made a conscious decision to switch off Sky News and watch Leanne Wood on Question Time instead. After all, in the world of 24 hour news I knew I'd catch up with events the minute the programme was over.

Yes, he was an icon to millions (not me). And yes, there will be a crazy amount of media attention to the story of the next few days, weeks and years even. However, even though its a huge story its still a celebrity story in the end. Surely, there are far more important stories that would warrant such an interruption? Its just that I didn't need to hear all the gory details until after QT. Rant over.

I sympathise with his family....and that's it.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12079
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: Michael Jackson

Post by papa_umau on Fri 26 Jun 2009, 10:39 am

In my opinion Jackson was seventy-percent hype and thirty percent talent. His publicity machine was one of the best in the business and even after the alleged child offences the Jackson phenomenon still rolled on.

I personally feel very sorry for him as he was such a narcissist that he tried - and could pay for - as much plastic surgery as he wanted to indulge in. All that this did was to turn him into a bizarre freak.

I am sure that this troubled person will now be at peace in death as he certainly wasn't in life.

Now, I say, let's remember him for his best work, ( "Thriller", in my estimation ), and let us forget him for the rest.

PS....

I just hope that all of those misguided fans that paid for concert tickets will now get their money back.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2400
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 27 Jun 2009, 11:51 am

There is no doubt that whatever people's individual opinions of him he was a genius as far as music and entertainment was concerned. His passing will leave a great big hole in the pop world.

He definitely was a troubled person but what can you expect when an ordinary person is raised to the level of Godhood by his fans and he has unlimited amounts of money to indulge his smallest whim with.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12079
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Sun 28 Jun 2009, 12:54 pm

A strangely similar set of circumstances happend with Elvis too !

He too became obsessed with his own personality and he too indulged in his ultimate whims simply ebcause he had the money to do it. He also died of an overdose of prescription drugs.

Maybe when an artist is built up to feel that he or she is on a pedestal they are destined to eventually go downhill.

Papa......

Post by Guest on Mon 29 Jun 2009, 5:49 am

Red, i cant belive you wrote that! Lol

( Edit.....)
    He didn't ! LOL !

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 20 Jul 2017, 11:44 pm