Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Are the media unconsciously racist ?

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12578
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Are the media unconsciously racist ?

Post by papa_umau on Sun 21 Jun 2009, 12:36 pm

As our Andy Murray, ( a good Scots lad ), is now number three in the world and starts at Wimbledon as the third seed I wonder how the media will treat him ?

In the past if a Scottish athlete has entered the world stage and not been very good they are always referred to as "SCOTTISH" rather than British and yet if a guy like Sir Chris Hoy or our Andy are world-beaters they are constantly referred to as "BRITISH" rather than Scottish.

I am wondering if I am seeing things here or has anybody else noticed this strange phenomenon ?

Last edited by papa_umau on Mon 22 Jun 2009, 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total

Papa......

Re: Are the media unconsciously racist ?

Post by Guest on Sun 21 Jun 2009, 9:24 pm

It’s was the same for the Olympics and is the same for the politicians . Tony Blair was British while Gordon Brown is the “dour Scotsman” or as Jeremy Clarkson said "one-eyed Scottish idiot".

Insults carry Scottish while praise carry’s British it shows the medias racist thoughts quite clearly in my opinion.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12578
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Mon 22 Jun 2009, 10:52 am

So, it's not just me that is seeing this then ? That is good to know !

While I have always thought of myself as firstly Scottish, secondly British and thirdly European I find it hard to accept that the media play this mixup game with nationalities. Are they doing it - I wonder - just to wind up the nationals or are they doing it to try to ensure that "Britain" always gets good press while it is the other nations that take the insults when they get things wrong.

If this IS the case, what do they do if English athletes are useless on the world stage ? ( Henman is one that comes to mind here ).

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 24 Nov 2017, 4:00 am