Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Sunbeds, spray-tan or pale and interesting ?

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2545
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Sunbeds, spray-tan or pale and interesting ?

Post by Angie baby on Sat 20 Jun 2009, 2:27 pm

Hi lovely peeps !

I am one of the lucky ones that takes a natural tan very easily but even I have to prepare for my summer holiday in the sun by having a few sessions in the tanning booths.

I was a bit shocked to read today that sunbeds are killing 200 British users a year and that they are costing the NHS 200million a year in treatments to burns and to skin-conditions.

The laws were recently changed in Scotland to ban the use of un-supervised boothes and the increasing use by children has been clamped down on. Now the English government are to make the same moves very soon.

So, what do you thing should be done here; should tanning parlours be banned altogether so that we don't get skin cancer from them and should we instead go for fake-tan sprays.

Please help me to make my mind up as I will be going on holiday soon and I really don't know what to do. Embarassed
    TuppenceHapenny
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-08-26

Re: Sunbeds, spray-tan or pale and interesting ?

Post by TuppenceHapenny on Sat 20 Jun 2009, 3:20 pm

well, hmmm. Seems as if you have 3 options here. Fishbelly white, Carrot orange or chemo. Frankly, sounds like a no-brainer.
    Tuppence
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12578
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Sun 21 Jun 2009, 11:52 am

Rather extreme choices I think Tuppence. I think there are others that are not so extreme.

Angie......

If you are not at serious risk of skin damage and you take a tan easily - as you say you do - I guess that so long as you do it carefully and bit-by-bit I see no reason why you cannot build up a very nice shade via the sun or the sun-beds. It is people that are fair-skinned that are at the greatest risk from the sun or the tanning booths, especially if they try to do it too fast.

Some of the latest fake-tans are not actually "orange" in a finish even if some are. I guess that AGAIN, if you are discerning you should not have any problems with a good quality fake-tan either.

Papa......

Frenzied Feline
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Number of posts : 277
    Registration date : 2008-08-31

Post by Frenzied Feline on Mon 22 Jun 2009, 8:26 pm

Angie baby wrote:Hi lovely peeps !

I am one of the lucky ones that takes a natural tan very easily but even I have to prepare for my summer holiday in the sun by having a few sessions in the tanning booths.

I was a bit shocked to read today that sunbeds are killing 200 British users a year and that they are costing the NHS 200million a year in treatments to burns and to skin-conditions.

The laws were recently changed in Scotland to ban the use of un-supervised boothes and the increasing use by children has been clamped down on. Now the English government are to make the same moves very soon.

So, what do you thing should be done here; should tanning parlours be banned altogether so that we don't get skin cancer from them and should we instead go for fake-tan sprays.

Please help me to make my mind up as I will be going on holiday soon and I really don't know what to do. Embarassed

Angie

Do not take this the wrong way. OH HELL!

Your tan? You've already damaged your skin. For some .. you go brown. Others turn "lobster". I am naturally strawberry blonde . so I turn "lobster" as does my light auburn haired sister and my older blonde sister and my two girl cousins who are naturally honey blonde and dark auburn haired. We all have the pale complexions which are associated with these hair colourings.

But .. tanning means skin damage.

If you want a tan - use a GOOD QUALITY dermatalogically approved skin colouring product for the most sensitive of skins. Or apply a good quality foundation make-up which gives a suggestion of natural colour. Use blushers/lippy/eye make up .. good quality and use sparingly to create a "natural but truly gorgeusly eye catching look"

You can look beautiful and colourful without damaging your one true gift from nature - your skin/complexion .. and if you take care of this - you keep your youthful looks.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12578
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Tue 23 Jun 2009, 11:26 am

I wouldn't DARE argue with a health professional when she gives that kind of advice as when it comes down to it she is right of course.

Having said that, ( typical of me, I know ), I wonder why different people in different parts of the world have differing skin-tones ?

As I see it it is up to the genetic makeup and the amount of melanin that is used by their bodies on these people that gives them darker skin colours and it must be more than co-incidental that the darker they are in skin tone the greater the chance of them originating from areas that have a lot of sun.

If - take for a easy example - the Mediterannean people, who have more or less permanent tans, I suspect that they are like that as their bodies have developed the darker skin tones to protect them from the sun.

All that considered is it not the fact that some of the Western white people do take a tan easily because their bodies are also making the melanin that protects them from the sun ?

Of course there are people - like F.F. just mentioned - in her family, ( my son-in-law and my three grandchildren are like that BTW, while my daughter is not ), that are not natural tanners and their skin does not readily produce an easy tan and these people should always cover up with sun-blocker or clothing when exposed to the sun.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2545
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 27 Jun 2009, 11:59 am

Ok the doctors always bang on about keeping out of the sun and I can see their reasoning here but I do not see what a good tan does in harm to a person that tans easily. After all it is said that many people in areas like Britain actually suffer vitamin D deficiency exactly because they do not get exposed to enough sunlight.

I will defer to Frenzied feline about the tanning beds and I will keep clear of them. ( It is great that there has actually been a fair amount of sun over Britain this summer anyway ).

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 21 Nov 2017, 12:06 pm