Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

The end is nigh

TuppenceHapenny
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-08-26

The end is nigh

Post by TuppenceHapenny on Wed 10 Jun 2009, 8:57 pm

Forget global warming/latest p/c term for it. If you want something real to worry about go here- http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090610/sc_afp/scienceastronomyearthmercurymarsvenus
    We're all gonna die!
    Tuppence
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12574
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: The end is nigh

Post by papa_umau on Thu 11 Jun 2009, 11:25 am

Yeah, in three to five BILLION years !

Something tells me that the human race will have wiped itself out in only a few HUNDRED years if they do not do something about taking care of this planet a bit better than they do at the moment.

Anyway, the mathematical chances of a stray large meteor being knocked out of orbit from the asteroid belt - between Mars and Jupiter - hitting us and causing an "end of civilisation" event is much more liable in the next few thousand years for us to worry about a such a planetary collision.

Papa......

Frenzied Feline
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Number of posts : 277
    Registration date : 2008-08-31

Post by Frenzied Feline on Sun 14 Jun 2009, 8:51 am

papa_umau wrote:Yeah, in three to five BILLION years !

Something tells me that the human race will have wiped itself out in only a few HUNDRED years if they do not do something about taking care of this planet a bit better than they do at the moment.

Anyway, the mathematical chances of a stray large meteor being knocked out of orbit from the asteroid belt - between Mars and Jupiter - hitting us and causing an "end of civilisation" event is much more liable in the next few thousand years for us to worry about a such a planetary collision.

I am reminded of a song from High Society as sung by Bing n ol' Blue Eyes

affraid

High Society "Swell Party song wrote:

Don't you know? It's in the stars?

Next July we collide with Mars?

Well did you ever? confused affraid

What a swell party this is!
    bounce

Don't worry - we're doomed then! So let's enjoy life anyway!
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 14 Jun 2009, 12:32 pm

Most amusing F.F. but the first premise that I presented about us wiping ourselves out in a few hundred years is something that is fixable if enough people want it fixed.

Unlike the collison with a space body in a few thousand or a few billion years the death of the earth is not inevitable due to our misuse of it's resources.

Nature has provided us with a never-ending supply of energy via the wind and the waves and the tides and the sun and yet we STILL choose to dig up and suck up fossil-fuels and burn them in ways that are poisoning the air and the water and the land that we must have in order to survive.

Seems like an eminently STUPID way to behave !

Papa......

Frenzied Feline
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Number of posts : 277
    Registration date : 2008-08-31

Post by Frenzied Feline on Sun 14 Jun 2009, 6:44 pm

papa_umau wrote:Most amusing F.F. but the first premise that I presented about us wiping ourselves out in a few hundred years is something that is fixable if enough people want it fixed.

I tend to look very much on the sunny side of life.

But that said - I do not go along with the "Happy Ever After" endings of "Deep Impact/Armageddon" whereby technology "saves Mother Earth from an asteroid ELE wipe-out"

Papaumau wrote:
    Unlike the collison with a space body in a few thousand or a few billion years the death of the earth is not inevitable due to our misuse of it's resources.

Nature has provided us with a never-ending supply of energy via the wind and the waves and the tides and the sun and yet we STILL choose to dig up and suck up fossil-fuels and burn them in ways that are poisoning the air and the water and the land that we must have in order to survive.

Wind farms/turbines are a bit hit /miss as solar energy.

OK .. Switzerland and Austria use the sheer force of water - hydro-elecricity - but both countries rely on other sources .. including imported resources into their repsective "grid reserves"

Papaumau wrote:
    Seems like an eminently STUPID way to behave !

But we have developped air purifiers. Pity we are not using them more. Perhaps the expense? I honestly don't know why we are not making use of technology which can help short term whilst we research how to invent technology which really .. REALLY utilises "Mother Nature and Father God" properly.

But humankind has always polluted in each generarion - because we are not perfect and whilst we develop technology .. all this is flawed because we are flawed as a species. We make the best sense we can out of the world we reside in. We trust our progeny will be better custodians of our planet . but that's all we can do in reality. I am an optimist.. but also an existentialist!

Which makes me a bit odd as existentialists are pessimists Laughing

Last edited by Frenzied Feline on Sun 14 Jun 2009, 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : quote went wrong)
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 15 Jun 2009, 12:48 pm

There is no doubt that the human race at this stage of it's evolution are a very flawed bunch of creatures and with these flaws in mind I suppose that it will be very difficult to make the greedy and selfish and care-nought ones ever be something a bit higher in the evolutionary chain.

Maybe a few hundred or a few thousand years down the track we will evolve to the higher level of Homo-Superior and all of the greed and selfishness and care-nothing attitude will be bred out of us. Until then the people like me are just going to have to keep screwing the destroyers and the wasters so that their consciences do prick them now and again.

It is true that at the moment the world governments are just not trying hard enough to bring the renewables online as the renewables do not make enough money for the powerful oil, gas, coal and nuclear lobbies.

This is not to say that they will not work in the future as by the time that the fossil-fuels start to run out for real we are going to have to be ready to change over to the renewables.

You mentioned hydro-power and no country is more involved in this source of power than Scotland is. It is old hat as far as we are concerned.

What needs to be developed is wave and tidal power as as long as we have the moon effecting the seas and the tides we will have billions of megawatts of power going unused.

Then there is the power of the sun......Here we have the ultimate power-house that is allowed to fall on two thirds of the planet and go to waste. This power - harnessed correctly - would make the pitiful fossil-fuelled power-stations look amateurish in comparison.

I have my own dream of the hydrogen revolution where the hydrogen and oxygen locked up in water could be easily separated using hydrolysis and photoelectic cells, ( again using the power of the sun ), so that this - most abundant element in the universe - might be used to power fuel-cells and to make electricity for each one of us at home to power our homes and our cars at little cost and with no pollution whatsoever.

Then we have the hidden power of the molten core of the planet where geothermal drill-bores could release heat to generate unlimited power via the use of ground source heat pumps.

There are many Scandinavian countries that already use geothermal energy to heat homes and schools and factories and I see no reason why we should not do the same.

Why do we not use any of the above ideas I ask ?

I answer by saying that the people that have the power and the money and the resources at the moment DO NOT have the will or the vision to decide to move over to these renewables as they don't have to YET.

They will have to eventually, but I fear that by that time it will be too late to save our planet from the damage that is already being done in the name of Mammon !

Yes F.F. this IS the most important need and wish and vision of mine and I just hope that I live long enough to see it brought into normal life on this beleaguered planet.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 21 Nov 2017, 12:32 am