Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Baby food with more fat than a burger !

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12578
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Baby food with more fat than a burger !

Post by papa_umau on Mon 04 May 2009, 12:42 pm

Following on with Angie's post about children's cereals and their sugar content here is ANOTHER rip-off of the children of Britain.

The baby food that contains more fat than a quarter pounder

By Lachlan Mackinnon

The Scottish Daily Record Online

KIDS are being given baby foods containing more fat and sugar than cheeseburgers and chocolate biscuits, a study has revealed.

Farley's Original Rusks have more sugar than McVities Dark Chocolate Digestives, while Heinz Toddler's Own Mini Cheese Biscuits contain more saturated fat than a McDonald's Quarter Pounder with Cheese.

Meanwhile, Cow & Gate Baby Balance Bear Biscuits contained trans fats and were not labelled in the way required, according to the research by the Children's Food Campaign.

The survey of more than 100 baby foods exposed the poor nutritional quality of many of them.

Just half were low in saturated fat, salt and sugar - and for those manufactured by Heinz this figure was just one in four.

One in nine Cow & Gate products was high in sugars, more than 15 per cent.

Children's Food Campaign joint co-ordinator Christine Haigh said: "We found more than a quarter of a Farley's Rusk is pure sugar. That is ridiculous. It would be almost safer to wean your baby on chocolate biscuits.

"It is alarming mothers cannot even rely on baby food to be healthy when the country is already facing an obesity crisis.

"There is evidence that babies develop tastes for certain foods that last with them for the rest of their lives, so if they are getting plenty of sugar and fat at an early age they will eat a lot as teenagers and adults."

Haigh pointed out that in 2000, the Food Commission exposed the high levels of sugar in baby biscuits and urged manufacturers to reduce the amount.

She said: "Nearly a decade on, the new survey demonstrates that some companies have taken virtually no action to improve the healthiness of products marketed for babies and young children."

Campaigners are now urging the Government to force the firms to make foods healthier and introduce clear labelling.

But Heinz, who make Farleys, insisted the findings were "misleading" and said they also produced reduced-sugar rusks.

Cow & Gate said they had taken the baby biscuits out of production after advice from the Food Standards Agency.

Papa......

riders_on_the_storm
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 463
    Registration date : 2008-08-25

Re: Baby food with more fat than a burger !

Post by riders_on_the_storm on Mon 04 May 2009, 8:42 pm

This is how the whole sugar dependancy starts and when it starts it usually sticks for life. I have a very sweet tooth and strain to keep away from all the little treats in life but it has to be said sugar is one thing our bodies simply do not need. I am 100% sure this dependancy started when I was young through eating all the little snacks at play time. In saying that though I did always get home cooked meals and junk food wasn't as prevelant as it is nowadays.

Natural sugar from fruit is fine but processed most definitely is not needed.

A lot of the breakfast cereals now are absolutely swarming in sugar. I remember a few years back I bought a pack of coco pops and after eating a bowl of pops I almost felt dizzy and my teeth were aching. So what is this doing to children if it can do this to a fully grown man (big kid!)

Porridge is the best cereal to start with.

Andrew
    TuppenceHapenny
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-08-26

Post by TuppenceHapenny on Mon 04 May 2009, 8:45 pm

Boys, never look up the fat/sugar content of breast milk. You'll get the shock of your little lives. bounce
    Tuppence
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 05 May 2009, 12:05 pm

riders_on_the_storm wrote:This is how the whole sugar dependancy starts and when it starts it usually sticks for life. I have a very sweet tooth and strain to keep away from all the little treats in life but it has to be said sugar is one thing our bodies simply do not need. I am 100% sure this dependancy started when I was young through eating all the little snacks at play time. In saying that though I did always get home cooked meals and junk food wasn't as prevelant as it is nowadays.

Natural sugar from fruit is fine but processed most definitely is not needed.

A lot of the breakfast cereals now are absolutely swarming in sugar. I remember a few years back I bought a pack of coco pops and after eating a bowl of pops I almost felt dizzy and my teeth were aching. So what is this doing to children if it can do this to a fully grown man (big kid!)

Porridge is the best cereal to start with.

Andrew

Not just a stereotypical Scot but I have my porridge every morning. Wouldn't be without it ! I take it WITHOUT salt OR sugar and I like it fine that way.

I do agree that our bodies do not need processed sugar, ( sugar from cane or beet ), but they certainly do need "natural" sugars in the form of sucrose and fructose and lactose so that our bodies can make heat and energy via the use of insulin. If we are not making insulin or our bodies resist the reduced amount that is made then refined sugar is deadly to us, ( Me in particular ).

There is no doubt Andrew that we are "trained", ( some would say indoctrinated ), into the need for sweetness in our diet and the manufacurers of refined sugars are the ones responsible for this addiction.

TuppenceHapenny wrote:Boys, never look up the fat/sugar content of breast milk. You'll get the shock of your little lives. bounce
    Tuppence

Of course you are right too, but this is a natural process that delivers what the baby needs during those very important first few weeks and months. Breast milk can not be compared with food that deliberately delivers trans-fats and refined sugars to children that not only don't need these materials but they in fact are worse off because of them.

Papa......

Historian
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Number of posts : 268
    Registration date : 2009-04-19

Post by Historian on Tue 05 May 2009, 9:47 pm

The old conspiracy theory keeps on running eh?

I come from a large family and whilst you start off trying the low sugar low fat organic crap you end up with what is convenient anything for an easy life. Kids are no worse off as a consequence. Tups is right - you are better to stop worrying about what the food police think and start living.

Red
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Wed 06 May 2009, 10:31 am

Yeah, just stick your head back into that sand !

I know that we are inundated with the "this is bad for you and that is bad for you" assault every day....BUT....the fact is that some of them ARE bad for you and "just living" and ignoring the fact is a very blinkered way to live your life don't you think ?

That philosophy reminds me of the guy that is sitting at a road junction in his car - waiting to turn into the traffic - and doesn't look right because - he believes - if he cannot see the car that is coming it won't actually be there.

Do you get that analogy ?

Papa......

Historian
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Number of posts : 268
    Registration date : 2009-04-19

Post by Historian on Fri 08 May 2009, 7:04 am

So he sits there indefinitely not knowing what to do by the sound of it.

Red

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 24 Nov 2017, 2:06 am