Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Hire Car Add-Ons

riders_on_the_storm
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 463
    Registration date : 2008-08-25

Hire Car Add-Ons

Post by riders_on_the_storm on Tue 21 Apr 2009, 7:50 pm

hi all

Someone I know recently hired a car and were guilt-riddent into buying 10 per day insurance cover in case the car was returned with any bumps or scratches. Now I cannot understand why the price you pay does not include essentials such as insurance? I mean surely the car should be under an insurance policy already and covered by that so why the "additional" optional costs.

Ok you don't need to pay it but you get my point about the sort of rip-off element of it, and of course how easy would it be for the hirer to miss a scratch out when hiring it only to blame you for it when you bring it back? Would be an easy scam to play on the less streetwise.

A keen eye was cast over the car pre-hire but many people may not be as sharp-eyed as yours truly.

These add-ons are a pain because the company will state the price of hire or purchase of an item at "only xx" but when you add it all up it comes to somewhat more.

All we want is one price, which is the FINAL price to pay.

Andrew
    Doctormalc

Number of posts : 77
    Registration date : 2008-08-22

Car Hire Rip off

Post by Doctormalc on Wed 22 Apr 2009, 9:11 am

Hi Andrew,

You are quite right about this, and its often the big boys (AVIS etc) who pile on the guilt and the most extras. One example is airlines. Ryanair have a link to car hire as do most airlines, and of course it is to one of the big dealers, so a cheap flight can mean 'extras' on the car hire, ie insurance, child seat, even the pressure to rent sat nav's.

This is a major scam in the USA (CDW etc), so you need to watch it. I don't take out that scratch cover, as I insist that the attendant walks around the car with me and checks what is there, and then I get them to sign the same and their name ( I did that last time I hired from Dublin airport and I am sure they thought I was making a fuss !!)...You need to be very savvy to catch them out at their own game, and if possible go for the smallest car you can, it will be cheaper.

Dr Malc
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12344
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: Hire Car Add-Ons

Post by papa_umau on Wed 22 Apr 2009, 10:31 am

Yes, you are both right about these expensive "add-ons" as they prey on our insecurities when they pressurise us into taking bells and whistles that we don't actually need.

All that said, here is an example of it going the other way:

You may remember that I bumped my new Citroen C4 Picasso a few weeks back but you might not know that even although I did not actually have to make a claim as the accident was not my fault, I was quizzed by the punter that delivered my "FREE" hire-car if I wanted to take the 4.00 a day waver of payment of excess for the automatic and also free insurance that covered the hire if I marked the car during the hire period.

As you might expect I refused this extra charge only to scuff the offside mag-alloy wheel as I parked at one of those high and square granite kerbs. Easily done.

As I didn't want to lose the excess that was built into the free insurance after they discovered the mark on the wheel I owned up to it when they came to pick it up.

The guy that was completing the contract on his palm-pilot offered me two choices.....Either to pay the excess at 300.00 or to pay for the repair to the wheel at 70.00 up front.

I chose the latter, but still felt rather badly done by !

Papa......

riders_on_the_storm
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 463
    Registration date : 2008-08-25

Post by riders_on_the_storm on Wed 22 Apr 2009, 6:11 pm

"As you might expect I refused this extra charge only to scuff the offside mag-alloy wheel "

Talk about tempting fate paps eh?

Thing is though what is your legal right in this situation should you have went back (but you never damaged it) and they did then notice?

They do sign off the car has been checked so that makes you liable I suppose.

Andrew
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12344
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Thu 23 Apr 2009, 12:07 pm

Yes, I DID tempt providence by refusing that 4.00 a day waver charge.

As I had the hire car for three full weeks while my car was being repaired I would have had to pay 84.00 at 4.00 a day anyway. So in fact I saved 14.00 by NOT accepting the waver charge.

If I had not reported the "scuff" on the mag-wheel they would probably have noticed it when they got the car back and automatically charged me for the insurance excess. At 300.00 I didn't want that to happen.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 25 Sep 2017, 1:32 am