Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Bernie Madoff's London "piggy-bank".

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2400
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Bernie Madoff's London "piggy-bank".

Post by Angie baby on Sat 28 Mar 2009, 2:24 pm

We all know that Bernie Madoff conned some of the best and brightest people in the banking industry right across the world while he committed the biggest fraud that has every been committed in finance history but I want to know why he was allowed to use his Mayfair bank as a personal clearing house and a piggy bank for his dirty money.

Were the FSA either complicit in this fraud or were they simply incompetent ?

See this one: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article5989473.ece

Re: Bernie Madoff's London "piggy-bank".

Post by Guest on Sat 28 Mar 2009, 3:29 pm

Far be it for me to defend one of the main causes for the banking crisis, but this really isn't their remit. Would you be happy if every time you wrote a cheque someone from the FSA rang you up to ask where you got it from? That is the job of accountants and auditors.
    Sorry - don't shoot the messenger!

MotCo
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12079
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Sun 29 Mar 2009, 1:49 pm

Bloody typical of you !

Are you now trying to support what Madoff did as he conned millions of people out of BILLIONS of pounds and dollars ?

I TOTALLY agree with Angie that the finance watchdogs SHOULD have spotted what Madoff was up to and stopped it long before he was able to rip off so many people.

All that this scenario says to me is that if enough high-flyers are willing to look the other way thieves like Madoff will always have a free hand in order to be able to do what they do best: steal from some of the greedy fools that thought he could make them even richer than they already were. The rest were victims !

Papa......

Post by Guest on Sun 29 Mar 2009, 1:56 pm

NO I AM NOT. The guy is/was a crook and he is doing time for it already.

What is the matter with you? Would you rather blame the innocent than punish the guilty?

The finance watchdogs do not look at individual bank accounts. That is the job of accountants and auditors who clearly should be hauled up there with the bankers.

Lets punish the guilty not make scapegoats for them!

MotCo
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 29 Mar 2009, 2:10 pm

Who mentioned individual bank accounts ? You did, not me !

Now why don't you at least try to be consistent in the very short time you have left here !

Papa......

Post by Guest on Sun 29 Mar 2009, 2:37 pm

The link did?

MotCo
    zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2520
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Mon 30 Mar 2009, 10:19 am

I do see what you are getting at Paps even if Motco doesn't as that London bank was big enough for the FSA to keep an eye on if they had wanted to.

This guy survived for so long either because the top people could not see what he was doing or they were getting big payouts from his crooked ponzi scheme.

If the FSA had been doing their job I would have thought that alarm bells would have rang out loudly long before this.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 31 Mar 2009, 12:11 pm

Zathrus......"alarm bells" WERE ringing loudly for quite some time before the whole thing went "tit's-up", the trouble was that the people at the top - who were making the big killings from the commission and the payouts - did not want it to stop even though they knew it was about to collapse around their heads.

There is good evidence that whistleblowers and security advisors had been trying to warn the industry for some years before the big collapse and all that happened to them was that they were either silenced or they were sacked.

The so-called self-regulation that was supposed to safeguard such large mistakes were either ignored or they were not even used. The FSA were in no state to impose regulations as the regulations that COULD have been imposed had been so watered down as to be virtually useless.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 22 Jul 2017, 1:36 am