Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Young workers know they're being ripped off.

papa_umau
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 14174
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Young workers know they're being ripped off.

Post by papa_umau on Tue 16 Oct 2018, 11:19 am

Young workers know they're being ripped off - and that unions are the answer. By Len McCluskey.

Last weeks global food strikes show young workers get what trade unionism is about - and bringing are new forms of digital organisation into play.

When I tweeted my congratulations to the fast food workers who took strike action last week, as part of their fight for fair pay and tips, I said they had shown the naysayers that unions are absolutely relevant in today's world of work, not least in the toughest of sectors.

I had some interesting, and telling, responses to that. “How was the fast food industry tough?” “How many workers in the sector are union members? Mystery?” and “Minimum qualification requirements mean minimum wage”.

My point, perhaps difficult to explain fully in a tweet, was that hospitality is a notoriously difficult area for trade unions to recruit and organise in.

As is the precarious, agency, zero-hour and gig economy generally. So to the tweeter who asked, with that note of sarcasm, how many fast food workers are union members, it’s no real mystery.

It’s difficult to build a collective mentality amongst any low-paid, transient workforce, especially when the anti-union laws in this country restrict us enormously in our efforts.

And when their bosses tell them, illegally, either that they have no right to join a trade union, or they will be sacked if they do.

Read more on this fascinating story from Open Democracy UK HERE

For some untold reason some employers see the unions as Communists and rabble rousers, but as we get more and more educated to the truth we find out that the unions are probably the only weapon that many workers have to ensure they get their rights.

Any comments on this folks ?

Papa......

zathrus
    zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 3115
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: Young workers know they're being ripped off.

Post by zathrus on Thu 18 Oct 2018, 11:24 am

While even the most docile unions do not support Communism, it is very true that many governments of the past have thought that they were connect to far left ideologies.

Now that we have a far left potential Prime Minister - if the Labour get in - with Jeremy Corbyn, we are going to find out exactly what it will be like to have a leftish government once again.

Of course all Labour parties of the past, even Tony Blair's "New Labour" have embraced the support of the unions, but it will take a truly left wing government to give the unions the support that they need to look after downtrodden workers.
    papa_umau
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 19 Oct 2018, 11:12 am

Sadly, I don't think the country are yet willing to elect a far left party to government.

Jeremy Corbyn is going to have to make the party much more electable to the middle ground - as Blair did - if he will be able to find election success.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 3023
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 20 Oct 2018, 11:25 am

I, and I think many more people couldn't stand Tony Blair when he dragged Labour hard across to the right.

He will be remembered well by that traitorous act.

If that is how the left wing should go to attract new voters, then I want to have no part in it.
    papa_umau
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 21 Oct 2018, 11:45 am

No, whether it works or not I am sure that the next Labour Government will be a truly left wing one.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 20 Mar 2019, 9:25 am