Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

U2 and their recording company ripped off by file sharers.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12578
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

U2 and their recording company ripped off by file sharers.

Post by papa_umau on Fri 20 Feb 2009, 12:10 pm

While I seldom take the part of the corporate biggies I feel that I have to speak out against the latest rip-off of the music industry.

A web-based company called Pirate Bay - from Sweden - are facilitating a file-sharing system whereby all of the latest album-tracks by U2 are being downloaded by these thieves for free.

"No Line on the Horizon" - the band's 12th album - is not due to be launched until March 2nd but sales for it will now have been badly damaged by this file-sharing site and their rip-off customers.

The owners of this company are now facing court in Sweden for breach of copyright offences.

Last edited by papa_umau on Sun 22 Feb 2009, 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

Papa......

Re: U2 and their recording company ripped off by file sharers.

Post by Guest on Fri 20 Feb 2009, 8:13 pm

So its OK for the second rate Irish wankers to live the millionaire lifestyle that bankers can only dream of whilst schoolkids have to eke out their pocket money to be ripped off by the record companies so they can keep up with the Joneses.

How come they never reveal how much money actually goes to the artists? Because this is about loss of profit, not royalties.

We know you stopped caring about the little man the day you bought your Citroen. Stop trying to pretend you still care and admit you yearn to be a fat cat. Hell you even have the second (and more) homes!

MotCo
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 21 Feb 2009, 12:02 pm

You REALLY ARE a nasty little man aren't you ?

The kids can download this album from official sites - after it is released - for a VERY reasonable charge so they do not need to go to illegal file-sharing or to P2P sites to obtain it.

If you were in any way consistent about your stance on this forum you would be supporting my call that such illegal rip-offs of the artists - whether you like them or not - and their record company should stop and they should get a fair deal here.

Music artists are already struggling because they have lost almost all of their sales from the high-street in CD form and they now depend on download sales to keep selling their music and defending their intellectual rights as they do it.

It seems that - ONCE AGAIN - you are throwing your principles out of the window just to criticise anything I write here. I don't mind criticism,( in fact I enjoy it ), but to get knocked every time I write something here - by you, just for the hell of it - it starting to get picky and very badly thought out.

If you are going to criticise what I write here at least try to have some consistency in your arguments.

NOW...are you defending the crooks that rip off the artists and the record companies for any real reason or do you just want to say something - ANYTHING - that disagrees with me ?

If you ARE doing the latter then you are getting very bitter, twisted and petty in your old age !

Last edited by papa_umau on Sun 22 Feb 2009, 12:59 pm; edited 2 times in total

Papa......

Post by Guest on Sat 21 Feb 2009, 12:53 pm

I have used file share networks in the past thou today its no point itunes does legal downloads for 50p a track if every thing was free no one would make a profit so there wouldnt be any one making the music in the first place.

Prices for CDs are still very high in stores and the price does needs to drop.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 21 Feb 2009, 1:21 pm

I will admit that I too dabbled with P2P downloads strictly out of curiosity and as a protest at the rip-off prices in the likes of Zavvie and HMV and others, but I stopped doing it when it became much less expensive to do the downloads from official sites.

Now the rip-off mentality of the high-steet retailers has come back to bite them on the bum as the music-lovers vote with their feet and their fingertips. Zavvie has already went down the drain and more of them are going to follow soon I think.

You raise a very salient point Merlinz....If people are not prepared to pay a reasonable price for their music then the creators will stop creating and we will ALL finish worse off.

Whether our Motco will be able to see that or not is another story ! Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by papa_umau on Sun 22 Feb 2009, 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Papa......

Post by Guest on Sat 21 Feb 2009, 3:28 pm

I have always maintained that file sharing is GOOD for the consumer and BAD for the greedy record companies, their over-rated artistes and all the profiteers inbetween. They will have to get used to the fact and earn their money in different ways - such as live performances.

You can stick up for the big corporates if you like.

MotCo
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 22 Feb 2009, 1:07 pm

File sharing is ILLEGAL and it is a criminal rip-off of the artists that create and make the music.

I am VERY surprised that a business-man like you would condone such criminal activities !

I bet that if it was YOUR intellectual rights or YOUR music-publishing business that was being ripped off you would start to shout about it too instead of condoning it when it happens to others.

Selfish and care-nought about the plight of others AS USUAL.

TYPICAL !

Papa......

Post by Guest on Fri 27 Feb 2009, 7:49 pm

As you are well aware, money talks, and the laws were introduced not for the common good, but to protect the interests of the big recording studios. They were certainly not arrived at through any democratic process and so whilst they may be 'LEGAL' they are not MORAL.

Like I said - you look after the fat cats, I will support wherever I can to lighten the burden of the working man.

MotCo
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 28 Feb 2009, 1:18 pm

Eyes and ears shut again I see !

"INTELLECTUAL RIGHTS" are rights that were formulated to ensure that the creators and producers of new music would get what they worked for using their talents. Anyone who side-slips such rights deserves to get done.

Simple as that and none of your waffle is going to get round, over, or under that one !

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2545
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 28 Feb 2009, 1:46 pm

I have some serious mixed feelings over this one !

I have always thought that music bought by the CD in the high-street was far too expensive and in order to protest over these rip-off charges I used to download from any one of three P2P sites. Now all of them have either been closed down or they have gone legit and I don't mind downloading tracks at a reasonable cost.

I feel fine when I know it is the music moguls that I am ripping off this way but I feel bad when I think of all of those song-writers and artists that have to make a living out of their talent.

Those that still do it illegally are rip-off merchants themselves.

Post by Guest on Sat 28 Feb 2009, 2:10 pm

Well I am sure Bono and all his pretentious mates will rest assured in their multi million mansions that their interests are being looked after by people like you Paps.

Well done!

MotCo
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 01 Mar 2009, 11:22 am

Showing your hateful and NOT-SHARED opinion of U2 has nothing whatsoever to do with the support for intellectual rights.

Maybe the only way that you would understand about this is if you could put yourself in their place....then it might start to matter.

Papa......

Post by Guest on Mon 02 Mar 2009, 4:58 pm

The problem doesnt just affect music thats just the most publicised case software, movies and even books can be downloaded illegally now so its a wide ranging problem that damages investment.

Post by Guest on Mon 02 Mar 2009, 5:26 pm

That's right - it means you have to fork out to keep Bill Gates in caviar.

Terrible - I don't know how he manages.

MotCo
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 03 Mar 2009, 11:13 am

I find it quite amazing that you can turn your coat to suit your whims when you are looking for a fight !

Normally you would be bending over backwards to support all that the rip-off marketeers do in the corporate sector but here you are inconsistently taking the side of the crooks that do the ripping off for a change. You really want to make up your mind who you are and what you stand for.

As Merlinz so rightly says....Every bit of original music and literature and screenplay and creativity that is for sale is being attacked by these intellectual-rights thieves and that is bad for the whole business. Crookery is crookery wherever you find it and it seems that you are just as big a crook as the ones that do it if you dare to support them in their criminal behaviour.

Papa......

Post by Guest on Wed 04 Mar 2009, 7:22 am

No coat turning by me here. Practically my first post on ROB 1 was promoting file sharing. You are the one who has turned coat here - from defender of the consumer to protector of the very system that rips off the consumer.

Merlin must be suffering from sheep dip poisoning or something. Musicians and playwrights have practised their arts years before copyright was even thought of. Artists should make their money from live performances just like any other job - technology has advanced so that everyone can enjoy recordings practically free of distribution costs yet prices remain ridiculously high because of dinosaur thinking like yours.

MotCo

Post by Guest on Wed 04 Mar 2009, 8:46 am

Musicians and playwrights have practised their arts years before copyright was even thought of.

Yes but the internet was not around then either Laughing

Post by Guest on Wed 04 Mar 2009, 8:51 am

Er...I just said that!

MotCo

Post by Guest on Wed 04 Mar 2009, 9:48 am

The only way any one could listen to music would have been to listen to live performances and many were excluded from that privilege. The internet wasnt around then many more people listen to music now than ever before.

"High prices" 50p you might want to check the price of legal downloads.

So what you are saying all music should no longer be made available through any other means and we should all go to live performances ?

Nothings free and its not just distribution costs its costs millions just to set a band up these days.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Wed 04 Mar 2009, 10:31 am

It's quite simple to me Merlinz... Motco wants to support - for some reason only known to him - the crooked file-sharing sites that rip-off the creations that these artists make.

He and anybody that supports this practice is and are crooks.

I wonder how he would feel if it was HIS intellectual rights that were being stolen. I am sure that he would quickly turn his coat again in THIS case.

Papa......

Post by Guest on Wed 04 Mar 2009, 10:50 am

His sorry Motco I though you was a old women especially with the Thatcher avatar though I suppose she was more a man any way.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Wed 04 Mar 2009, 11:06 am

HA HA...Nice one Merlinz ! Laughing

That avatar is there for one reason only...To piss me off !

It doesn't and that winds up our Motco.

He knows - as I have done it before - that if that Avatar bothered me or was unsuitable for the forum that I could rip it out with two clicks of my mouse.

What is curious is that he won't even admit to being a Tory supporter.

He likes to turn his coat too often for that.

Papa......

Post by Guest on Wed 04 Mar 2009, 5:33 pm

Sorry guys but you will never be able to justify copyright to me as anything other than legalised theft. It is wrong, it has always been wrong, it always will be wrong. If I have a 'brilliant idea', I share it for the common good. If people want to pay me that is fine but I do not make it conditional on their using my idea. That way society benefits not just MotCo.

If you like Paps you can have my avatar for yourself - Mrs Thatcher once said 'There is no such thing as society' you know. Seems you believe in greed and profiteering far more than you openly admit!

MotCo

Post by Guest on Thu 05 Mar 2009, 6:17 am

share it for the common good

MotCo you won me over with that post, I would love to live in a society with those values I understand its not possible so all I have said still stands but I would very much like to live in a society that you speak of in your post.

Post by Guest on Thu 05 Mar 2009, 10:52 am

We use a lot of open source software - may not be perfect but a lot of people writing/using it think like that. Have you tried it?

MotCo

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 24 Nov 2017, 2:11 am