Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Government steps in over 'rip-off' funeral plans that 'mislead' grieving families.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 14022
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Government steps in over 'rip-off' funeral plans that 'mislead' grieving families.

Post by papa_umau on Tue 05 Jun 2018, 11:26 am

The Government is cracking down on misleading pre-paid funeral plans that leave vulnerable consumers out of pocket.

Earlier today, the Treasury announced it will consult on tougher regulation of the 2bn funeral market, alongside the Competition Markets Authority, the competition watchdog.

The CMA said it will scrutinize the confusing list of services and prices provided by funeral directors, as well as how prices have changed over time.

In 2017, the average cost of a funeral was close to 4,000. When extra costs such as coffins, urns and embalming are factored in, that figure is now closer to 6,000.

Read on from The Daily Telegraph HERE

This is one rip-off that is hard to avoid as these costs are now getting unmanageable for any person but the most well off.

With all of the advertising of "up-front" payment of funerals many people are now following this advice just to get the cost off their mind.

Much better to just wait until nearer the time and then compare costs.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 3066
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: Government steps in over 'rip-off' funeral plans that 'mislead' grieving families.

Post by zathrus on Thu 07 Jun 2018, 4:04 pm

That's a good entry Paps.

I will be wary of this in the future now.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Re: Government steps in over 'rip-off' funeral plans that 'mislead' grieving families.

Post by papa_umau on Fri 08 Jun 2018, 12:36 pm

Me too.

I have been made aware that there are some very reasonably priced funerals if all you want is a cremation without a funeral service.

These are set at around two thousand pounds.

As an atheist I think that will suit me down to the ground. ( Sorry about the bad pun ).

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2973
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 09 Jun 2018, 11:47 am

We were just talking about that subject in the staff room a few days ago and the consensus was that full funeral is a terrible cost, especially for people with very little income who are going to have to bear that cost.

It is awful that more people get buried in paupers graves these days than ever in the days of yore.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 10 Jun 2018, 11:46 am

I am not sure if even paupers graves are available these days as on the news it said that a man has been lying in a council mortuary for more than two years.

I don't even know what would constitute a paupers grave these days.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 20 Jan 2019, 6:59 pm