Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

MPs announce hand car-wash "slavery" probe.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 13470
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

MPs announce hand car-wash "slavery" probe.

Post by papa_umau on Tue 24 Apr 2018, 11:15 am

The Environment Audit Committee will examine the impact of cleaning agents on water sources, plants and wildlife and how water use can be minimised.

It will look at employment conditions, amid claims of trafficking of workers.

Mary Creagh, who chairs the committee, said though "cheap and convenient", the prices may be "too good to be true".

The Labour MP told the BBC much of their workforce was from Eastern Europe and there were concerns some of them were "bonded labour" - people who had been tricked into travelling abroad by the promise of a job and were now working in low-paid roles with little control over their working hours to pay off debts.

Read more on this probe HERE

This is strange as during the very cold spell in Scotland I was using a local hand-wash service to clean the car instead of doing it myself, and I too wondered how well, or not, these obvious ex-Eastern Bloc workers were getting paid.

Now it is interesting to find that a lot of these workers are trafficked and even indentured to the trafficking gangs with less than the minimum wage.

Maybe the new political probe will do something practical about this.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2905
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: MPs announce hand car-wash "slavery" probe.

Post by zathrus on Thu 26 Apr 2018, 11:49 am

I think that today's employers don't really care where they get their low-level workers from as long as they don't complain about the poor wages they are paid.

The gangmasters who facilitate this trade are still getting away with it to a great degree.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 27 Apr 2018, 11:27 am

AND... the government do not like to interfere with companies that use these modern-day slaves, as if they did, this could be seen as an attack on their friends.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2801
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 28 Apr 2018, 11:57 am

People-trafficking for any reason is just wrong and if the employers of these trafficked persons checked to see if they were in the country legally there would be no work for them and the trafficking would stop.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 29 Apr 2018, 12:30 pm

I think it would take more than that to try to stop people-trafficking.

As long as the trade that is done with the use of people smuggled into Britain by Traffickers the harder it is going to be to catch these people as long as they keep what they do with them in dark and hidden places.

I am actually meaning sex-trafficking with young girls and boys as well as the ordinary slavery that they all suffer under.

It is a dirty business, but it is kept well out of sight until someone whistle-blows on them.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 Aug 2018, 5:15 pm