Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

The Universal Credit nightmare.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 13662
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

The Universal Credit nightmare.

Post by papa_umau on Tue 03 Oct 2017, 12:14 pm

It’s time the Tories woke up to the universal credit nightmare

Despite growing evidence to the contrary, the work and pensions secretary has declared the benefits system fit for action.

It is full speed ahead on universal credit.

Now many more face debts, eviction and hunger.

“It’s working,” David Gauke, the work and pensions secretary, declared to the Conservative party conference on Monday, in doing so disregarding a huge weight of evidence to the contrary, and confounding the massed ranks of critics in and outside of the party who are calling for an urgent pause and reset of this chronically troubled benefit system.

It is hard to tell whether this was just upbeat nonsense for party activists, or whether universal credit is now just too big to fail.

For some Tories it is an article of faith that this expensive, wildly ambitious reform cannot possibly go wrong.

Get the full report on this from the Guardian HERE

I have to admit that the idea looked like a good one because it drew all of the disparate benefits together under one banner, but I forgot that it was The Tories that were bringing it in.

Now we see poor folk having their different benefits taken away at a stroke and having to wait for up to six weeks for getting any payments under the new scheme.

This simply drives these people into the hands of the high-rate money-lenders and down the street to the food banks. 

I think we would have to try very hard to find any government action that was more Dickensian in it's delivery than this one is.

This one benefit is creating a greater level of poverty amongst the weak than has ever gone before.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2969
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: The Universal Credit nightmare.

Post by zathrus on Thu 05 Oct 2017, 11:28 am

The universal credits plan has now been shown to be a total mess with hundreds of people losing their single benefit and not getting their universal credit plan for many weeks.

What do these poor folk have to do to not get into debt in those waiting weeks.

I agree that this is a good idea gone very bad because the welfare services cannot operate it successfully.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 06 Oct 2017, 11:39 am

As the universal credit is a flagship policy of the Tories I cannot see them scrapping it without at least trying to fix it first.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2855
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 07 Oct 2017, 11:33 am

To me, it would be easy to "fix" as all they would need to do would be to ensure that all the documentation was completed for the Universal Credit payments BEFORE they take away the other payments.

I have no clue why they cannot do that.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 08 Oct 2017, 11:50 am

I must agree about that Angie.

Of course those six weeks that the people on benefits get no benefits and until the universal credit is active means that the government save all of the money that would have been paid in those six weeks.

They don't care that the people who are without this money for those six weeks have to go to food-banks to be able to eat and that they will run up debts in that time that will be hard to clear once the money eventually comes in again.

In that period the pay-day lenders will make a lot of money with their often two-thousand percent charges.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 19 Oct 2018, 7:19 pm