Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Tesla's solar and battery project in Hawaii:

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12657
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Tue 03 Oct 2017, 11:29 am

Tesla’s summer announcement of the world’s biggest battery-storage system in South Australia characteristically kept key details confidential.

Fortunately, while mystery and mystique still shroud that project, more can be unearthed or inferred for Tesla's solar panel and battery energy-storage deployment in Kauai, Hawaii, which came online earlier this year.

In fact, there's now enough information that—to paraphrase Elon Musk—we can do the math. Inspiring math it is, too.

While the big story is that Tesla’s solution is cheaper than diesel, the bigger story is that it’s cheaper despite only using two-thirds of the solar panels’ actual production and two-thirds of the batteries’ actual capacity.

Get the full story from Green Car Reports HERE

Tesla Kauai solar-energy generation and storage project [photo: Tesla]

I have seen a few big solar panels from around the world, but this one seems to be the biggest so far.

Maybe we could take a leaf out of Tesla's book and emulate them here.

The "storage" bit - in the white boxes at the front - is being done by using new and second hand lithium-ion batteries for and from electric vehicles. They can be stacked to hold many thousands of Megawatts of instant power.

The future is here already I think.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2685
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: Tesla's solar and battery project in Hawaii:

Post by zathrus on Thu 05 Oct 2017, 11:55 am

The lithium-ion battery packs that you talk about in that picture seems very higgelty piggelty. Why they didn't build them in uniform rows I don't know.

One might have thought that they would be made up into large equal banks if they are so important.

I don't think we get enough all day sunshine to make such banks of photo-electric cells and lithium-ion batteries a possibility in Britain.

What I would like to see is every new house and factory built with sloping and flat roofs being installed with photo-electric cells as they are being built.

Some homes in other countries use such large solar electric cell-banks to charge their electric vehicles with.

That sounds like a great idea for the future.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 06 Oct 2017, 11:53 am

Yes, that point struck me too when I saw that picture. I am sure they have their reasons for displaying the battery packs like that.

Many enlightened countries like Sweden and Norway and Holland already build new homes with photo-electric arrays set into the roofs.

I am sure we will follow their example in the future. It would seem foolish not to.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2573
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 07 Oct 2017, 11:57 am

I have never seen so many solar panels all gathered together at one time.

Mind you I don't know how they found so much space to put solar cells in Hawaii.

Australia, yes, as they have millions of square miles of open spaces in their deserts that would get maximum sunshine all day long.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 08 Oct 2017, 12:09 pm

Yes, you are right Angie.

In Australia they should never want for power with the large areas covered by photo-electric panels and the sun shining almost every day of every hour in the hot areas of the country.

Oh, and Zathrus, the rows of stacked Lithium-ion batteries built by Tesla for an Hawaii island are actually in very uniform rows. 

The picture I showed was at a poor angle to show that they were in straight rows.

Here is a better picture:

If every country were to do that we would soon not need dirty power stations anymore.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 18 Dec 2017, 10:47 am