Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

UK car sales fall for fifth month in a row.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12351
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

UK car sales fall for fifth month in a row.

Post by papa_umau on Tue 05 Sep 2017, 12:02 pm

Sales of new cars in the UK fell for the fifth month in row during August, with demand for diesel cars plunging more than twenty percent.

There were 76,433 new car registration last month, the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) said.

The figure was down 6.4% from August last year, while diesel sales - which have been hit by worries over air quality - fell by 21.3%.

Several carmakers have launched trade-in and scrappage deals for UK buyers.

Volkswagen, Toyota, Ford, Vauxhall and Renault are among a number of major carmakers that have launched schemes recently, which could boost sales during September.

Read more on this phenomenon from The BBCHERE

With this news it seems to be confirmed that many of the British car-buying public are fast going off the internal-combustion-engined cars - especially the diesels - that pollute our air.

Now, all we need is a better campaign from the government with much better incentives for the buying of electric and hybrid cars in the future.

I believe that this is just the start of the death of fossil-fuel burning cars.

Now we want to see more done to introduce vans, heavy goods vehicles, buses and trains that are run on alternative fuels, especially electricity.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2585
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: UK car sales fall for fifth month in a row.

Post by zathrus on Thu 07 Sep 2017, 11:20 am

You sound very happy that diesel and petrol cars and vans, like mine, are going to be phased out in favour of electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles.

Is that because you have already gone electric yourself ?
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 08 Sep 2017, 10:30 am

That might be true as once you have owned an electric car it is difficult to move back to fossil fuel-burning cars.

I already have noticed that in-town chargers are getting used quite heavily already.

It is the future, of that there is no doubt.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2473
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 09 Sep 2017, 11:59 am

I was looking at reasonably-priced second hand and delivery mileage Renault Zoes a couple of days ago.

Here's one I was looking at from Arnold Clark:

https://www.arnoldclark.com/used-cars/search?make=Renault&model=Zoe&payment_type=monthly&sort_order=monthly_payment_up&page=1&mileage=100&age=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImpaYufiX1gIVzp3tCh2RUABpEAAYAiAAEgKmTfD_BwE

I could just about manage 177 a month and a deposit of 177 too.

What do you suggest Papa ?
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 10 Sep 2017, 11:51 am

When I was looking at electric cars, and before I finally decided on a Nissan leaf, I considered the Volkswagen iUP the little Renault Zoe and the electric Kia Soul.

I found the IUP and the Zoe, ( a supermini ), too small and the Kia Soul too expensive.

Something else you might consider is the fact that, as you say you live in a flat, it will be very difficult and expensive to install a dedicated home charger outside your flat.

It all depends on whether you are on a bottom floor flat, and how close you you're car will be parked to the building. ( A charging cable cannot be installed to cross a public path ).

These chargers can be installed on an outside wall or on a pole as they are completely waterproof, but if they are not in a secure place there is also the risk that they might be vandalised.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 25 Sep 2017, 4:03 pm