Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

An independent broadband speed-checker.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 13869
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

An independent broadband speed-checker.

Post by papa_umau on Tue 13 Jun 2017, 12:10 pm

The broadband speed rip-off:

For a long time now the broadband suppliers have been hitting us with the "up to" argument about the actual speeds they deliver to us in our broadband packages, but we can never really depend on what they say as the actual speed provided can be well below the speeds that they advertise.

HERE is a new speed-checker from Which? that will tell you the truth about how fast your present internet-access speed is.

Once you know what the speed actually is, you can then present it to your present broadband access company and ask for better speeds, or threaten to leave.

Often they will then actually speed up your package because all fibre packages come at two speeds that are designed for the homeowner and business-users.

It is comparatively easy for any broadband supplier to up-rate your speed to the business level WITHOUT charging you any more for it.

A lot of people are just not aware that this option is available in fibre-broadband.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 3029
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: An independent broadband speed-checker.

Post by zathrus on Thu 15 Jun 2017, 11:26 am

That's a cracker Paps, as all of the previous speed-checkers are tied to individual broadband companies.

I am getting about a 20mbs downlink in that check, and as long as it stays that good I will be happy to stay with my present provider.

Thanks once again for all of your work you do to help us get fair treatment.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 16 Jun 2017, 11:15 am

My pleasure Mate.

I have been wondering about the commercial speed-checkers for a while as they all, up until now, are closely associated with the broadband companies that provide them.

This one from Which? is not completely clear of advertising but it is much better and simpler to use than the others.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2926
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 17 Jun 2017, 12:01 pm

I tried that speed test and it came up as a lowly 6 mbps.

Maybe it is time I changed my broadband provider ?
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 18 Jun 2017, 12:28 pm

Yes Angie, that should be considered.

Before you do change your broadband provider check that there is a fibre cabinet close to your home.

If there has not been a fibre cable run to that cabinet from the telephone exchange it is very unlikely that any of the broadband providers will be able to give you "fibre" speeds.

Also remember the tip: that if they can connect you to optical fibre at a new cabinet then make sure that they don't fob you off with a slower speed than is possible. Ask for the fastest fibre speed and even if you have to pay a little more for it you will be able to get well into double figures.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 19 Dec 2018, 2:17 am