Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

TV chefs' food too expensive for families.

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2545
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

TV chefs' food too expensive for families.

Post by Angie baby on Sat 31 Jan 2009, 1:43 pm

I like watching cookery programmes as I already have a keen interest in cooking but I agree with what Asda'a chief executive, Andy Bond says about the recipes we get from the likes of Jamie Oliver and others.

He says that the recipes that are shown on TV from certain celebrity chefs are far too expensive for the average family in these days of cash shortages. He claims that they have lost touch with the reality of how much families can now afford to pay for food.

I agree, don't you ?
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12578
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: TV chefs' food too expensive for families.

Post by papa_umau on Sun 01 Feb 2009, 1:41 pm

I suppose you are right Angie but Surely the punters can choose what they spend their money on; they don't HAVE TO follow the instructions of these chefs.

Personally I love cooking and I have looked after myself this way all around the world. This does not mean that I have to follow the recipies of these TV chefs verbatim does it ?

Cooking - to me - is all about trial and error and while I DO pick the brains of the TV chefs I usually finish up putting my own ingredients in. Being a Scot I like to ensure that my food is good VFM as well as healthy.

Papa......

Markfox01

Number of posts : 120
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by Markfox01 on Wed 04 Feb 2009, 7:54 pm

I can make the same food on the TV chefs on a good budget. Asda is blanetly worrying about people going fresh, and stop buying the high margin frozen food.

Well made healthy food, is making some supermarkets run scared, there isnt much profit in healthy fesh food...

Post by Guest on Thu 05 Feb 2009, 7:25 am

Not trying to pick a fight Mark, but last time I looked fresh food was far more expensive than frozen which suggests the opposite is true. Something about less waste?

MotCo
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Thu 05 Feb 2009, 12:49 pm

No Motco, you are wrong and Mark is right !

If you compare the cost of pre-prepared convenience foods BY AMOUNT with fresh foods like fairly good cuts of meat, vegetables and fruits you will find that the seemingly expensive fresh foods will go much further than a couple of spoons-full of prepared, cooked and packaged foods do.

On top of that you often don't have a clue what is actually in these convenience foods. They are usually made with the cheapest of cuts of meat and nobody knows what the standard of the vegeatables or fruits in them is like. On top of that they are full of additives like e-numbers and preservatives so that they are often not very good for you either.

Papa......

Post by Guest on Thu 05 Feb 2009, 2:14 pm

I'm not talking convenience foods, I'm talking staples. Frozen veg IS cheaper than fresh. FACT. Go look in the freezer cabinet. I never buy it (apart from peas and sweetcorn) but it strikes me as a rip off that fresh costs more. Maybe a regular (dare I say lady?) shopper with some actual experience would care to back me up?

As to convenience foods these are a rip-off whether frozen or chilled and like you say you never know what is in them. Frozen pizzas are cheaper though.

MotCo
    TuppenceHapenny
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-08-26

fresh vs frozen

Post by TuppenceHapenny on Thu 05 Feb 2009, 2:56 pm

Razz
    dunno bout that side of the pond and dunno if I qualify as a "lady" in Motty's book but here's my tuppence worth. Frozen, here at least, for basic veg, is WAY cheaper than fresh. Not the fancy crap in "sauce" nor preprepared meals but just basic veg. A pound of green beans will run me around a dollar, fresh will cost upwards of 5 dollars per pound. That's a pretty good picture of any and all frozen vs fresh veg at the grocers here. You can figure that frozen will run anywhere from 1/4 to 1/5ths the price of fresh.
    As a side note-I've not had ANY fresh veg in ages, oher than spinach for a salad, just too expensive.
    Tuppence
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Thu 05 Feb 2009, 2:57 pm

I guess it is based on what you consider as "convenience foods" !

ANYTHING that has a sell-by or use-by date on it is PACKAGED and is supposed to be sold-by or used-by THAT date. If it is not sold by that date then it has to be taken off the shelves. The reason for this is because if the food is not bought-by or used-by that date then it can NOT be considered to be fresh or safe to eat. This is a feature that is built in to protect the consumer from unscrupulous traders.

When frozen food is being assessed for safety it is checked in two different ways: 1). By looking at the "best before" YEAR label and then 2), by ensuring that the frezer that you store it in is rated via the star-rating system. This food is cheaper because it does not need to be presented as "fresh". Again we have to take on trust that the food that is frozen was frozen while fresh.

We can not tell by view or by taste or by smell if frozen food is safe to eat so that is why we depend on the regulations being observed here.

Papa......

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Thu 05 Feb 2009, 3:13 pm

TuppenceHapenny wrote:Razz
    dunno bout that side of the pond and dunno if I qualify as a "lady" in Motty's book but here's my tuppence worth. Frozen, here at least, for basic veg, is WAY cheaper than fresh. Not the fancy crap in "sauce" nor preprepared meals but just basic veg. A pound of green beans will run me around a dollar, fresh will cost upwards of 5 dollars per pound. That's a pretty good picture of any and all frozen vs fresh veg at the grocers here. You can figure that frozen will run anywhere from 1/4 to 1/5ths the price of fresh.
    As a side note-I've not had ANY fresh veg in ages, oher than spinach for a salad, just too expensive.
    Tuppence

That's sad Tuppence as we in Britain have numerous sources of fresh food including farmers-markets - which are catching on fast here. Buying fresh fruit and vegetables in a supermarket here is always a bit of a hit or miss as sometimes the time it takes to get it from farm to table means that it is not "fresh" at all. If you are willing to buy the raw materials here and to PREPARE and COOK THEM at home then I think you will find that such "fresh" vegetables and fruits will go much further by the pound/cost ratio than the same foods prepared for you. This is why - at least here in Britain - fresh food is much better VFM than pre-prepared food is. It is even better if you can grow these vegetables yourself in a garden or greenouse as then you KNOW they are fresh and they are MUCH cheaper this way than pre-packaged and pre-prepared foods.

It was once said that Britain was "a nation of gardeners" and even in these modern and pre-packaged times this still holds true to some extent.

Since I moved from the North to the Midlands of Scotland I have REALLY missed my 1/3rd of an acre garden and my big greenhouse. Sad

Papa......

Markfox01

Number of posts : 120
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by Markfox01 on Thu 05 Feb 2009, 7:01 pm

I must admit i am talking about convienice foods, but frozen veg is another thing. But as Paps says the frozen convinice foods are full of cheap fatty meat cuts, e number and christ knows what else... For a health percepctive alone, cook your own food from scratch is better for you.. you can add as much salt as you want, or sugar... and i guarentee your free range chicken has zero e numbers in it.

Cooking the foods the TV chefs way, is better for you by far, and will improve your life. get fresh.. cook from scratch.. and watch your health get better!
    TuppenceHapenny
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-08-26

Post by TuppenceHapenny on Thu 05 Feb 2009, 8:24 pm

The only convienience there is to frozen veg is that I don't have to pay thru the nose for it. I don't buy frozen meals... ewwwwwwww!!!!!
    Tuppence

Post by Guest on Fri 06 Feb 2009, 7:51 am

I think you got my point Mark - and you nicely bring the thread round full circle - by cooking like the TV chefs you may have a healthy diet but and empty wallet!

Time the supermarkets rip-offs on fresh food were sorted out. My pet hate is 'Swede' which is the lowest of the low food for cattle - left in the ground and ploughed as required for sheep to eat over winter. The price? More than carrots and potatoes.

And Rhubarb - stuff grows like a weed in sandy soils, delicious & healthy, yet priced up with tropical fruits flown halfway round the world.

MotCo

PS Tuppence - You are a lady in my books m'dear
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 06 Feb 2009, 12:15 pm

"Turning full circle" and so forth.....

We get back to the topic by saying that the foods that the chefs choose to cook are often foods that are too expensive even as fresh materials.

They are inclined to use stuff that is not amongst the usual materials that the average home cook uses like....asparagus, turbot, extra-virgin olive oil, jerusalem artichoke, fresh ginger, saffron...I could go on and on.

It is fine for them to make such "up-market" foods but it is not so easy for the average person to be able to afford such ingredients.

Papa......

Post by Guest on Fri 06 Feb 2009, 3:27 pm

Eh by gum

Extra virgin olive oil. I remember when 't only place you could buy it were 't chemists

What a nation of losers we are

MotCo

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 24 Nov 2017, 4:03 am