Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Are diesel cars now dying off ?

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12447
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Are diesel cars now dying off ?

Post by papa_umau on Mon 12 Jun 2017, 11:50 am

UK new car sales fall by 8.5% in May with diesel down 20%

New, higher VED rates as well as the uncertainty associated with the upcoming General Election are said to have hurt registrations.

New car sales continue their fall this year, with registrations down 8.5 per cent in the month of May, according to the latest figures from the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders.

Last month, the industry body blamed the 20 per cent drop in registrations in April on the new, higher Vehicle Excise Duty rates introduced in the beginning of the month.

It now says the drop in May's registrations is still a result of the market feeling the effects of the higher VED, as well as the uncertainty associated with the run-up to the June 8th General Election.

Get the full story from Auto Express HERE

I suppose I shouldn't say "I told you so", but I did.

The new VED costs for diesel cars, even with greatly reduced emissions, has not stopped the Tories from making diesel vehicles almost unsalable.

It is a shame that companies that use diesel lorries and buses do not have an alternative to go for and that means that most of the dirty exhausts from these kinds of diesel vehicles are just going to carry on polluting our air.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2610
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: Are diesel cars now dying off ?

Post by zathrus on Thu 15 Jun 2017, 11:35 am

Not one bit surprised about these diesel vehicles not getting sold now.

The main problem here is that we only have two choices of car and vans and that is either electric or back to petrol.

The electric Nissan van, ( e-NV200 ), would be my obvious choice but it is still too expensive for me.

I also have the Citroen Berlingo electric as another choice but it is just too expensive as well.

If the government want us to drop diesels and go to either hybrids or electric, they are going to have to give us more incentive to do it.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12447
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Fri 16 Jun 2017, 11:29 am

Yes, these points are being showed up brightly in America where some states are at war with the electric cars and vans while some other states offer massive incentives to buy electric or hybrid.

The government-incentives we find in Britain are just not big enough or well enough advertised for us to want to make the leap into electric and hybrid vehicles.

For example: living in Scotland, I found out, with a bit of searching that I did not need to pay anything towards the installation of a dedicated charger at my house. These things are normally about £1400 to get installed without financial help, but with the help I got from the government, from Nissan, and from the Scottish Energy-saving Trust, the installation of my dedicated 32 amp charger cost me nothing.

I did get £4,500 of an incentive to buy the car, after it had been reduced from £5000 six months earlier.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 19 Oct 2017, 10:09 am