Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Age UK are at it again.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 13278
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Age UK are at it again.

Post by papa_umau on Mon 05 Jun 2017, 11:45 am

Britain’s biggest OAP charity Age UK are at it again… now it’s an insurance rip-off.

The most vulnerable people in our society are at risk of being swindled by the charity meant to protect them.

Just over a year ago you will remember The Sun revealed energy firm E.ON paid them £6million in return for pushing expensive tariffs.

Financier Andrew Brettell was looking round for cover for his house in Clapham, South West London, and Tesco came up with a very fair £166.40. As he was 52 (you have to be 50-plus to use their site) he went on Age UK and they came back with . . . wait for it . . . £1,154.74, a staggering seven times the Tesco price.
    And their explanation was simply bulls**t.

To discover why their price was 600 per cent higher, Mr Brettell contacted Doug Strachan, managing director of the charity’s commercial arm.

He explained the increase by saying:

You have a high-value property — that wasn’t a problem for Tesco. Clearly cobblers.

You have lots of flat roofs — that wasn’t a problem for Tesco. Complete cobblers.

Clapham is a high-risk crime area — so is the whole of London. That wasn’t a problem for Tesco. Even more cobblers.

And finally, your YOUNG age — 52? What on earth has that got to do with his home insurance and why didn’t it affect Tesco? Absolute cobblers.

The charity is simply making this stuff up on the hoof. How much of the excessive profit of almost £1,000 over the Tesco price is split between them and their insurance provider Ageas ?

Get the full story from The Sun HERE

It is getting very obvious now that Age UK is nothing more than a profiteering rip off  to the people they purport to serve.

As I see it, us oldies should give it a very wide berth.

Oh, and BTW, I would not jump to the conclusion that Tesco has the best insurance deals as all insurances should be compared before they are accepted.

Last edited by papa_umau on Sun 11 Jun 2017, 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2851
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: Age UK are at it again.

Post by zathrus on Thu 08 Jun 2017, 12:26 pm

Not needing anything like that yet, but over the past few years I have heard nothing good about this company.

I will tell my old dad to steer clear of them.
    Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1435
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Thu 08 Jun 2017, 1:49 pm

I investigated a mobility scooter though Age UK. The price was vastly inflated over other suppliers. I didn't buy one in the end.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 10 Jun 2017, 12:34 pm

Quite right HG, and I wish more people would shop around like you, so that the likes of Age UK cannot con as many people as they do.

I think that as they spend more time trying to make money than working as a charity they should have their charitable-status withdrawn from them.

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1435
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Sat 10 Jun 2017, 2:29 pm

I agree. I detest these 'Big Business' Charities. RNLI, RSPCA, NSPCC etc., all employ paid 'chuggers' to get people to commit to a Direct debit of a certain amount. You cannot even set your own limit! Then they bombard you with junk mail in order to get you to increase the direct debit. I know of several elderly people paying vast sums to charities this way. I am incensed that they hold people to ransom like this, and feel it should be investigated, and preferably stopped entirely.
    Current tactics are immoral to my mind.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 11 Jun 2017, 12:08 pm

Totally agree with that HG.

What is worse is that these people who are paid to try to wheedle money out of us in public places are simply adding to the massive administration fees that have to be paid before any of the money goes to the particular charity.

An easy fix would be that a maximum amount could be spent on administration fees and a minimum amount should be ring-fenced for the charities. If not, then their charitable status should be automatically withdrawn.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 18 Jun 2018, 11:35 pm