Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Contactless bank card payments: Are you worried ?

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12201
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Contactless bank card payments: Are you worried ?

Post by papa_umau on Tue 30 May 2017, 11:22 am

Where are contactless payments used the most and are they secure?

How many times have you made a contactless payment today? Contactless cards a quick and simple way to pay for items of 30 and under have radically changed the way we spend money, with a quarter of all card transactions now made via contactless.

According to the UK Cards Association (UKCA), overall contactless payments came to a total of 25 billion of spending in 2016, up from 7.75 billion in 2015. There are now 104.4m contactless cards in the UK, a 25% increase year on year.

So lets delve deeper into the pros and cons of contactless payments, how they work and where they are used the most.

About contactless cards:

The cards have several layers of security to protect against fraudulent use. You cant accidentally pay twice, and your card needs to be right by the reader.

However, thieves have been known to use simple machines to read your card while youre in a queue or even walking, by standing right beside you. There have also been cases of lost or stolen cards being used and not discovered for some time.

To help protect against this, from time to time youll be asked to enter your PIN to verify your identity, and card readers cannot access the security code, the bank details, or any of the other material essential to make online purchases.

Get the full report from The Telegraph HERE

I have already indicated how these short-range radio signals from contactless cards can be accessed by a card-reader held in a crook's hand, but I have already also stated how you can protect yourselves from any such scanner.

If you buy a cheap woven stainless-steel wallet, ( they are easy to find ), or you get hold of a few metallic card holders the weak radio signal from your contactless cards does not leave your purse or wallet.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2545
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: Contactless bank card payments: Are you worried ?

Post by zathrus on Thu 01 Jun 2017, 11:28 am

Yes, that would make the contactless cards even more secure.

Here is one page of Google to find where to get these card sleeves: https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=contactless+card+sleeves&spf=1496311064020

Here's a cheap, stainless-steel wallet for just a fiver. http://www.ebay.com/bhp/fold-stainless-steel-wallet

I use one of these wallets as I think the individual rfid-blocking sleeves are just too fiddly.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 02 Jun 2017, 11:41 am

Thanks for the links Zathrus, but I have to say that the link to the woven steel wallet means that there are none left to sell.

Scrolling down the other link for the RFID-protection sleeves seem much better deals.

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1247
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Thu 08 Jun 2017, 2:15 pm

I just refuse point blank to have one. They are of no benefit to me, as I don't pay small amount on a card.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 10 Jun 2017, 1:14 pm

Not trying to change you mind HG, but once you see how easy it is to pay for items of less value than thirty pounds, and you find out how secure it is, ( so long as it is not scanned by a crook passing by ), you will get to like it just as I have done.

If you want one or more of these very cheap covers just enter "anti-RFID metallic sheaths" into Google.

Or you can send THIS link to Amazon and you will get five of these sheaths for 4.47 including free delivery.

Oh and BTW.... even if your contactless card is scanned by a crook, that scan can only be used once for an amount less than 30.00, as every time it us used it sends a different handshake code to the till-receiver.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 23 Aug 2017, 11:04 am