Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

UK firm designs 'world's most affordable solar lamp'.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12657
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

UK firm designs 'world's most affordable solar lamp'.

Post by papa_umau on Mon 22 May 2017, 12:09 pm

A UK design consultancy has teamed up with a giant Chinese manufacturer to produce what they say is the world's most affordable solar lamp.

Manchester-based firm Inventid designed the SM100 solar light, which retails for $5 (3.85) in African countries.

It was developed in collaboration with China's Yingli and charity Solar Aid.

The hand-sized lamp runs for eight hours when fully charged. As well as a stand, it has strap slots so it can be used as a head torch or tied to a bike.

Kerosene burning lamps remain the sole source of lighting for some 600 million people living without electricity in Africa and in other third world countries, but they are expensive to run and there is the constant danger of potential fires.

Read the rest of the story from the BBC HERE

Here is what it looks like in the hand of a little African Girl

I don't know about Africa and the many other places that have to use Kerosene lamps to provide light, but I do know that this light will sell in many other developed countries too.

What do you good folks think of this latest invention ?

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2685
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: UK firm designs 'world's most affordable solar lamp'.

Post by zathrus on Thu 25 May 2017, 11:10 am

This is a wonderful invention as it will do good for the people who have no electrical power in the world.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 26 May 2017, 11:21 am

I would in fact like to see the great charities across the world GIVING these lamps to the third world countries for free, as even at that low cost many poverty-stricken people will still not be able to afford such luxuries.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2573
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 27 May 2017, 11:48 am

I agree that because of the cheap production costs of this wonderful solar-rechargeable light they should be given freely to the people who need them the most.

I will buy one when they come into the shops or online.

I did a search online for it and found it at this address for 10.00 with a percentage of that cost going to the Solar-aid charity to help to provide them to "off grid" Africa.

Here is the address: https://www.solar-aid-eco-shop.co.uk/collections/products/products/sm100
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 28 May 2017, 12:09 pm

Thanks for the link Angie.

I sent my order for one of these solar-lamps yesterday.

When I get it I will give it a review.

For anyone that also wants one of these at Ten pounds each, the place to get it again is from the SolarAid store HERE

Papa......

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Update.

Post by papa_umau on Fri 02 Jun 2017, 12:00 pm

Here is an update to my order for one of those great wee battery-free lamps:

I received a nice e-mail from the supplier that explains about the little lamp and what it does for African charity work.

Here is the e-mail to read:

Dear Paul R

All of the items from order #2766 have now been shipped:

1x SM100

We've just sent your light so it should be arriving on your doorstep within the next few days.

This light is the exact same light that we distribute across Africa. Please show it to all your friends and tell them about the work we do. Its so important for us to get our story out there through our supporter network. We really need your help to eradicate the kerosene lamp from Africa!

Wed also love it if you sent us a picture of your light in use whilst youre camping, cycling, travelling, or reading, please catch that moment. We have a lot of fun seeing the fantastic places that people take these lovely little lights.

Thank you for ordering from the SolarAid Store!

There you at then; not only a great battery-free lamp, but one that is helping to pay for free supplies of them to third world countries that have no electrical power.

A great new charity !

Papa......

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Review !

Post by papa_umau on Sun 04 Jun 2017, 11:28 am

I took delivery of my smart little rechargeable lamp on Friday afternoon and have spent some time testing it.

It was fully charged when it arrives and it lasted for around six hours yesterday before it began to dim.

I found the light that comes from one lighting element, ( I think it is a low-voltage halogen bulb ), was extremely bright and could easily light-up a darkened room well enough to read by.

When the solar-voltaic charging panel is anywhere near a light source during charging a little green light comes on and goes off when it is fully charged.

This has to be one of the cleverest little sources of bright light - without heat - that has been invented in these days of solar energy.

Well worth a tenner.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 18 Dec 2017, 5:10 am