Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Hybrid and electric car sales on the rise.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12456
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Hybrid and electric car sales on the rise.

Post by papa_umau on Tue 18 Apr 2017, 11:53 am

Hybrid car and electric car sales are on the rise

Hybrid and electric cars, otherwise known as alternative fuel cars, are becoming more popular. Sales rose by 31% in March ahead of the car tax changes, while diesel car sales only saw an uptick of 1.6%.

March was a bumper month for car sales, with 562,337 new cars registered. The increase in sales of electric, hybrid and plug-in hybrid cars means alternative fuel vehicles now have a market share of 4.3%.

Tax incentives and promises of better fuel economy had previously pushed buyers towards low CO2 diesels. But it seems the tide is turning against diesel cars.

London Mayor Sadiq Kahn has announced that drivers of diesel cars that do not meet emissions standards will face a 12.50 charge to drive into London, on top of the 11.50 congestion charge.

Get the full report from Which? HERE

At one time, including myself, people used to go for what was then known as "low-emission" cars but now that all cars - except zero-emission cars, ( purely electric ones ), are VED-taxed at a minimum of 140 PA, "low emission" cars, especially diesels, are not now so acceptable

This is driving, ( excuse the pun ), many new-car purchasers away from diesel cars and towards either hybrids or electric cars.

I took the electric car route and I have never regretted it.

It is still a shame that there are not more or better government incentives paid towards the purchase of electric cars.

This could change.

Last edited by papa_umau on Wed 19 Apr 2017, 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total

Papa......

Gandhi
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Number of posts : 251
    Registration date : 2015-05-09

Re: Hybrid and electric car sales on the rise.

Post by Gandhi on Tue 18 Apr 2017, 6:26 pm

A friend of mine has a BMW i3 which would make your eyes water Paps - he charges the batteries from his solar panels, there is no servicing, leasing at less than 300/month.........

Personally I think the residuals will kill it - speaking to those in the trade, nobody will touch them second hand as there is so much to go wrong, spares are expensive and difficult etc etc AND the CO2 pollution from generating mains electricity is worse than diesel.

I look forward to your hydrogen powered cars Paps - then every time someone has an accident the daesh will claim responsibility for the resultant explosion Smile

G
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Wed 19 Apr 2017, 10:55 am

Yes, the BMW i3 is one of the best electric cars on the road, but few people can afford the price-tag that comes with it.

It is a great idea to run the charging of the car from solar panels, but the current that is required to charge an electric car is much more than that which can be produced from domestic solar panels.

For instance, my Leaf requires a dedicated 32 amp circuit to charge it with, under five hours, and the smart metering that I have just had installed tells me that the draw of power from the charger puts the indoor meter right into the red while it is being used.

I agree that even the power that comes from the mains is almost certainly generated by gas-power-stations, ( except in Scotland of course ), and that is why electric power fed into the national grid is STILL not clean enough.

Papa......

Gandhi
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Number of posts : 251
    Registration date : 2015-05-09

Post by Gandhi on Thu 20 Apr 2017, 1:15 pm

Thats why you lease not buy.

How much depreciation did you suffer on your prius?

G
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 21 Apr 2017, 12:32 pm

If one is not leasing, ( proper ), as a businessperson one is usually offered what is called PCP conditions. ( Personal Contract Purchase ).

I find this way of buying/renting a new car the best way to do it as after the "rental" period one can either give the car back or pay a final payment to keep the car.

May last three cars were bought new this way.

Many would be surprised that there is still enough equity in the car, when handed back, before the balloon payment is due, to pay the deposit on the next car. This does not need to be done with the same outlet as I bought my Prius under PCP with Arnold Clark and I used the equity left on it to pay the deposit on my shiny new Nissan Leaf, from a Nissan outlet.

All of this is not relevant to the fact that electric cars ARE selling like hotcakes for those who can afford them.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 20 Oct 2017, 6:50 pm