Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Are diesels killing our children, and us ?

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12447
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Are diesels killing our children, and us ?

Post by papa_umau on Wed 05 Apr 2017, 11:01 am

Thousands of British children exposed to illegal levels of air pollution.

Exclusive: More than 2,000 schools and nurseries close to roads have damaging levels of diesel fumes; joint investigation by Guardian and Greenpeace reveals.

Hundreds of thousands of children are being exposed to illegal levels of damaging air pollution from diesel vehicles at schools and nurseries across England and Wales, a joint investigation by the Guardian and  Greenpeace’s investigations unit has revealed.

The analysis of the most recent government data exposes how dangerous levels of nitrogen dioxide (NO2) pollution from diesel traffic are not limited to large metropolitan centres, but threaten the health of children and young people in towns and cities from Newcastle to Plymouth.

Get the full report from The Guardian HERE

A lot of people do not realise that children are more at risk of diesel emission because of their height. They are just at the height that these fumes come from diesel exhausts.

Very soon all of Britain's towns and cities will be banning diesel vehicles from such vulnerable areas; either that or they will be taxed out of existence in such areas.

Read about this from Auto Express HERE

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2610
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: Are diesels killing our children, and us ?

Post by zathrus on Thu 06 Apr 2017, 11:33 am

What a complete turnaround we are seeing here as just a few years go the government were pressurising us to buy the "cleaner" diesel vehicles and now we are hearing that we are going to get taxed out of buying diesels in the future and they are going to be banned from certain town centres and cities.

I was reading this morning that car-sales, ( especially diesels and other low emission cars, like hybrids ), were the highest they have been in the month of March in order to avoid the new VED rates that were imposed after April 1st.

If this is the case then the sales of diesels should nosedive from now on.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 07 Apr 2017, 12:02 pm

Yes Zathrus, one might expect that diesel sales might nose-dive once we are into May and June as by that time the extra taxation will be impossible to avoid.

As the only type of vehicle that will not attract this tax rise are the purely electric ones, one might have thought that the government subsidies for this purpose could have been raised.

I am sure that once there are a greater choice of types of solely electric vehicles available the prices for them will come down too.

I read yesterday from The Green Car daily newsletter that Mercedes are to enter the electric car market with four totally new models.

Find this news item HERE

I would not be surprised if the cheapo Dacia cars start to produce an electric version soon too.

Newsflash:

The latest on Dacia's plans for it's first electric car from Slovenia. See the prototype in images HERE

It is expected to be called The Dacia Sandero Elektro.

Maybe it will be the first truly inexpensive electric car available.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2501
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 08 Apr 2017, 12:28 pm

Every day I go out of the gates to my school to see the children away I see the cars and lorries and buses passing by and I can smell the dirty exhausts that they put out.

For the sake of our children alone either diesel engined vehicles are going to have to be properly cleaned up or they are going to have to be banned from driving anywhere near our schools.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 09 Apr 2017, 12:24 pm

Few people in Britain would disagree with that Angie.

My previous post might have some effect on this too if electric cars suddenly become affordable to the ordinary person in the street.

Dacia have a reputation for putting inexpensive, but fairly good cars into the British market, but I wonder if they will be able to continue with this reputation once they start to build and sell electric cars.

The big problem with electric cars is the high cost of the general technology and high cost of the large Lithium-Ion batteries, as at the moment they cost around £6,000 each to make.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 17 Oct 2017, 9:30 pm