Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

People who read the news more likely to be Islamophobic

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12351
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

People who read the news more likely to be Islamophobic

Post by papa_umau on Tue 04 Apr 2017, 11:30 am

People who read the news more likely to be Islamophobic, study finds.

Whether liberal or conservative, researchers found more avid news consumers showed both increased anger and reduced warmth towards members of the Islamic faith.

The findings, based on responses from 16,584 New Zealanders from the New Zealand Attitudes and Values Study (NZAVS), were published in leading international science journal PLOS ONE.

The authors said it showed widespread representations of Muslims in the news were contributing to lower acceptance.

Get the full story from Yahoo News HERE

OK, this is a survey that was done in New-Zealand, but maybe this argument could apply here too.

What do you think ?

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2585
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: People who read the news more likely to be Islamophobic

Post by zathrus on Thu 06 Apr 2017, 11:28 am

What a load of rubbish Paps.

I might agree with you if you said that the readers of certain down-market red-top tabloids were the only newspapers that the not-so-bright punters out there might read.

That might only be in New-Zealand, but I think the argument should stand just about anywhere that the uneducated read a low-level tabloid.

It is from this demographic that most of the hard-line opinions against Islam and just about anything or anyone foreign originate.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 07 Apr 2017, 11:38 am

Yes, and sadly, it is mostly the working class, ( usually Labour supporters ), that have now come to support these xenophobic and racist ideas.

As this is quite a "right-wing" kind of a view I was not surprised that the short-term UKIP followers were the core of the vote against immigration - for whatever reasons.

Now that UKIP are seriously falling apart after the Brexit vote I think that these types of voters will now go back to their original political stances.

Whatever political direction such people come from, racism is still racism and xenophobia is still xenophobia.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2473
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 08 Apr 2017, 12:23 pm

I agree with that statement Papa.

No matter the background, a racist is still a racist.

Mind you, I do think that the main reason for the rise of UKIP was the fact that no other party seemed interested in trying to control immigration to Britain.

Even as a remainer myself, I do think that uncontrolled immigration is a very dangerous thing.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 09 Apr 2017, 12:16 pm

That goes without saying Angie, but we should know that the immigration rate was/is attached to the immigration rules that we have to apply that are enforced by European statutes.

The whole idea - whether it will be applied or not after Brexit is complete - is that then we SHOULD have control of who comes into Britain from Europe as well as the rest of the world afterwards.

I am sure that once we no longer have to follow European dictat about this we are going to have to re-jig our own immigration laws and keep a tight record of the numbers that do come in.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 25 Sep 2017, 4:04 pm