Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Should GPs tell you how to lose weight ?

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12447
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Should GPs tell you how to lose weight ?

Post by papa_umau on Tue 21 Feb 2017, 2:52 pm

The 30-second chat that can trigger weight loss

Doctors who spend 30 seconds telling patients they need to lose weight can have a dramatic impact, a study shows.

Some people, who had no intention of shedding the pounds, lost 10% of their body weight after being offered a free weight-loss programme.

The University of Oxford researchers said the 30-second chat would have a huge effect if every GP did it.

The findings, published in the Lancet, showed that patients were not offended by the advice.

Get the full story from The BBC HERE

Being a bit overweight myself I know that I easily take umbrage at people lecturing to me about how to lose weight.

Mind you I do agree that I might accept this from my GP if it is done in a gentle way.

Do you think you would accept this kind of advice from you're GP ? ( assuming that you need it of course ).

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2610
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: Should GPs tell you how to lose weight ?

Post by zathrus on Fri 24 Feb 2017, 12:21 pm

Maybe a few people would diet properly if told to by their doctor, but just like stopping smoking, stopping eating too much all falls down because of lack of self control.

All of the smoking pills and patches are a load of rubbish and a crutch and dieting and fat-busting pills are exactly the same. A waste of time and money.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 25 Feb 2017, 11:49 am

We definitely need good self-control and a strong need to lose weight and get fit and this cannot be generated by a doctor giving us lectures about losing weight.

A FREE weight loss programme might help to do the trick, but the best "trick" is to close your mouth when a fork comes near with food on it.

A wee personal story of my own:

About twenty-five years ago when I was more than twenty stone, and a smoker, with a number of health complaints, my doctor put me in no doubt that if I did not lose a lot of weight and give up smoking I was going to kill myself.

That did the trick, and I have since stopped smoking completely and have lost three and a half stone in weight.

I am, and I feel, much healthier because of it.

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1284
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Mon 27 Feb 2017, 6:22 pm

General weight loss consists of eating a little less while moving a little more, but this cannot work for the disabled or those with special dietary needs, or even those whose medication is responsible for their weight gain.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 28 Feb 2017, 12:28 pm

That is very true HG, but I think that if a GP takes the time to point out WHY a person is overweight and advises how to solve that problem, with the help of a dietary-trained nurse, many more people might do what needs to be done to solve a lot of their problems by this act

Getting back to my own wee story, above: I was so unwell, at that time, with type-2 diabetes as a result of being overweight, that once I gave up smoking and made a lifestyle change as far as eating is considered, I have now had some of my medication stopped, ( as far as Gliclazide is concerned ), and I have also had my maximum dose of Metformin cut in half, with just about all of the symptoms of the diabetes now gone.

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1284
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Tue 28 Feb 2017, 1:11 pm

That is excellent Papa, the thing that bugs me most about GPs is that they glibly tell you to lose weight without giving you access to a dietitian, or any other help. Personally, I prefer to go see a pharmacist; they have the knowledge of the drugs and their interactions on the body.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 28 Feb 2017, 1:29 pm

Thanks HG.

I do think that - as part of this thread-start - doctors are now being told to give a bit more time to some holistic medicine instead of just thrusting a prescription in our hands and getting us out the door as quick as possible.

I also agree that free access to a dietitian connected to a free healthcare expert goes part way to solving many of our chronic problems.

I too have a very good chemist that is willing to take time to advise.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 17 Oct 2017, 9:32 pm