Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

New VED changes, ( road tax ), in 2017.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12447
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

New VED changes, ( road tax ), in 2017.

Post by papa_umau on Thu 05 Jan 2017, 11:55 am

New VED road tax: do you have all the facts on the 2017 UK car tax changes?

For all the info on 2017 changes to VED car tax check out our guide you may save a packet!

It's now 2017, which means the new rules for VED (Vehicle Excise Duty) or road tax are set to come into effect very soon. This means big changes to the system, including a switch up to new road tax bands which will affect anyone buying a new car from April 2017.

The big question for new car buyers is this: is it better to wait until April 1st, or is it more cost effective to change cars before the new regulations come into force?

The answer depends entirely on your choice of planned vehicle and most importantly its CO2 emissions.

Guide to new road tax bands

The report from Autoexpress HERE

The major change that effects the cost of buying low-emission and electric cars is the one that is important to me.

George Osborne, while he was still the Chancellor of the Exchequer, ordered that from April 2017 low emission cars such as modern diesels and electric hybrids would all pay an annual minimum flat rate of 140.00 instead of, as before, getting a sliding scale of lower costs to tax these types of vehicles.

From April 2017 only fully electric vehicles will get their VED for free.

Last edited by papa_umau on Fri 06 Jan 2017, 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2619
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: New VED changes, ( road tax ), in 2017.

Post by zathrus on Fri 06 Jan 2017, 11:33 am

Thanks for the info Paps.

I am not surprised that you are happy to point out that only electric cars will be free of all road tax in 2017.

This makes a nonsense of any government wanting to encourage the uptake of low-emission vehicles.

Even with the government subsidy of 4,500 electric cars are still too expensive for the ordinary man/woman.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 07 Jan 2017, 11:36 am

I will admit that since I heard of this rise in VED made by Osborne last year, and that it did not effect my electric car I was quite pleased that I went down that road, ( excuse the pun ).

I am even more pleased that the cost of road-fuels continues to rise as I am now protected from such rises.

Sounds selfish, I know, but I paid a premium to get my Nissan Leaf and it will take a good number of years to get the savings that will make it all worthwhile.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2501
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sun 08 Jan 2017, 11:41 am

At least you could afford to go electric. I cannot even afford to buy an old crock that burns fossil-fuels. Sad
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 09 Jan 2017, 11:32 am

Sorry about that Angie.

Because the expensive Lithium-ion batteries that are used in electric cars are getting cheaper by the day we are soon going to find that the cost of electric cars is soon going to come down to the price of fossil-fuel burning cars.

Find this bit of news from Green Car Reports HERE

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 19 Oct 2017, 11:03 pm