Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Legal battle over the UK in the single market.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12079
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Legal battle over the UK in the single market.

Post by papa_umau on Mon 28 Nov 2016, 11:45 am

Brexit: Legal battle over UK's single market membership

The government is facing a legal battle over whether the UK stays inside the single market after it has left the EU, the BBC has learned.

Lawyers say uncertainty over the UK's European Economic Area membership means ministers could be stopped from taking Britain out of the single market.

They will argue the UK will not leave the EEA automatically when it leaves the EU and Parliament should decide.

But the government said EEA membership ends when the UK leaves the EU.

Here's all of it from The BBC.

Well folks, this is only the first and probably the most important of the details surrounds getting out of the EU.

As I have said already, at each individual sub-decision concerning withdrawal from the EU, we are going to find that points of law are going to be raised which will almost always have to go to a full debate and a full vote both in The Commons and The Lords.

Coming out of Europe is going to eventually look like a death from a thousand cuts.

Comments anybody ?

Last edited by papa_umau on Tue 29 Nov 2016, 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total

Papa......

Nuthin fancy
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 470
    Registration date : 2015-05-07

Brexit

Post by Nuthin fancy on Mon 28 Nov 2016, 9:30 pm

Hi All,

What part of LEAVE do folks on this forum not understand ????

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Re: Legal battle over the UK in the single market.

Post by papa_umau on Tue 29 Nov 2016, 11:11 am

I think that the "folks" you are talking about on this occasion is me.

While crudely, I agree with that, the actual withdrawal itself will not be as easy as it sounds.

The whole question in the Brexit referendum was an extremely simple one and although the people did vote by a narrow majority to withdraw from the EU this might not include withdrawing from the single market, ( which incidentally was negotiated by Margaret Thatcher a lot of years ago ).

As has been said many times before in other subjects, "the devil is in the detail" and this is one "devil" that has dozens of "details" in it.

If any of the people that voted for Brexit thought that it was going to be an easy thing to do, they were kidding themselves on.

Papa......

Parliament....
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1623
    Registration date : 2009-09-29

This vote was basically to appease the Tory Euro sceptics in his party, this vote was not for the benefit of our country...

Post by Parliament.... on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 8:32 pm

From the outset David Cameron has thrown our country and our government into turmoil,  not only because the Tory Government have no Brexit plan, but also by giving the people this EU vote, which was basically to appease the Tory Euro sceptics in his party, this vote was not for the benefit of our country...

Even if the media termed “Brexit” voters think they have won the day, they may not have, because there are far too many entanglements involved for us to completely break all our connections with Europe yet, , if at all ?.

3 million British jobs are linked to our trade with the EU within the European single market.  The single market lies at the heart of the EU, and it requires the free movement of goods, people, and services, from one country to another...The EU single market removes barriers to trade.  This is one reason why I believe Parliament should have the final say!...To my knowledge, we can’t break away from Europe, and retain the EU single market, we can’t have it both ways, Europe doesn’t work like that!!

Parliament is comprised of our elected MP’s, chosen by their constituents to serve their constituents by making important decisions  on “our” behalf, therefore this very important decision about our connections with Europe should be a decision made by our democratically elected MP’s in Parliament to discuss on “behalf” of their constituents, and a democratic vote taken place.  Our members of parliament have the full knowledge, the English people largely, do not!

Why else do we have the House of Commons, ? why else do we have a Parliament ?.  Why else have we got MP’s.?..To  make serious decisions on our behalf following their constituents wishes, then a democratic vote held in Parliament, and a decision taken....

It is an observation that under British Law, the High Court have made this ruling that Parliament should have the last word on triggering Article 50 which sets in motion breaking all our connections with the EU.

It is an irony that one of the reasons some people voted “out”, is because these “out” voters do not want European Laws operating in “our” country, taking president over our laws,  well “our” British High Court Judges have made this ruling, and now the British Supreme Court are making the final say...

Also If the Supreme Court agrees with the High Court that the English Parliament should indeed have the last word regarding Article 50, we all have to bare in mind that Scotland, although having their own Parliament, but with limited powers,  voted to stay part of Europe, so if the Supreme British court overrides the High Court decision, and the British “out” vote stays, what then happens to Scotland ?

I have read on Social media that Nicola Sturgeon, leader of the Scottish National party,  will vote with the other pro- Europeans in the House of Commons, not to trigger Article 50 and the process of leaving....

So if the Pro- Europeans in Parliament win the vote, and Article 50 is not triggered, what then ?

I know that we cannot break off our connections with the EU and stay in the European single market, we cannot pick and choose.

Ivanhoe
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 13 Dec 2016, 5:02 pm

Welcome back Ivanhoe, even if you are using a new registration.

As a remainer myself, I simply cannot deny the referendum vote that won Brexit.

I know that many of the "remainers" in and out of parliament are going to throw as many spanners in the works as they can over this, but no filibustering or awkward-squad motions are going to stop it happening, as eventually, and even after a lot of years, it IS going to happen.

Papa......

Parliament....
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1623
    Registration date : 2009-09-29

Post by Parliament.... on Tue 13 Dec 2016, 6:13 pm

papa_umau wrote:Welcome back Ivanhoe, even if you are using a new registration.

As a remainer myself, I simply cannot deny the referendum vote that won Brexit.

I know that many of the "remainers" in and out of parliament are going to throw as many spanners in the works as they can over this, but no filibustering or awkward-squad motions are going to stop it happening, as eventually, and even after a lot of years, it IS going to happen.

I was also a remainer. And I dont think we will ever break our connection with Europe.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Thu 15 Dec 2016, 10:58 am

There is only one word for that..... Naivety.

Papa......

Gandhi
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Number of posts : 251
    Registration date : 2015-05-09

Post by Gandhi on Sun 18 Dec 2016, 11:14 am

Yes you are naive Paps
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 20 Dec 2016, 3:47 pm

Let's just wait and see shall we !.

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1217
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Sat 24 Dec 2016, 12:21 pm

Now, I voted to stay, yet learning things which were previously hidden from the majority of voters in the runup to the referendum, I am now quite pleased we are leaving.

As we have never been a part of the Schengen Agreement, I object to the automatic free movement of residents, as we have been shown that borderless access is a problem when there are economic migrants taking advantage of open borders(I have no problem with genuine asylum seekers).

The EU decisions on a Europe-wide Military also worries me greatly; personally I think that Belgium, having been trampled in the War and then Elevated to run the EU is getting far too dictatorial and too big for its' own boots.

I just hope we can extricate ourselves without too much damage.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 24 Dec 2016, 12:33 pm

Great point HG.

It was highlighted just yesterday that the Schengen agreement of freedom between EU borders allowed the mass Berlin murderer Anis Amri to travel all the way to Milan before a routine spot check stopped him because two cops were vigilant enough to ask for his papers.

He shot one and was in turn shot dead by the other young cop.

Natural justice I call that !

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 22 Jul 2017, 1:37 am