Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

The burkini from M&S

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12108
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

The burkini from M&S

Post by papa_umau on Mon 28 Nov 2016, 11:24 am

It's not just any burkini: M&S launches new body-covering swimsuits for Muslims.

Marks and Spencer now sells two styles of the full length swimming costume made famous by Nigella Lawson.

It is the Islamic swimwear range with a little extra “magic and sparkle”.

In a sign of the growing diversity of Britain’s shoppers, Marks and Spencer has put the burkini on shelves in England.

The burkini - designed to adhere to strict modesty standards - made headlines when donned by Nigella Lawson on a beach holiday five years ago as protection from sunburn.

The M&S version, which promises to cover the whole body “without compromising on style”, has already proved popular in branches in Dubai and Libya, where it has been on sale for three years.

Get the full story from The Telegraph HERE

This suggests to me that Muslim women want to look beautiful on the beach but they also want to fulfil their religious need to be modest.

I don't think that they can have both, do you ?

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1226
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Re: The burkini from M&S

Post by Hell's Granny on Thu 01 Dec 2016, 4:53 pm

They don't want to look beautiful; that in itself is against the tenets of Islam; a woman is expected to cover up and keep her charms, including her hair, purely for her husband, it is a practical covering allowing the person to swim and also be a responsible parent in taking care of their children on the beach. Children being children they will always be up to things they shouldn't, and the parent (almost always the mother,) is responsible for the children at the beach as well as in the home. It is a totally different mindset to the British and European one.

The same thing is part of the Jewish Laws too, to a lesser degree. An Orthodox married woman must cover her hair (often with a wig) and must keep shoulders covered, not wear low cut dresses or very short skirts. It is less rigorous than Islamic rules, but the point still holds good. It is only Western Secularism that allows the 'Anything Goes' attitude. It is less than a hundred years since Western women started to show even an ankle.

Personally, I think that the 'burkini' is a great item of clothing, especially for those with fair skin who would like to be able to swim in hot weather. It can also cover a multitude of body problems. I would happily wear it.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 02 Dec 2016, 1:00 pm

Thanks for that HG. It is good to have this explained.

I am still of the opinion that while any woman can totally cover her body, for whatever reasons, if she wishes, she should not be allowed to cover her face at any time as this risks others using this ability to get away with crimes or even terrorist atrocities.

As I see it, France have the right idea here as they have outlawed the Burka and the Niqab, as wearing both of these "religious-based" garments infringes on basic security arguments.

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Post by Hell's Granny on Fri 02 Dec 2016, 4:56 pm

The burkini does not cover the face. I too am uneasy with niqab, but am happy with hijab. Over my nursing years I came in contact with people of all faiths and none, and they were always pleased to be asked about their culture. I always seek to know more about other cultures so I do not inadvertantly give offence.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 03 Dec 2016, 12:11 pm

There is an old saying: "When in Rome, do as the Romans do", and while that is the lowest level that people should behave, I do say that following that epithet every person should follow the religious guidelines in the countries that they visit.

That goes for Britain as well.

Having said that, I do feel that any attempt to cover all or part of the face with religious garments like the use of the Niqab or Burka is contradictory to good safety and security in any reasonable country.

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Post by Hell's Granny on Sat 03 Dec 2016, 1:58 pm

Hijab just covers the hair, and even British women often wear headscarves when the weather is bad.
    zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2520
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Sat 03 Dec 2016, 2:32 pm

I don't think the argument here is about headscarves.

I think it is about hiding their faces by materials that are not used normally in Britain.

Quite simply, if the religious laws of one country, ( Sharia Laws for example ), contravene the laws of any second country then the second country's laws should be enforced.

Our own lawmakers are too afraid of upsetting the Muslims to bring in this common sense law.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 04 Dec 2016, 12:08 pm

Well said Zath'.

Strangely, maybe, I would think that wearing a "Burkini" might draw more attention to the Islamic woman that wears it, making her less liable to be modest than more modest as might be required by her husband or father.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 26 Jul 2017, 1:44 pm