Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Floods every winter now.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12466
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Floods every winter now.

Post by papa_umau on Tue 22 Nov 2016, 11:49 am

UK flooding: Flood warnings remain as squally weather predicted

Wind and rain will continue to batter parts of England and Wales in the wake of Storm Angus, which has caused flash flooding and travel chaos.

The main rail line to the South West has been washed away in several places following torrential downpours.

A ferry that has been stranded at sea for 26 hours is now approaching dock at Fishguard, Pembrokeshire.

Elsewhere roads remain closed and trains cancelled. Floods sirens have also been sounded in Yorkshire.

Get the full story from The BBC News HERE

Correct me if I am wrong, ( as I am sure you will ), but I have to ask: Are floods EVERY Winter an old thing or is something very disturbing happening here now ?

I never remember such common reports about severe flooding in Britain when I was younger, and I am wondering if I just did not notice such items in the news, or, had such experiences of bad flooding but just don't remember them.

Anybody ?

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1284
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Re: Floods every winter now.

Post by Hell's Granny on Tue 22 Nov 2016, 4:41 pm

I too do not remember flooding and Storm damage being so widespread in the past. I remember being utterly shocked after the Great Storm of 1987, yet today there is far worse every winter.

I was also shocked by the Bude Flood in the 80's, also the Boscastle floods in 2004, since which things have got progressively worse all over the country. Property damage is immense each winter nowadays, and the infastructure destruction unspeakable.

With all the water coming down we are also getting far more sinkholes, especially on sandy and limestone soils.

Floodplain building needs to stop immediately.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Wed 23 Nov 2016, 11:13 am

Yes, I have resisted flood-plain development for many years, and even the government are starting to stop such development now.

Being a climate change supporter, I think that these year-in-year-out floods are now just too common to be normal "weather".

Last edited by papa_umau on Sun 27 Nov 2016, 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2619
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Thu 24 Nov 2016, 11:58 am

And another thing.

When I was young we used to have hard winters and large snow-falls and I remember well ice-skating on our local pond. Now we see rainfall like we have not seen before and floods EVERY year.

If that is not being caused by global warming then what is causing it ?
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 25 Nov 2016, 12:29 pm

After a few arguments between weather scientists most of them now agree that Climate Change is true and that the "normal" weather patterns are being interfered with because of this phenomenon.

I also read yesterday that while not a lot of the snow and ice at the South pole is being melted by Climate Change, the same snow and ice at the North pole is disappearing at a previously unrecorded high rate.

While the North pole is not made up of a land base, like the South pole, it is all ice that has been formed over many thousands of years, and this ice, just like the ice in the disappearing glaciers, is raising the world's ocean levels and putting a lot of very cold water into these oceans that are now being evaporated into the clouds that are producing so much rain and so much flooding.

It is about time that the countries of the world did something radical about trying to stop Climate Change before we lose many millions of acres of land on low-lying islands and coastlines to these rising seas.

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1284
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Fri 25 Nov 2016, 1:28 pm

I have a hypothesis regarding the speed of change between the North and South polar icecaps.

The Northern Hemisphere is more densely populated than the Southern one; therefore more heat is generated in Northern Latitudes.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 26 Nov 2016, 12:42 pm

Excellent hypothesis HG, as that could very well be the reason why the ice in the North polar regions is melting at a greater rate than that of the South polar regions.

More people, more pollution, more pollution, more climate change.

I am sure that the climatologist scientists will have come to that conclusion too.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2510
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 26 Nov 2016, 1:17 pm

Well worked out HG.

Although I live in an upstairs flat and up here I have little chance of being flooded out, my partner's mother has been flooded out three times over the past few years and now she cannot get any insurance against flooding at all.

Of course the first thing that has to be done is that more flood defences are put into vulnerable areas and that no more building is done in these areas either.

THEN, the politicians of the world need to really get together to try hard to stop Climate Change at source.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 27 Nov 2016, 12:13 pm

Actually Angie, there have been a number of weather summits in recent years, but it is very difficult to force many countries to do what is best to try to stop Climate Change.

Since 1995 there have been five major meetings of COP and of the UNFCCC.

- COP19, Warsaw
    - COP18, Doha
    - COP17, Durban
    - COP16, Cancun
    - COP15, Copenhagen

United Nations Climate Conferences

Since 1995, the Conference of the Parties (COP) to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), have been meeting annually to promote the climate change agenda as well as seek long-term solutions to take us forward to a low-carbon and climate-resilient future.

Thousands of participants from government representatives to observer organizations take part in sessions. The COP 15 in Copenhagen in 2009 attracted over 24,000 delegates, including some 10,590 government officials, over 13,000 representatives of UN bodies and agencies, intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations, and 3,221 accredited media members. COP 16 / CMP 6 in Cancun last year had over 11,800 participants.

UNEPs ( The United nations Environment Programme ), work on climate change is shaped by the UNFCCC negotiations and aims at help countries strengthen their resilience to climate change by moving to low carbon societies, reducing emissions and improving the understanding of climate science to realise a Green Economy for the 21st century.

While it is good to get so many powerful people and countries together to talk about Climate Change, sadly very little of any practicality has come out of these meetings.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 23 Oct 2017, 7:06 am