Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Scots and Welsh to have a say in the Brexit court case.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12447
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Scots and Welsh to have a say in the Brexit court case.

Post by papa_umau on Sat 19 Nov 2016, 12:03 pm

Scots and Welsh can have say in Brexit court case

The Scottish and Welsh governments are to be allowed to have a say in the Supreme Court battle over how Brexit should be triggered.

The government is appealing against a High Court ruling that MPs must get a vote on triggering Article 50.

The Supreme Court confirmed that Wales and Scotland's senior law officers will be allowed to take part in the appeal.

This hearing is expected to start on 5 December and last four days, with the decision expected in the new year.

Get the full story from The BBC HERE

As if the whole thing was not complicated enough on its own we are now going to see it being made even more complicated by Scotland and Wales now being able to stick their oar in.

I guess that is just democracy being applied in all of it's detail and Theresa May is not going to be able to get all her own way in the Brexit negotiations.

Personally I cannot wait until the result of the appeal to the Supreme Court is published in the new year.

Papa......

Nuthin fancy
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 470
    Registration date : 2015-05-07

Having a say

Post by Nuthin fancy on Sat 19 Nov 2016, 1:41 pm

Hi All,

Not surprised, but I would hardly call it democracy Paps. The people have spoken, its clear BREXIT. That said I fully expected the dirty tricks. We all know what Sturgeon is going to do, but if you value the future in Scotland I suggest you act, and look HERE:

https://www.change.org/p/the-scottish-call-for-nicola-sturgeon-to-stand-down-as-first-minister-of-scotland

As for May, then I fear she is all talk and no action. The sensible thing to do is call the bluff and hold an election, but I doubt she has the guts. One thing is for sure, if the will if the majority is ignored and overturned by these traitors you can expect more than riots on the streets !

Technician
    Gandhi
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Number of posts : 251
    Registration date : 2015-05-09

Re: Scots and Welsh to have a say in the Brexit court case.

Post by Gandhi on Sat 19 Nov 2016, 2:22 pm

Nice to see everyone still talking garbage about Brexit. Anyone would think the court case was about brexit itself but it is not. It is about parliament discussing it which imho is not unreasonable. Quite what the Welsh Windbags and the Haggis Munchers have to add is hard to fathom - if they are joining the UK Government in the appeal they will simply have to foot the bill twice. If they are joining Gina Miller then they will help spread her costs without affecting the result. Either way it is what Americans would call a 'lose lose'. Maybe they just want to keep up the fantasy of independence alive.

As it stands the only outcome is a second referendum on clear terms - 52:48 is NOT a clear mandate no matter how much the Brexshits like to think.
    Nuthin fancy
    Major
    Major

Brexit etc

Post by Nuthin fancy on Sat 19 Nov 2016, 3:31 pm

Hi all,

Sorry you don't understand Gandhi. We have had a referendum and we are out. No second one until you get the result you want we are out!. Riots if you try and overturn that.

Technician
    Gandhi
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Number of posts : 251
    Registration date : 2015-05-09

Post by Gandhi on Sun 20 Nov 2016, 8:20 am

I think you are the one who doesn't understand my friend - You do not have enough support to plunge the UK into decades of recession. It is the governments job to do what is best for the country - not referenda

G
    Nuthin fancy
    Major
    Major

Post by Nuthin fancy on Sun 20 Nov 2016, 9:38 am

Nuff said, just shows your ignorance !!!!

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 20 Nov 2016, 11:36 am

I see you two are having fun, but all I say is that while the result of a referendum is democratic AND binding, it is all about how this result is implemented, ( especially in the case of Brexit ), and also by sending legal representatives to the Supreme Court from Scotland and Wales is also a "democratic" act.

"Democracy" is loosely meant to mean government by the will of the people, but as the Google definition of the word says:

"A system of government by the whole population or all the eligible members of a state, typically through elected representatives"

Democracy also means the machinery that has been arrived at via national elections and via the elected people acting on our behalf.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2501
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sun 20 Nov 2016, 12:02 pm

After all of that parry and thrust combat by you two is finished, I do think that before the article 50 can be triggered a fully democratic discussion and votes across both of the houses of parliament will have to be completed.

If the Supreme Court upholds the decision made by The High Court then Theresa May will not be able to ride rough-shod over the democratic processes of the whole parliament by trying to ram her own ideas through.
    Nuthin fancy
    Major
    Major

Brexit etc

Post by Nuthin fancy on Sun 20 Nov 2016, 2:25 pm

Hi all,

Yes Paps, a reasoned argument by yourself of course. I have decided that should the 'remoaners' have their way in overturning Brexit, then from a personal point of view I shall never vote again. I shall also revive my plans to move to India and spend the major portion of my time there.

The ludicrous argument by Gandhi is just that, I quote him 'It is the governments job to do what is best for the country - not referenda'. That's rich coming from an individual who is pushing for a SECOND referendum...You could not make it up!!!

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 21 Nov 2016, 11:53 am

As I expect the Supreme Court to uphold the decision of the High Court I am sure that this is going to come back with an instruction that all of the decisions made in and around Brexit are going to have to go to a full democratic examination and vote in BOTH of our houses of parliament.

If this is to be the case then the details of these discussions in both houses are going to take a very long time even before article 50 is to be triggered.

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1284
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Tue 22 Nov 2016, 4:21 pm

Until voting becomes mandatory, there will be no 'real' Will of The People, and we will continue this farce where too many feel their vote doesn't count.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Wed 23 Nov 2016, 10:50 am

That, is why many people don't think their vote counts, as they see themselves as just one vote "and that cannot possibly have an effect on elections". IT DOES and the quicker the electorate get used to the fact the better.

Of course, like in Australia, where the voting is compulsory, they can then truly say that the result is fully democratic.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 17 Oct 2017, 9:40 pm