Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Are the dearest food mixers always the best.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 11956
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Are the dearest food mixers always the best.

Post by papa_umau on Wed 09 Nov 2016, 11:08 am

Premium vs cheap food processors and mixers Which? reveals whether you need to splash the cash.

Our latest food processor and mixer test see budget brands battling it out with premium machines. But can cheaper models from Morphy Richards and Russell Hobbs compete with kitchen heavyweights such as Kenwood and Magimix ?

Find out the best deals from Which? HERE

I have always looked for value for money when I need to buy stuff and I have found that just because something has a "name" and costs more does not guarantee that it is the best available.

I have used Which? to make my mind up on this subject many times, and just as usual we see that the biggest names are not always the best VFM.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2488
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: Are the dearest food mixers always the best.

Post by zathrus on Thu 10 Nov 2016, 11:08 am

While I have no experience with food-mixers, I think that one of the most interesting points about these things is that almost all of them are now made in China and that is how some of them can now be sold very cheaply.

What is also interesting is that many of the electronic goods coming from China are of surprisingly good quality, when previously we had to go to the German manufacturers to get the high quality.

The thing I have found, looking at many types of electrical goods, it is often very hard to find the "Made in China" label on these things.

I think by law that they have to have it, but in many cases this label is inside the article and not on the outside where it can be easily seen.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 11 Nov 2016, 11:58 am

There is no doubt that nowadays the hi-tech products that come from China are of much better quality than used to be.

OK, amongst the very cheapest of these goods we can still find some really poor quality items, but in the main and while still paying much less than the prices for other country's products of this type, China is now leading the world in high-quality electrical products.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2377
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 12 Nov 2016, 12:58 pm

I love cooking, and like many other people I have been pushed into it by Mary Berry and the Bake-off programme to cook and bake more.

For a while I did most of my mixing by hand, but after seeing how easy it was to use a proper mixer I bought one. I had no clue as to how many of these things there were out there until I started looking.

I found that they are usually at around 100 to 300 for the "professional" ones made by Kenwood, Bosch, Morphy Richards and others but I bought a very good one made in China called a VonChef at 30.00.

Find it here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/VonShef-Warranty-Speeds-Function-Beaters-x/dp/B01ERUGVE2/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1478955141&sr=8-9&keywords=kitchen+electric+mixer

I do not have anything against buying stuff made in China.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 13 Nov 2016, 11:58 am

Thanks for the responses folks.

And thank you for the comparison and the link to the VFM mixer Angie.

Here we have again, proof that it is not always the most expensive items that are the best.

Many people, usually snobbish types, like to buy "named" goods as they think that if they pay the most for such things they are always guaranteed the highest quality. While this CAN be the case it is not always the case and buying names can often be very expensive with no noticeable improvement in VFM obvious.

I guess, you "pays your money and you takes your choice" as the Americans say.

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1169
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Sun 13 Nov 2016, 10:42 pm

I got my big stand mixer from Wilkinsons for 100. I tend to go for own brand things rather than big names. I rarely spend a lot on gadgets as even big named things fail in a few years.

I have just bought a Microwave/grill for 48 in Tesco and am looking to Argos for another mini-oven at around 80. I'm not spending vast amounts on stuff right now as I'm hoping to get on the move in the New Year, hopefully to Wales, where I have friends.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 14 Nov 2016, 10:12 am

Best of luck to you HG, as almost all modern electrical appliances have what is known as "built-in-obsolescence".

Because of this the latest trick is to pressurise people into taking out extended warranties at something like half the price of the original product.

The poor consumers are being attacked from all sides as far as VFM is concerned.

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1169
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Mon 14 Nov 2016, 2:54 pm

Yep; I have never taken out an extended warranty.

I like my money where it belongs- in my bank account!
    Gandhi
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Number of posts : 234
    Registration date : 2015-05-09

Post by Gandhi on Tue 15 Nov 2016, 7:53 am

How much does a wooden spoon cost these days?

G
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 15 Nov 2016, 12:05 pm

Ignoring Gandhi's spurious comment.....

I have further proof that extended warranties are just another make-money scheme they use.

Earlier in the year, a dangerous flaw, ( risk of fire ), was found in many Hotpoint, Whirlpoo,l and Indesit tumbler driers, and after reporting my dryer to the call-line I was told that my machine was one of those that were being either recalled, converted, or replaced cheaply.

As a brand new replacement 8 kilo load Hotpoint dryer was available at a great price of 59.00, ( the one being recalled was four years old ), I jumped at the chance.

After it was delivered and I was totally satisfied with it I phoned to register the free 10 years parts guarantee to go along with the statutory one year manufacturers guarantee and after having done this I was bombarded by a sales pitch that was pleasant but very persistent about taking out a choice of one of three types of extended warranties. I kept quite until the script was finished and then I gently said..."no thanks" and the person hung up on me.

Just thinking about the length of that script I wondered if the telephonist that was performing it was paid commission for landing extended warranties.

We really have to, just like our HG, be prepared to resist these warranties as over a couple of years they often cost more than the original purchase price to buy.

It's a dog-eat-dog world in the consumeration game.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 27 Jun 2017, 4:44 pm