Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

M&S to close clothing and home stores.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12657
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

M&S to close clothing and home stores.

Post by papa_umau on Tue 08 Nov 2016, 12:07 pm

M&S to close clothing and home stores in turnaround plan

Chief executive Steve Rowe's turnaround plans will also see 200 new Simply Food shops open as it shifts away from disappointing clothes sales.

He said M&S also planned to close loss-making shops in 10 international markets, including China and France.

The announcements came as M&S reported falling sales and profits in the six months to the end of September.

Get the full shocking story from The BBC HERE

I guess we all know that M&S have been having a hard time in their clothing and home-stores outlets for a long time and just like BHS they have lost a lot of this trade to the likes of Primark and the other discounting stores.

It seems that this competition is now so bad that instead of just shutting up shop completely, like BHS, they are going to deliberately shrink their clothes and home-stores market so that their successful food stores at home AND abroad can be allowed to continue to make profit.

This still seems like a very desperate thing to do as their influence on the high-street has been even more powerful than the likes of the now-defunct BHS.

What do you good folks think ?

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2685
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: M&S to close clothing and home stores.

Post by zathrus on Thu 10 Nov 2016, 11:20 am

It was not much of a surprise that BHS went that way, but it is quite a shock that M & S are shrinking in a similar manner.

The well off snobs will now need to find somewhere else to buy their "up-market" clothes from.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 11 Nov 2016, 12:07 pm

While it is true that M&S certainly did cost more for the average clothing items we could still find such costs much higher in the other named products in the fashion high-street.

M&S have spend a fortune on very expensive television advertising in an effort to appeal to the younger customers, but they never quite made it there as other shops like Next and Debenhams, for instance, could fill that niche without costing too much.

Of course, once again, the big discounters like Primark totally cornered the market for cheap but medium quality clothes.

Personally I am not one bit surprised that M&S fell to the competition in this narrow market demograph.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2573
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 12 Nov 2016, 1:11 pm

The only thing that M&S had of late were a few nice designs and good sizes that were never nipped.

I actually prefer Next when I am buying clothes.

I won't miss M&S but I will miss BHS.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 13 Nov 2016, 12:22 pm

When they consider the falling sales numbers in M&S I think that they will agree with you that nothing they seemed to do could protect them from failing in this spectacular way.

My wife agrees with you Angie, that she too will miss BHS much more than M&S as she said to me just yesterday that one thing that BHS was very good at was producing reasonably-priced and interesting items for sale at Christmas.

I agree with her there.

Papa......

Nuthin fancy
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 470
    Registration date : 2015-05-07

M&S etc

Post by Nuthin fancy on Sun 13 Nov 2016, 4:35 pm

Hi All,

I am not a fashion guru, neither am I a 'retail expert'. I have never been a slave to fashion or 'designer gear', as I am not prepared to pay the prices. I always thought ( and my mum used to say! ) That M&S quality was always good for the basic stuff ( ie socks, undies etc ). people did not mind paying a 'bit extra' for the good quality. I think by that they meant at the time 'British made'.

Unfortunately in my view M&S have taken their eye off the ball. In particularly they have decided they need to compete with the 'fashion' houses and the trendy ( and often expensive ) shops catering for the young set. Add to this the fact that buying British is now in many cases very expensive even if you can source the products; so in my view the quality has gone down but you are still paying 'top dollar'. They need to be clear which market they are aiming at and concentrate on that ( ie older people ? ). Result: trade has decreased.

I am very keen on price, and if it fits, looks good and has a reasonable shelf life I will buy. I like PRIMARK, as I can find stuff I want at a reasonable price ( just bought a nice winter coat there for about half the price of a similar one in Trespass !!). Its popular in our area. Case in point. I don't live too far from Lytham St Annes, and its plethora of expensive 'charity shops' where many of the clothes are significantly more expensive than PRIMARK !!!

Technician

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1316
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Sun 13 Nov 2016, 11:03 pm

I'm sorry that M&S has lost it's way on the clothing front recently; but they are too expensive for what are relatively boring products.

As for their food, it's far too expensive for a pensioner with a carer/ son with the appetite of a gannet!
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 14 Nov 2016, 10:58 am

Yes HG, they have let their ordinary customers down and they are now paying for it.

For a long while they could depend on the well-off customers coming back again and again, but now even the well-off are starting to be canny about where they spend their money.

A good analogy, I think is with the likes of the up-market supermarkets and the German discounters, as at first the snobs would not be seen dead in Aldi or Lidl until they started to accept card-payments, started to stock some high-quality food under an up-market label, and started to make the look of their shops more acceptable instead of just stacking it high and selling it cheap.

The exact same has happened to the clothes shops with Primark producing a lot of really nice stuff.

M&S were already dead, but would not lie down.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 18 Dec 2017, 4:51 am