Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Mobile phone roaming here at home.

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2406
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Mobile phone roaming here at home.

Post by Angie baby on Sat 29 Oct 2016, 12:50 pm

Here's a bit of news from the BBC that surprised me no end.

Mobile phone companies should allow customers to roam between networks in areas of the UK where they struggle to get reception, a group of MPs has said.

The British Infrastructure Group said foreign visitors get better coverage, as they are not tied to any provider, so can use the strongest signal.

The report said 17 million customers had poor reception at home and it named 525 areas with non-existent coverage.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37808943

Have any of you found that you have very poor signals from your tied mobile phone and realised that you cannot easily use the signals from another company's mobile mast ?

Well, as you can see from the above quote, an influential group of MPs are now calling for roaming between different providers signals to be allowed, just as they are abroad.

This is so obvious, as foreign visitors to the UK can already do this, I don't know why it has never come up before.

What do you good peeps think about this ?
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12107
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Re: Mobile phone roaming here at home.

Post by papa_umau on Sun 30 Oct 2016, 12:16 pm

Another great bit of news Angie.

I have never thought about how foreigners are allowed to roam around all of our mobile airtime providers here in Britain and yet we are stuck with whatever poor signals we get with just one mobile phone company.

I do hope that roaming is allowed for the Brits as many of us have very poor signals at home with the one airtime provider we are stuck with.

I don't know why our phones do not just connect to the strongest signal they can find as it must be easy to organise this service.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2527
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Thu 03 Nov 2016, 12:10 pm

That's interesting, as I didn't know that they could do this in Britain.

I suppose that if they can automatically allow roaming through the mobile phone companies abroad they should be able to do it here too.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 04 Nov 2016, 11:34 am

I see no reason why roaming should not be possible at home if it is possible abroad.

I hope it is, as there are many people who have poor or non-existent signals from single air-time providers.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2406
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 05 Nov 2016, 12:11 pm

Thanks for the responses guys.

I am sure that many people will be happy to hear this as more and more people are using mobiles at home and getting rid of their land lines.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 06 Nov 2016, 12:31 pm

A great point Angie, as it is very true that lots of land lines are now being ditched in favour of mobile phones.

The only thing that stops many people, including me, from doing this is that along with the land-line phone usually comes a broadband package that provides a home wi-fi node for many internet-connection devices to use.

No doubt that in the future, when mobile phones get even cleverer and more powerful we will see them being able to provide their own cheap and fast support for broadband use over 5G or 6G services. Of course other devices in the home like computers and lap-tops will have to be able to piggy-back on these services.

That might be a while into the future as land lines and home broadband deals are too lucrative for the companies that get the big incomes from them.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 28 Jul 2017, 1:49 am