Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Gambling industry facing crackdown.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12456
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Gambling industry facing crackdown.

Post by papa_umau on Tue 25 Oct 2016, 11:39 am

Gambling industry braces for Government crackdown

Bookmakers are bracing for a Government crackdown on the industry, including high stakes fixed-odds gambling machines and its advertising tactics.

The Government’s gambling minister Tracey Crouch fired the starting gun yesterday on a  sweeping review of all types of gaming machines and the harm they may cause to players and the communities in which they live.

Find the whole report from The Telegraph HERE

I have often wondered about the rise and rise of these infernal machines and also wondered how long they would be allowed to go on before the government would eventually step in and ban them.

These machines, nicknamed "the crack cocaine" of gambling have been doing serious damage to this industry because they are so easy to lose large amounts of money in a very short time by using them.

OK, I hear you say that it is not the machines that are at fault, it is the gamblers who already have the addiction that are misusing these gambling terminals.

What are your opinions on these machines, and do you think they should be banned ?

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2619
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: Gambling industry facing crackdown.

Post by zathrus on Thu 27 Oct 2016, 11:23 am

I don't know why they have taken so long to sort out these gambling machines as all of us have know for years that they are dangerous bits of technology.

Saying that, I don't think they will have the bottle to do it right.

The wife has a pal that has a daughter that is the manager of a local bookies and she says that if it was not for the gambling machines her shop would close tomorrow.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 28 Oct 2016, 12:06 pm

Yes, I am sure that the income from these once called "one armed bandits" does help towards the profits of the bookies.

But then again, has anybody ever seen a poor bookmaker ?

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2501
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 29 Oct 2016, 12:16 pm

Oh, I hate those bloody machines with a vengeance as my partner is well and truly captivated by them.

I have been looking forward to them being banned for a very long time as they are really bad for people who already have a gambling habit.

Does anyone else have experience of these high-risk and easy to get captured machines ?
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 30 Oct 2016, 11:45 am

I am sorry about that Angie, but for a gambler, don't blame the machines as any true gambler will gamble about two flies running up a window. Twisted Evil

Having said that these fixed odds betting terminals or FOBTs ARE very easy to get addicted to.

What's worse is that they allow large amounts of money to be gambled away - and sometimes won - in a very short period of time.

My worry is that the government will not have the courage to totally ban these things, but they might put down some laws that restrict their use.

I will keep an eye on the legislation that is to be brought forward on them.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 20 Oct 2017, 7:07 pm