Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

New laws against mobile phone-user drivers.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 11956
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

New laws against mobile phone-user drivers.

Post by papa_umau on Tue 04 Oct 2016, 11:53 am

New six-point penalty for mobile phone use when driving

Motorists caught using a handheld mobile phone when driving to face six penalty points and a 200 fine from 2017

Under new rules announced by the Government today, drivers caught using a hand held mobile phone while driving face increased penalties.

Texting, making phone calls without a hands free kit or checking social media accounts will incur a 200 fine and six driving licence penalty points from 2017.

Drivers who have recently passed their test face having their licence revoked and being forced to retake their test.

Get the full ruling from Autoexpress HERE

I am not a great fan of increasing punishment tariffs for any lawbreaking as severity of punishment has a history of not changing people's minds as far as law-breaking is concerned.

Having said that I DO think that on this occasion the law SHOULD be tightened up, as while I go about on the roads I see far too many people with phones to their ears or even TEXTING while driving.

Like with many other new cars, like mine, there is an option for pairing our mobile phones with the car so that all incoming and outgoing calls can be done with both hands on the wheel.

I know that not a lot of people can afford to buy a car that is that new, but even if they have an older car they can buy a hands free Bluetooth gadget that will do the very same job for very little money.

HERE is just one page from Google that shows many of these bits of kit for sale.

What say the Robsters on this subject ?

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2488
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: New laws against mobile phone-user drivers.

Post by zathrus on Fri 07 Oct 2016, 10:10 am

I might get one of those hands-free bluetooth car-kits for when I am in my van as I do get a lot of calls to my mobile while I am driving. I cannot risk getting done for using my phone at my ear while on the road.

I agree that texting while driving is not only a dangerous thing to do, but it is a totally stupid thing to do too.
    Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1169
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Fri 07 Oct 2016, 2:25 pm

I would be quite happy to see an automatic ban on drivers using a phone at the wheel, unless it has hands-free kit such as Bluetooth. 12 points would concentrate their minds, even without the accompanying fine.

When I drove my phone was OFF all the time I was driving. I valued my licence, and when I gave up driving it was still clean.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 11956
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by papa_umau on Sat 08 Oct 2016, 1:07 pm

I agree HG, as even right now, I see many people with phones at their ears while driving. The punishment tariff for doing this seems to be having no effect at all on the driving public.

What we need is a proper deterrent so that they think twice before making or even answering a call in their car if they do not have hands-free Bluetooth to do it for them.

As I showed above, these bits of kit attached to the car, cost very little and they might save a big fine, a disqualification, and a criminal record, by installing and using them.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 28 Jun 2017, 1:19 am