Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Labour to "rescue the NHS"

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12657
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Labour to "rescue the NHS"

Post by papa_umau on Tue 27 Sep 2016, 11:28 am

Shadow Health Secretary will also claim only Labour can 'rescue' the health service

Labour will vow to strip private firms of health contracts where they can be shown to be “ripping-off the NHS”.

Diane Abbott, the Shadow Health Secretary, will also promise on Today to rein in the private sector by promising to break expensive private finance initiative (PFI) contracts where possible.

The “excessive charging of the Big Pharmaceutical companies” will also be in Labour’s sights if it wins the next general election, she will say.

Get the full report from The Independent online HERE

OK, this certainly sounds a bit like electioneering to me, but if a new and complete Labour Party is willing to put such plans into their manifesto, I am sure that this will increase their rather slim - at the moment - chance of getting elected next time round.

Anybody ?

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2685
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: Labour to "rescue the NHS"

Post by zathrus on Thu 29 Sep 2016, 11:08 am

The Tories have tried to tell us many times that "the NHS is safe in our hands", but very few people believe that is the case.

I agree that only the Labour Party in power can save the NHS from the Tory privatisation dogma.
    Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1316
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Thu 29 Sep 2016, 2:58 pm

Good. I would like these outsourced parts of the NHS brought back into public ownership as soon as possible.
    Gandhi
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Number of posts : 251
    Registration date : 2015-05-09

Post by Gandhi on Fri 30 Sep 2016, 10:30 am

Same old loony left BS eh? The NHS as a concept is safe in anyones hands I would assert. How we get there differs according to who you ask. Labour as usual throws money at it - as they have in the past - and yet according to the media still seems to be short of cash. PFI is just a red herring - it is merely a mortgage. What they should not have done is bought the stuff in the first place if they couldn't afford it. The problem is that people like you don't know how to run a business and just repeat mindless political dogma that is essentially unhelpful. There is no harm in using private funds to run a service if it is economical to do so. The NHS is no different from the rest of us and should be subject to scrutiny as to how it spends its money.

Personally I have used my local NHS services a lot lately and find them prefectly adequate. I see none of the scare stories whipped up by the media.

As the little boys prayer once said "Oh Lord please help me keep my mouth shut until I know what I am talkling about"

Lets have some positive stories about the nhs eh?
    Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Post by Hell's Granny on Fri 30 Sep 2016, 11:56 am

A the sharp end, there IS nothing apparently wrong withe the NHS; but it's deceptive. Rather like the swan sailing serenely on the lake, you can't see the frantic paddling below!

In my area, the Ambulance Service is Failing miserably, not meeting response times by hours on some occasions, drivers in danger of falling asleep at the wheel, etc.

Paramedics, doctors and nurses are all burning out from the pressure of targets, waiting times and other less obvious problems.

I don't know what it is like for you, trying to get an appointment with your GP, but to see mine I have to wait more than a month, and to see any GP in my practice is three weeks plus.

As a former nurse, I know full well what hospital staff have to go through to deliver safe care.

I really wish you would look at the whole picture before  responding.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 30 Sep 2016, 12:08 pm

"Adequate" it might be in some areas, but there needs to be a very serious cash injection to the NHS in order to get it out of the bind it is now in.

It would also help if some of the more expensive sections of our NHS were sorted out, like the drugs bill, the top echelons wages, and the awful cost of hiring agency doctors and nurses.

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Post by Hell's Granny on Fri 30 Sep 2016, 12:29 pm

Agreed; the 'bean counters' cut staffing levels to the bone, and then when staff go sick from overwork they have no choice but to employ Agency Staff at exhorbitant rates. Most Agency Nurses I know would much prefer the option of a regular, hours guaranteed contract within the NHS to a zero hours job on an Agency. It isn't the Nurses who get the money, it is the Agency! Been there, done it.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 01 Oct 2016, 11:08 am

I think the main drive for not having enough doctors and nurses on contract to the NHS is the fact that they are afraid they might finish up with too many and have to pay them even although they might not have posts for them.

The thing is that every essential service like the NHS SHOULD have spare staff to take up the slack for sickness and annual leave etc', but at the moment the only way that this can be done is by the employment of agency doctors and nurses, which cost anything up to four times what a permanent doctor or nurse costs.

It's a false economy and the quicker the "bean counters" find this out the better.

Papa......

Gandhi
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by Gandhi on Mon 03 Oct 2016, 8:16 am

It sounds to me HG what you are describing is 'business as usual' - most organisations look different when you work for them than when you are a customer. You will never achieve perfection, and doing your dirty laundry in full view through the media is actually unhelpful as is throwing more money at the problem - all you get is more waste.

I prefer to let those paid for the job get on with it. I know I hate it when people offer me advice on how to do my job when they know nothing about what I do. You would never tell an electrician how to fix a fault for example, or a plumber how to repair your central heating. You just let them get on with it.

As to your wait for a GP 1 month is unacceptable but I wait a week with same day appointments available for urgent cases. Ambulance response seems OK last time I called one and the paramedics seem infuriatingly cheerful and satisfied with their job. I live in a county town in England - nothing special, not London.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 03 Oct 2016, 10:24 am

"I prefer to let those paid for the job get on with it." What a really stupid comment from you Gandhi, as if everything was as rosy as you seem to think it is we would never need outside help to try to sort our poor and simply rotten services.

You obviously have no experience of real life as if you did you would not make such a thoughtless comment.

As usual, all you are looking for is baseless argument and invective.

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Post by Hell's Granny on Mon 03 Oct 2016, 11:16 am

I don't live in London either; I'm in Hampshire.

The view from 'within' is essential if you are to understand what NHS staff do, and the actual stress and hardship they endure whilst doing it.

Many staff cannot take breaks during their 12-14 hour shifts, leading to loss of concentration because of hypoglycaemia (this is not something that only diabetics suffer); if your brain doesn't have enough glycogen it starts to shut down, as do your muscles, resulting in poor decision making and clumsiness, which could result in your death as a patient.

This also leads to staff illness and mental burnout, as they cannot physically give the standard of service that is expected of them. When staff go sick, then Agency staff have to be employed at vast expense, not to mention that agency staff, whilst qualified, do not know the Department or the way it works. They are there purely to tell the world that the department has it's full quota of qualified staff. even if the person is as much use as a chocolate teapot!

The Government also rations training places on Medical and Nurse training, leading every five years or so to the necessity to recruit nursing and medical staff from abroad instead of having a 'pool' of staff to choose from who actually speak good English. Some Staff are almost incomprehensible.

As I have said before, if you want to argue, please make your arguments from a position of strength; In other words, do some research and learn something beforehand. Please engage brain prior to putting your mouth into gear!
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 04 Oct 2016, 11:29 am

Well said HG.

It is good to hear an argument based on fact coming from someone who knows what they re talking about.

Pay attention Gandhi, as if you read as religiously as you write you can learn something of importance here.

Papa......

Gandhi
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by Gandhi on Sat 08 Oct 2016, 2:30 pm

Thanks HG - Its like you never read my post at all. I said that from within people are always whingeing and moaning and could always do it better than their bosses etc etc. I work for a (Hampshire based funnily enough) national company and we get the same old BS as you.

As to you Paps - you have no place to criticise me for lack of experience - as a pen pusher for most of your life what do you have to contribute? If you were so good why aren't you up there with Richard Branson doing the ice bucket challenge?

Gimme a break puhleeeese
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 09 Oct 2016, 11:57 am

I didn't say I was "so good", even although I have more experience of life than just "pen-pushing".

Let me tell you that after a very full life of 72 years, I am fully qualified in two trades and one profession, including being a time served joiner with advanced City and Guilds of London certificates, and I am fully trained in the installation and set-up of domestic satellite receiver systems, and ran my own business doing this for four years, until Sky beat off all of the independent installers. I have also twenty-two years in the Civil Service, finishing up as a Principle Civil Servant with early retirement and a damned good Civil Service pension.

I also have the ability to create and be the editor and webmaster for a web-site ---- this one.

Can you say that you have even half of the experience of life that I have ?

NOW... let's get back to the topic instead of just wearing further and further away from it.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 17 Dec 2017, 9:30 pm