Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Mile long asteroid coming very close today.

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12108
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Mile long asteroid coming very close today.

Post by papa_umau on Wed 21 Sep 2016, 2:57 pm

MILE-LONG monster asteroid heads towards earth TODAY

A MONSTER mile-long asteroid that could cause global devastation if it struck is set to pass the Earth within hours.

The space rock, called 2004 BO41, is estimated at anywhere from 700 metres to a mile in length.

The celestial body, which has been observed since its discovery in 2004, will pass at a relatively comfortable 7.3 million miles, which is still considered a "near Earth pass" by NASA due to the size of the cosmos.

But, whereas, the US space agency is almost certain of the object's orbit, a smaller asteroid, which is coming in much closer, and on an uncertain flight path, a few days later is being monitored much more closely.

Read the full story from The Daily Express online HERE

Being a bit of a science fiction and fact nut, I have always been interested in the risk that our earth undergoes every time a rogue celestial body passes close by us.

As many scientists agree that it was just such an asteroid blast that killed off the dinosaurs there is always a chance - even if it is a very slim one - that this could happen again.

It is known in the annals of science as a "total extinction event" as if the asteroid that crashes is big enough, the output of dust and debris could cause a "nuclear winter" where all life on earth could be wiped out.

Now, the science bit: Twisted Evil

At the outside of our solar system is an area where the "Oort cloud" of loose asteroids has it's domain.

This massive cloud of rocks and ice often calves off a number of asteroids that get within the inner circles of our solar system, and although most of them are sucked up by the massive gravity of the gas giants like Saturn and Jupiter a few get past and into the inner orbits of planets like the Earth.

Actually, every year there are thousands of smaller asteroids that reach earth and simply burn up in our dense atmosphere, but now and again there are one or two that don't fully burn up, and these are called meteorites. They are mostly made up of iron, as that is all that is left once they pass through our atmosphere, but a big enough one could hit the earth intact.

What do you folks think of this risk and does it bother you, OR NOT ?

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2520
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: Mile long asteroid coming very close today.

Post by zathrus on Thu 22 Sep 2016, 11:05 am

You just love to lecture to us Paps, don't you.

I thought I already knew about the Oort cloud as is it not the asteroid belt that is positioned between Mars and Jupiter ?
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 23 Sep 2016, 11:05 am

Haven't heard any more so I guess it must have missed. Twisted Evil

Yes, Zathrus, sometimes I get carried away with science news and I want other people to get the same joy I get from stuff like this.

I am sure that very few, other than scientists or cosmologists are aware of the massive band of asteroids called the Oort cloud that sits out on the edge of our solar system.

It is actually hard to imagine such a great size as this cloud goes right round the outside of our solar system on the plane of the ecliptic. Some of the asteroids that are inside this cloud are as big as earth or the other small planets are and if they are "bumped" off their normal track round the solar system and they get INSIDE the system and escape the massive gravity pull from the gas giants there is nothing to stop them getting close to earth as they pass.

Our own gravity-well is not insubstantial.

If one stops to think about this it becomes quite a scary possibility.

Papa......

Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2406
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 24 Sep 2016, 12:23 pm

Nope, I didn't hear any big bang either. Evil or Very Mad

It is nice that you go to the trouble to try to explain this "science" to us, but even as a teacher myself, I find this stuff hard to understand.

I do know that not a few science fiction films were made out of the idea that eventually the earth is going to be destroyed by a big asteroid or comet hitting us, but I imagine that the chances of this happening are very very small.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 25 Sep 2016, 12:52 pm

Yes many science-fiction films have been made based on this principle and it is because the principle exists that there is a ring of truth in these films.

Another bit of science:

Around the 30th of July 1908 a very large Asteroid or Comet exploded above the Tunguska forest area of Siberia and the trees were flattened outwards from the epicentre of this explosion over a very large area.

As this asteroid or comet did not actually strike the earth, no crater was found, but it has been said that if it had come to earth at this point it would/could have kicked up enough material to blank out the sun around the world for many days. ( a miniature ice-age could have been the result ).

Here is a video from YouTube about this:

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1226
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Sun 25 Sep 2016, 11:42 pm

Personally, as there is nothing we (the general public) can do about these 'events'; apart from running around like headless chickens, I refuse to panic about them.

All these 'end of the world' scenarios are totally outside our control, and in all probability, the one that 'gets' us will be an instant kill, and even should I survive the impact; I would find some method of finishing myself off with as little pain as possible.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 26 Sep 2016, 9:19 am

You may find that if you are one of just a few that survive an "end of existence event", that you may want to try to help to re-populate the earth to stop the human race being totally wiped out.

I do agree though, that there will be very little that individuals - other than the worlds most powerful and important leaders - that can do anything about it.

If it is an approaching big asteroid or comet the authorities will know enough about it to try to change it's angle of attack or destroy it by the use of atomic intercontinental ballistic missiles. ( They don't normally leave the gravity well of the earth, but they could be made to escape into space and defend us from this kind of an attack ).

If they cannot do this then I am sure that the world's governments will have a nice quiet hole to take cover in.

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1226
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Mon 26 Sep 2016, 1:48 pm

papa_umau wrote:You may find that if you are one of just a few that survive an "end of existence event", that you may want to try to help to re-populate the earth to stop the human race being totally wiped out.

Wink At My age? I couldn't help with repopulation, but I would probably be able to teach basic nursing and First Aid skills, although the wheelchair wouldn't help a lot! I could probably administrate a basic hospital, and I know enough of Bushcraft to be able to make water clean to drink and how to cook in pit ovens, etc., basic wind and water turbines can be manufactured reasonably easily. Shelters can be basic or more elaborate, we only need look back to our Bronze and Iron Age ancestors.

The problem from my experience would mainly be the young complaining about the Old days when they could recharge their Social media technology! Oh, the deprivation! Laughing

However, I would probably be looked on as an unnecessary mouth to feed, and therefore disposable.

I have given thought to post-apocalyptic survival, and, If I weren't disabled and old, would love to live off-grid .
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 27 Sep 2016, 11:07 am

Thanks HG, I found your response quite amusing. Laughing

Of course I didn't mean you in particular, I was just generalising about what might happen to the human race after a nuclear winter caused by a big asteroid striking on land.

I too would not be much use in such a situation, as at 72 I would just be another "mouth to feed!" as well.

Strangely, just like your medical training, I have been trained up by the now-defunct Civil Defence to be able to rescue, give basic emergency medical treatment and even to run field cables in the event of a nuclear war.

As a member of the Civil Defence forces I was promoted to sergeant and given charge of a telephone field cable team, and also trained up at intelligence and operations and what to do if I was effected by radiation.

Now that is gone too as is the Civil Defence and we no longer have such groups that might help in a possible "end of existence" scenario.

Anyway, my dear, I do not dwell on these possibilities. sunny

Papa......

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Tue 27 Sep 2016, 11:12 am

zathrus wrote:You just love to lecture to us Paps, don't you.

I thought I already knew about the Oort cloud as is it not the asteroid belt that is positioned between Mars and Jupiter ?

I just noticed Zath' that you thought that the Oort cloud was the actual asteroid belt that is within the orbits of Mars and Jupiter.

In fact, although our "own asteroid belt" can also calve off a few free bits and they too can get into the close orbits of the Earth, the massive Oort cloud on the outside of our solar system is the main asteroid belt that sends such dangerous and large projectiles into the heart of our planetary system.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 26 Jul 2017, 1:38 pm