Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Points based immigration "not an option " .

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12456
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Points based immigration "not an option " .

Post by papa_umau on Mon 05 Sep 2016, 11:51 am

Points-Based Immigration System 'Not An Option' - Downing Street

Downing Street dismisses one of the key policy pledges by Vote Leave campaigners in the EU referendum, saying it "will not work".

An Australian-style system was one of the key policy pledges made by Vote Leave campaigners including Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson during the EU referendum campaign.

But Number 10 said: "The precise way in which the Government will control the movement of EU nationals to Britain after Brexit is yet to be determined.

Read the full story from Sky News HERE

I think that the resistance to the already-successful Australian points system is because it allows foreigners in so long as they have enough points. This means that the system decides and not the government.

After reading the full link, what do you good folks say about the points system of immigration.

Papa......

Nuthin fancy
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 470
    Registration date : 2015-05-07

points Based system

Post by Nuthin fancy on Tue 06 Sep 2016, 10:51 am

Hi All,

Well, it works for the Australians. They have reduced illegal immigration at a stroke. Problem with 'Sharia May' is that she seems all talk and very little action. I am dubious about her new idea being 'better' than the points system, and there is already concern from those of us who voted OUT that she is dragging her feet on Article 50.

She says BREXIT means BREXIT, so she had better deliver. She is being watched very closely on all of this. I can assure you that if she renages on the democratic vote there will be hell to play in this country and he political career will be peanuts.

Despite the doom mongering of the REMAINERS the promised fianancial/political downfall has not happened. In fact a good part of the economy is booming. It will not be easy, but the trends are looking good. Even Sturgeon is starting to back peddal as she realises that a large % of the Scottish voters do not want a second independance referendum, particularly as the economy is so weak in Scotland and the domestic situation so dire.

Open border free for all in an independent Scotland would be a nightmare. Taxes will go through the roof and civil unrest will follow. No, we need a sensible immigration policy, stop all and sundry coming in, and in the first instance throw all the illegals OUT.

Technician
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Re: Points based immigration "not an option " .

Post by papa_umau on Tue 06 Sep 2016, 11:11 am

Even as a remainer myself I do think that the Australian points system is a system that has been proven to work.

Mrs May does not want the control of immigration to get out of the hands of the government and that is why she is resisting the Australian system.

With so many people wanting decisions to be made by the government, for or against, we are just going to see the debacle that Cameron presided over getting even worse.

All governments have a history of trying to please too many people and that is why we have not seen any definite system of immigration controls.

I say....Adopt the Australian system NOW.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2619
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Fri 09 Sep 2016, 11:49 am

I really cannot understand why Theresa May and the rest of the Tories are so against the Australian points filtration system as it works very well in Australia.

What Paps says is right that May just does not want to hand over any immigration power to a fixed and clear points system as they like to keep that power at their own fingertips.
    Angie baby
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2501
    Registration date : 2008-08-30

Post by Angie baby on Sat 10 Sep 2016, 1:04 pm

That's what it is all about:

If the Australian system was adopted and the immigrant applications fitted within the brief, the government would not be able to stop them coming in. They do not like that idea.
    Gandhi
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Number of posts : 251
    Registration date : 2015-05-09

Post by Gandhi on Sat 10 Sep 2016, 3:51 pm

I'll wager that none of you know what the 'Australian points based system' even is!

As I understand it the system allows immigration still - at levels decided by the government so maybe that is why May doesn't want it - the referendum was about NO immigration.

G
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 12 Sep 2016, 1:00 pm

You would lose that wager as it is common knowledge that if you have enough accrued "points" in Australia you are allowed in. This does not say how easy or hard it is to "accrue such points".

The referendum was NOT about "no immigration" as that would simply be nonsense, just like most of the stuff you spout on ROB.

Papa......

Gandhi
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by Gandhi on Thu 15 Sep 2016, 7:40 am

I thought personal attacks were the last refuge of someone losing an argument?

The points system means immigration is permitted at levels decided by the goverment. I believe the general drift of the referendum was no more immigration which the quitters backtracked on because of its racist overtones. As a presumed hard liner i would expect May to try and deliver that hence no points based system. there is no point having a system where you need 100 points to get in which are unachieveable - just say NO
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Thu 15 Sep 2016, 11:23 am

NO...unlike what Theresa May wants, the points system decides who gets in if they have enough "points". If they HAVE enough points in their application they get in no matter what the government thinks.

THAT is why May does not want the points system, as used successfully in Australia, as she wants all of the power at her fingertips that she might need to allow in or not. Typically Tory if you ask me.

While there will be a cut-off line in the points system it would be foolish to say that it would be set at 100 percent.

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2619
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Post by zathrus on Thu 15 Sep 2016, 11:39 am

Well explained Paps.

Here is a site that discusses the Australian points migration system: http://www.migrationwatchuk.org/briefing-paper/346

In fact this explanation purports that this system is in fact not one that restricts immigration, it is actually a way of encouraging immigration while keeping a tight record of who gets in.

The British governments of the past have never counted incomers so they have no clue about how many immigrants are in the country at any one time.

If you are just looking for another argument Gandhi, you are not going to get me to bite.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Fri 16 Sep 2016, 11:25 am

Well said Zathrus, and thanks for the link.

I have found that most trolls or anarchists like Gandhi only come to places like this to foment bad feeling and it is great that none of the rest of you are caught in his trap.

He needs to watch his p's-and-q's in the future or he will be gone via two clicks of my mouse.

I hope you are reading this Gandhi.

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1284
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Fri 16 Sep 2016, 3:13 pm

I believe Canada also operates a similar 'Points' System for immigration.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 17 Sep 2016, 11:51 am

Yes, my dear you are right, as usual, and anyone wishing to migrate to Canada needs to have accumulated 67 points for this to happen.

It seems like the best and the clearest way to vet possible immigrants, and I have no idea why the Tories would not introduce it other than to have a reserved and sketchy political strangle-hold on who comes into Britain.

Papa......

Gandhi
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post by Gandhi on Fri 23 Sep 2016, 3:29 pm

Jeez - Because the referendum was about stopping immigration not about continuing to let people in. Ask Tech.

G
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 24 Sep 2016, 11:39 am

I don't need to "ask Tech" as you say, as the referendum was not just about "stopping" immigration as that would be impossible to do; it was much more complicated than that.

Britain would never be like a Trump world where high walls are built between states that offer entry to immigrants that would be assets to the country that the want to come to.

As usual, your views on this are far too simplistic.

I really don't know why I bother trying to talk to you with reason.

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1284
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Sat 24 Sep 2016, 1:23 pm

Ghandi, you really are missing the point. We depend on Foreign workers in the NHS, because there are not enough training places for Medical Students and Nursing Students in Britain; also the cost of training is exhorbitant, leaving newly qualified staff with the option of gaining decent accommodation or paying back the gigantic student debts they accrue during training. Many go abroad to avoid paying these loans, leaving us with an acute shortfall of medical and Nursing staff, which leads to poor staff/patient ratios on wards and to less than adequate care in hospitals. There is an inordinate hoo-ha when a case of poor care comes up; but nothing positive to prevent it's recurrence.

We need to be able to sort the wheat from the chaff on the Immigration front, accepting those whose qualifications we need, probably on flexible term Contracts; rejecting those we don't. We have been too lax in the past, I will admit, and the eventual Brexit will help to remedy this, as long as the Government holds firm on Free Movement of EU Citizens. We cannot allow all and sundry in; we are already overpopulated in certain areas, but we must allow certain (short term) immigrants, until we can sort out the mess successive Governments have left us. Repatriating overstayers and those with no useful skills will also help.

To stop immigration completely we must turn Britain into a Fortress, Massively increase Border Force and spread them to all areas of entry; also boost Coastguard numbers and equipment. Britain doesn't have the money to do this with Government Ministers and large Corporations hiding their wealth in Tax havens; This MUST stop if we are ever to balance our Budget. and do everything which needs doing here. The whole country is being ripped off by Big Pharma, Unum, Maximus, Atos, G4S, Serco and the like.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sun 25 Sep 2016, 11:46 am

Beautifully created and explained HG. ( A lot of work must have went into that response ). I love you

A well thought out argument like that can never be defeated by the likes of Gandhi and his extremist views.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 20 Oct 2017, 1:13 pm