Ripped-Off Britain

* THE ONE AND ONLY, TRUE AND ORIGINAL, 'RIPPED-OFF' WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET *

SEE THE NEW "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" THREAD: HERE - - and - - LOOK AT OUR NEW "CAR-BUYING GUIDE" SUB-FORUM: HERE

Are the cops getting just too keen on breathalising the drivers ?

papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 12108
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Are the cops getting just too keen on breathalising the drivers ?

Post by papa_umau on Thu 11 Aug 2016, 4:52 pm

Drink-Drive Blitz Snares Thousands Of Motorists

A police blitz finds a tenth of drivers stopped failed alcohol tests and almost half of those tested failed drug checks.

A summer blitz has caught thousands of drunk and drugged drivers, police have said.

There were 45,000 breath tests carried out in England, Wales and Northern Ireland between 10 June and 10 July.

Of those, 4,539 were found to be positive, refused - meaning the driver would not take the test - or failed, which means the test was taken but was not enough to determine a result.

During the same time period, police screened 2,588 drivers for drugs and 1,028 of those tests came back positive.

Get the full story from Sky News HERE

While I would never condone drink or drugs driving it is now seeming that the cops are just far too keen on prosecuting drivers instead of all of the other crimes that are committed every day.

What do you say ?

Papa......

zathrus
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Number of posts : 2520
    Registration date : 2008-08-21

Re: Are the cops getting just too keen on breathalising the drivers ?

Post by zathrus on Fri 12 Aug 2016, 12:03 pm

While catching drunk or drugged drivers has to be a good thing I do NOT agree with targeting single areas by hundreds of cops and their little radar guns just to say that they have a great example of drink-driving convictions.

I have found that when anyone has been stopped for speeding they almost always find reason for breathalysing the driver too.

Also, when certain areas are targeted and snowed under by cops this means that all of the other areas are getting away with it.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Sat 13 Aug 2016, 12:08 pm

I have always hated the Targetting ethic that the police use nowadays as they seem to think that if they blitz a certain area looking for a certain type of criminal they think their figures will look good when they are reported.

As you say Zathrus, when they are doing that in a particular area they are laving other areas wide open for criminality.

Papa......

Hell's Granny
    General
    General

Number of posts : 1226
    Registration date : 2009-10-14

Post by Hell's Granny on Sun 14 Aug 2016, 2:01 pm

What bothers me is that GPs don't advise drivers when their medication can trigger a positive test.

Although I no longer drive, the mixture of medications I take for my various ailments would get me prosecuted.

Many folk don't understand they can be putting themselves and others at risk when driving with these medications in their systems. Just being on a prescription doesn't get you off a charge of drug driving.

If you take medication for a long-term illness, particularly if there is pain medication involved; check with your regular pharmacist. They know much more than GPs about drug interactions and what is safe if you drive.
    papa_umau
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Post by papa_umau on Mon 15 Aug 2016, 12:28 pm

I have to admit that I have never considered that one HG.

As I take four different pills in the morning and three at night I might have to get advice about driving too.

Thanks for the edge-up my dear.

Papa......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 26 Jul 2017, 1:41 pm